It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers' pre-trial Defense in George Floyd death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I didn't see anyone post this, so I thought you all might want to see it.

abcnews.go.com...

Nelson also included Minneapolis Police Department training materials on the proper use of the "Maximal Restraint Technique," in which photos show demonstrations of officers simulating putting their knee on a handcuffed subject's neck. Nelson argued the training material appeared to contradict a statement made shortly after the incident by Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo that he had not seen "anything that says you place your knee on someone's neck when they're facedown, handcuffed."

"Thus, any risk created by Mr. Chauvin's conduct lies largely with those who train MPD officers and those who approve such training," Nelson wrote in the motion filed on Friday.

Nelson also cited the autopsy conducted on Floyd that found fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system, a combination of drugs Nelson says is known as a speedball. He noted that the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's post-mortem report showed Floyd had arteriosclerotic and hypertensive heart disease, hypertension and sickle cell trait. Floyd also purportedly told the officers that he had contracted COVID-19 and was still positive for the virus at the time of his death, a claim confirmed by his autopsy.

They will probably be Acquitted as this will introduce Doubt to any Jury.
edit on 12-9-2020 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

I bet the other attorneys will try to say Floyd's past doesn't have any bearing on the case right before they go on to say something about Chauvin's past.

Besides that, Floyd wasn't even pronounced dead at the scene and because of that, Chauvin won't (or shouldn't) be found guilty of the charges they brought against him.
edit on 12-9-2020 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:15 AM
link   
the problem here is the SA and the chief of police went for the charges the MOB wanted instead of looking at ALL THE FACTS.

they went for SECOND DEGREE MURDER charges and nothing else to appease them..

something that requires INTENT to kill him or take actions that they KNEW would result in death

this IGNORES the following KNOWN FACTS .

1. This tactic is used thousands of times (if not more) correctly for DECADES with no pattern this being sole cause of death.

2. floyd was FIGHTING the officers and REFUSING to get in the car...

3. He DIDNT die on the scene

4. had enough illegal drugs in him death was gonna happen very soon... no matter what.

all of these factors/facts (and a few more) would have come to light IF THEY HAD FINISHED THE INVESTIGATION BEFORE FIRING AND CHARGING THE OFFICERS.

What is a true travesty of justice and probably doomed their case was they CHARGED THEM BEFORE AN INVESTIGATION WAS DONE.

in fact they charged them before an investigation HAD EVEN HAD TIME TO FULLY START.

now even if (which could be a possibility) they took established and approved tactics too far/long they by charging them this high cannot get a conviction

or to be more accurate IF THEY FOLLOW THE LAW the evidence (as presented so far) does not support the charge , thus an acquittal where trying it later falls under double jeopardy .

this is what happens when you let "emotions" and "the mob" influence justice.

but on a side note i suspect they will be not by law but "social justice" either found guilty by some legal twisting or be charged again until the mob is satisfied and things like JUSTICE, RIGHTS, FACTS be damned.

scrounger

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I bet the other attorneys will try to say Floyd's past doesn't have any bearing on the case right before they go on to say something about Chauvin's past.

Besides that, Floyd wasn't even pronounced dead at the scene and because of that, Chauvin won't (or shouldn't) be found guilty of the charges they brought against him.

That's actually pretty normal in any court trial.

Legally speaking, both a rapist and a rape victim can argue that their past should be kept out of a trial because it would prejudice a jury. The trial is about the event at hand, not about past events. You can have a serial rapist go to trial and his past history can be kept from a jury because he's not on trial for any of those past crimes, and the same with a rape victim, if she has an expansive sexual history with a lot of men, that can be kept form the jury in case it's used to make her seem like she invited it.

In the case of Floyd, his past isn't really relevant to the case as it was his erratic behavior during the arrest that triggered the restraint hold, not his criminal record.

Or to put it simply, he got a knee on the neck because he was tweaking out, not because of his criminal history. And he'd have gotten that same knee on the neck even if he'd never been in rouble before.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Trying to apply this logic to Kobe and his accuser and some underwear.

Is not computing....and no I ain’t figured out the angle I’m coming from either

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
IF this procedure (Knee on neck) is in training manual.....case WILL be dismissed, officers WILL be re-instated.

The End

Oh....except Floyds family is now rich with millions.... Now they can hire a white butler, white cook, white maids, and white driver....

originally posted by: CryHavoc
I didn't see anyone post this, so I thought you all might want to see it.

abcnews.go.com...

Nelson also included Minneapolis Police Department training materials on the proper use of the "Maximal Restraint Technique," in which photos show demonstrations of officers simulating putting their knee on a handcuffed subject's neck. Nelson argued the training material appeared to contradict a statement made shortly after the incident by Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo that he had not seen "anything that says you place your knee on someone's neck when they're facedown, handcuffed."

"Thus, any risk created by Mr. Chauvin's conduct lies largely with those who train MPD officers and those who approve such training," Nelson wrote in the motion filed on Friday.

Nelson also cited the autopsy conducted on Floyd that found fentanyl and methamphetamine in his system, a combination of drugs Nelson says is known as a speedball. He noted that the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's post-mortem report showed Floyd had arteriosclerotic and hypertensive heart disease, hypertension and sickle cell trait. Floyd also purportedly told the officers that he had contracted COVID-19 and was still positive for the virus at the time of his death, a claim confirmed by his autopsy.

They will probably be Acquitted as this will introduce Doubt to any Jury.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Oh....except Floyds family is now rich with millions.... Now they can hire a white butler, white cook, white maids, and white driver....

Proof if ever needed that there is no such thing as 'white privilage'

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Floyd also purportedly told the officers that he had contracted COVID-19 and was still positive for the virus at the time of his death, a claim confirmed by his autopsy.

So, based on other all other deaths during this pandemic, this should be considered a Covid death, full stop.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
As time has passed and we’ve seen more of the evidence come out I believe that the cop is innocent of murder. Manslaughter? Maybe. But either way a “not-guilty” verdict could very well be heard based on his defense and how the prosecution is posturing their case.

But there’s just one problem....The streets will erupt in blood and fire if he’s found not-guilty. I’m not saying it’s right that some of the public is filled with such hatred and ignorance, I’m just saying that the media and the government has successfully filled their minds and emotions with lies and deceit to a point where anything other than a guilty verdict will create total madness worse than what we’re seeing already. Will the jury consider that when deliberating?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   

This could work as a defense. Although the prosecutor will argue that the length of time he maintained the hold, especially once the victim was unconscious, will prove that Chauvin was culpable.

It's also worth pointing out that this is pretty much the Nuremberg Defense. Chauvin was just following orders.

This defense seems nonsensical. Just because a suspect is sick and may soon die does not give an officer justification for an extrajudicial killing. A cop would not be exonerated for shooting a man with terminal cancer for no reason. So why should one be exonerated for essentially choking someone to death that has cardiovascular issues?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

And it should produce doubt.

I understand that cops should think for themselves but if their training is faulty that should be taken into consideration.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Not just reinstated. They will also get all pay that they have missed out on. I'd bet they also get a settlement from various agencies that would be civilly liable for such things as slander.

In fact, i doubt they will be reinstated. They will be paid a buttload of Minneapolis tax dollars to just go away. They can't work there anymore. The bridge was burnt and buried.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

if i were one of them, i'd begin filing individual lawsuits against people who filmed harassing them in public on Youtube.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I didn't mean to kneel on him for 9 minutes your honor.

IDK man, seems like they knew eachother and there was more going on than me and you will ever actually know.

Instead it got swept up into what it has become, I dont care what Floyd had done in his life but kneel on mans neck... idk man you got all those damn tools on that belt and back up etc yet you went with this move.

Face the music, you basically caused all these stupid #ing riots because of your idiotic actions.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Can't sue for being filmed in public.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Can't sue for being filmed in public.

No, but you can absolutely sue for being slandered publicly. The film isn't the issue....the issue is that people hounded them. called them names, and generally smeared their character for social media cred. I can dig up a video on the main interaction im thinking of (it was with the latino officer, not chauvin, while he was trying to shop for groceries).

And while they may not win, i fully support using some of their settlement money to make a point nationally: keep screwing with people publicly to get social media cred, you may be bankrupted in court.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I didn't mean to kneel on him for 9 minutes your honor.

IDK man, seems like they knew eachother and there was more going on than me and you will ever actually know.

Instead it got swept up into what it has become, I dont care what Floyd had done in his life but kneel on mans neck... idk man you got all those damn tools on that belt and back up etc yet you went with this move.

Face the music, you basically caused all these stupid #ing riots because of your idiotic actions.

If he was trained to do that, its not his bad. Its the fault of the people who trained him to do it, and approved of it prior to the incident.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

Proof if ever needed that there is no such thing as 'white privilage'

Sarcasm noted, only two of the officers involved are white.

A case could be made that Chauvin sped up the death of Floyd. If four officers can't restrain a perp without a knee on his neck for nine minutes they should be picking up dog poop in the park. I can still see some sort of homicide charge for Chauvin, negligent circumstances, whatever. The others should be removed from the force for life. Thin Blue Line or not, you don't let someone purposely try to cause great bodily harm for a phony bill. We've seen videos of other situations where a cop had his knee on a perp's neck and his partner moved it off. That's what should have been done.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   

So who does he sue?

MSM?

or random internet folk?

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Yeah I mean training eh, guess you can't train common sense?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join