It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give me back my Spider-Man!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I know I'm way late on this one. Years, in fact.

I am a very big Spider-Man nerd. I'm not sorry.

My latest big purchase was issue #101 Spider-Man Vs. Morbius (the vampire before vampires became all sparkly and gai.)

My point being, I have a pretty intense collection of the classic comics going.

I loved Toby Maguire and I still think he played the best Peter Parker. Sam Raimi got so many things right, it was the closest we ever got. Raimi understood the characters and their environment. Yeah it wasn't all perfect though, and some studio meddling cut the franchise short.

Sony's stab at the brand was just...half-assed, like any major studio does these days. They put the half-ass in and that's all you get back, half an ass. The potential was there, the execution was awful, and the opportunity was wasted.

And finally I just saw the new Marvel iterations of the wall-crawler. Michael Keaton was good but there wasn't enough of him in the film. I don't even know what's going on in the 2nd film and can't be bothered. It's large CGI monsters and that shizz is boring.

It seems like the people in Hollywood are the last ones who should be in charge of creativity and writing. They seem to know less about what makes a good movie than anyone. (I know, I know it's a business. It's not meant to be art.)

But why can't film be art too? Why does it have to be assembly line pig trough!

You know what would make a damn good Spider-Man movie? You know what I've been wanting for almost 20 years now?

Spider-Man vs. Kraven the Hunter.

I'm not even sure who would make a great Kraven, but the psychological drama and potential for deep-seated conflict is there. It could be another Wrath of Khan. It could be powerful and emotional and moving.

But you know why it'll never be made?

Because the conflict is more personal and less explody. It wouldn't require GCI monsters, stunts, fireworks, or spastic camera operators.

It would require good writing and that's why it'll never happen in Hollywood.

edit on 12-9-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Spiderman always annoyed me. He's kind of a whiny little bitch that's pretty much responsible for his uncle's death and just can't man up about it.

Also, you've just inadvertently started a spiderman thread on ats...you know the rules..

edit on 12/9/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

You're not completely wrong

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:54 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Have you seen Far From Home yet? Unwatchable horribly written garbage. Felt like the high school students it revolved around we’re responsible for writing their own dialog. Very Disney channel-esk

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Rumor has it that Kraven will be a major character in Spiderman 3 with Tom Holland. Apparently Sony is also working on a Kraven movie that focuses on him as the main character.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Tom Holland has done a great job with Spiderman. The problem with the newest SM movies is that Sony won’t release the rights and the MCU has had the foot the bill and try to co-create the Spider-Man movies so they could use spidey in the Avengers movies. Sony won’t give up or sell the rights and they’re trying to milk a cash cow that isn’t really there’s anymore.

Honestly my biggest problem with Spider-Man in the movies is that Sony forced a couple flops down our throats where “The Amazing Spider-Man” sandwiched in between Toby McGuires version and Tom Holland’s version. It felt like all they were trying to do was replicate the success of the first three without really trying. But the Tom Holland version works better when you look at him in the entirety of the MCU and the Sony movies.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Too bad I’m not willing to show you guys my iterations of spider man and how things turn out. I love the character morbius. I liked him in the cartoon back in the 90’s when Parker started turning into a spider human mutant too

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I'll tell you what's the problem with all Spiderman movies. They used the wrong time, those movies had to be set in the late 60's. Way cooler by the way.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Nothing beats the 70s The Amazing spider-man

The new ones just ain't amazing at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

A Kraven vs Spiderman movie, would kick more ass than Chuck Norris in a donkey kicking contest...

As far as casting goes, I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan would make an awesome Kraven.

It's not as if they can't just cgi his muscles. Like when they turned Chris Evans into a 90 lb wimp for "The First Avenger".

I might actually be motivated to see that in a theater. I haven't set foot in one since 2012, I prefer to sit on my couch with my dog, beer, and weed...

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Have a watch. This is the most worthwhile rant I’ve seen in a while, and it gives a nice background on what has, and is happening in the DC and Marvel world.

It gives some perspective on why both have gone into suckville, where they will remain for the foreseeable future.

LANGUAGE WARNING, kids...

edit on 12-9-2020 by CoramDeo because: TTT

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm a Marvel junkie of old days. What does that mean? I started reading comics when I was a kid in the late 60s. DC never interested me all that much, but Spiderman was my childhood hero. At that time my favorites were Spidey, Ghost Rider and a few others but I collected and traded most of the characters with other kids my age. I had an extensive collection up until 1980 when most of them were lost in a garage fire at our house.

After that I still bought them and have some today, and I pick them up at yard sales when I find them. Up until around 1991 that is. They changed a lot of their staff along with the design of the characters, turning the men into dorks and the women into bimbos. They lost me at that point. I don't watch the movies either after seeing the first Spiderman. Toby was a horrible choice, his persona in the movie was not like Parker's in the older comic series. He tried to be cute and funny and that's not Spidey.

I'll just live with the older comics and memories. Oh the memories...

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Your spiderman?

Is this stan lee back from the dead?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Rumor has it that Kraven will be a major character in Spiderman 3 with Tom Holland. Apparently Sony is also working on a Kraven movie that focuses on him as the main character.

This is what I was going to say!

It's in the works.

My fear is it will be like Daredevil/Punisher that Netflix just did. It was Ok. Maybe good at times. But no where as wonderful as the comics.

They have all the capability for special effects in the world now, they just seem to have no one that can take advantage of it and tell a good story.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Maybe they'll shift Spider-Man back to something a wee bit more competent if the rumors about Disney purging the woke to some extent are true.

At any rate, I don't think Tom Holland is bad, but I think it's his material.

Look at Batman and Robin for an example. Does anyone believe that Schwarzenegger and Thurman were as bad at acting as that movie made them seem? Nah, it's the material they had to work with.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I can't appreciate Spider Man unless he's genderqueer.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How come there is no Spider Ma'am ?

I'm thinking because of Nazis.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
How come there is no Spider Ma'am ?

I'm thinking because of Nazis.

Maybe in the next woke installment, Peter could grapple with the understanding that he's always been Patricia, and Mary Jane could understand that she's always secretly been a butch lesbian.

<<   2 >>

join