It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA inmate firefighters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
In an article titled "California prison camp inmates battle Creek Fire" the Fresno Bee goes on to describe a dangerous/low wage action by firefighters in California. Amazingly enough, over 2,000 fire personnel on the scene of these wildfires are actively incarcerated in the CA prison system.

As much as I'd like to crap on Newsom for this, it's actually a great idea. I can think of fewer better ways to pick folks without a history of significant violence or escape and give them training/skills on the job while letting them contribute to the safety of their communities. I even approve of his effort to strike their criminal record once their sentence is served, letting them move on to professional Fire work.

So, in short, well done California.

Article for those interested: www.fresnobee.com...

Be nice. These folks are risking their lives for American communities, deserves some respect if you ask me. I care more about what someone is doing NOW than what they did yesterday

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

That's about the only thing that Cali has done lately that I'd support.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Me to Jim

Just a shame they don't try harder to work with us, we could do things like this all over the country and so much more

We have a President who is dead set on taking on legislative/judicial overreach and they act like vampires in the sun

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

My husband and I were talking about this yesterday. He told me that some states/counties have been working on legislation that would allow former felons who participate in these programs to bypass background checks and other barriers to employment after release so they can become gainfully employed as firefighters.

Obviously, some restrictions based on criminal history/convictions. But, I think it’s great!

My brother was in prison for a long time and despite his convictions not being violent, finding employment when he got out was his biggest obstacle to get his life back in order.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Arizona has been doing this for 20 years
edit on 11-9-2020 by Arizonaguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yeah, it's great,

If you support forced labor.

Idk about the west coast, but fire service doesn't hire felons where I live. If you have a record, you're not gonna get on a crew anywhere. so yeah, teaching "skills" is great, give them classroom time to get a cert. But still, when they serve their time, do you think they're gonna get a spot on the Hot Shots? LAFD? Get outta here. You need a degree, medical certs for FD, and the field to get into a position with wildland is incredibly fierce.

All this is, is CA using forced prison labor to throw bodies at a problem, and giving them a dollar a day for their trouble.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
In an article titled "California prison camp inmates battle Creek Fire" the Fresno Bee goes on to describe a dangerous/low wage action by firefighters in California. Amazingly enough, over 2,000 fire personnel on the scene of these wildfires are actively incarcerated in the CA prison system.

As much as I'd like to crap on Newsom for this, it's actually a great idea. I can think of fewer better ways to pick folks without a history of significant violence or escape and give them training/skills on the job while letting them contribute to the safety of their communities. I even approve of his effort to strike their criminal record once their sentence is served, letting them move on to professional Fire work.

So, in short, well done California.

Article for those interested: www.fresnobee.com...

Be nice. These folks are risking their lives for American communities, deserves some respect if you ask me. I care more about what someone is doing NOW than what they did yesterday

I think i agree with you. Even more, i find nothing to be more rehabilitative than acting usefully and engaging in community support. The pride they will get from the work alone is worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iconic

Yeah, it's great,

If you support forced labor.

Idk about the west coast, but fire service doesn't hire felons where I live. If you have a record, you're not gonna get on a crew anywhere. so yeah, teaching "skills" is great, give them classroom time to get a cert. But still, when they serve their time, do you think they're gonna get a spot on the Hot Shots? LAFD? Get outta here. You need a degree, medical certs for FD, and the field to get into a position with wildland is incredibly fierce.

All this is, is CA using forced prison labor to throw bodies at a problem, and giving them a dollar a day for their trouble.

I do not think you read him. The part about having records expunged after incarceration so they can serve on fire units.

Beyond that, its not slave labor insomuch as "put this fire out or we will all burn alive". This isn't men stitching shoes. Its men saving the lives of themselves, strangers int he area, and loved ones in the areas affected.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   
That kind of thing has been going on for a long time, here in B.C. it's fully voluntary. I even know a guy who worked the fires a few years ago.

Speaking of fires, the air is really bad here this last week, today particularly. The fires in Wash, and Oregon..hot too

edit on 11-9-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Since the 1970's, I've said we need a better response to forest fires. It's about time to modernize our fire fighting with bigger faster aircraft and some high tech toys. What we have now just doesn't cut it, too little too late.

Also there is a saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" more open range in fire prone area's would be a good start.

Really inmates with shovels, rolls eyes, how pathetic.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Great program, although how is "significant violence" defined? (Reading article, now... just in case it answers my question.)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
Since the 1970's, I've said we need a better response to forest fires. It's about time to modernize our fire fighting with bigger faster aircraft and some high tech toys. What we have now just doesn't cut it, too little too late.

Also there is a saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" more open range in fire prone area's would be a good start.

Inmates with shovels make firebreaks. Its useful grunt work, and really does help.

You are right, there needs to be improved response, and prevention. Land management strategies generally fix that, although admitting that annual wildfires is part/parcel to west coast life, and is actually part of the environment.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: AlaskanDad

Inmates with shovels make firebreaks. Its useful grunt work, and really does help.

You are right, there needs to be improved response, and prevention. Land management strategies generally fix that, although admitting that annual wildfires is part/parcel to west coast life, and is actually part of the environment.

And shovels can be used to plant crops and load gravel into dump trucks, but there a more efficient tools to get her donein a more timely manner.

Piss bags and shovels are good for mop ups, after the main fire is extinguished, mop up is a great place to put those inmates to work!

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Great thread! This is not a new system, but very glad you mentioned this. It's been an opportunity ( in only my opinion ) for non Flight risk people that yes committed crimes. Not violent, just really stupid life choices... at least back in the 90's. Not only did the inmates see a faster track to freedom. But they got training and stuck with it. They left the prison system with a critically needed job skills. Some went back to prison, but a good helping of them ended up with jobs and support system that kept them out of the prisons.

This is back breaking work. But if these inmates want a good chance. I absolutely support it.

At least i got full bunker gear and a desk. These guys show up with hiking gear, a helmet and a shovel.

Edit: did i mention they have to hike in 100+ degrees and sleep on dirt. Sure they might get a sleeping bag.
edit on 11-9-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I would have no problem with this Kind of thing my self EXCEPT when they do get paid its dollars a day That Undermines any one else who may be qualified from getting the job and it Undermines the Inmates as the BIGGEST problem when relised IS most ARE jobless with no place to go and have a 100 Bucks and a bus ticket and people wonder why so many re offended .

Prisons for profit is the name of the game . Wipe the slate clean would help Ill say But having a JOB and PLACE to go is ALOT more important in keep a person clean .

HONESTLY expect for VIOLENT crime I believe a record should auto wip after 5 years OF NO crimes .
Why go through a LIFETIME over one mint of stupidly ?
ONE crime can destroy a person chances of ever having a normal life .

PS NON VIOLENT crimes ONLY . It would still put a LARGE chunk of people BACK into the system 25 % even .

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Well said.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Absolutely BFFT
Lots of pride in rising to the challenge, lots of respect from me that is for sure

No doubt there are a lot of good people incarcerated. Folks who made mistakes and don't pose a threat to anybody, I would guess that would describe a lot of these guys. Really do wish them the best and am happy they are not being overlooked

Found this really interesting story if anybody else wants to watch it

And the ladies aren't left out

Really impressive people
edit on 9/11/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yes its working so Good we need more people jailed for victimless crimes so we have a stead supply of free labor .

This does Little more then Encourage states To Incress there prison population . They now need MORE prison Funding .

OXYMORON is someone deemed safe enough to go out and work in public yet be kept in prison.
MY view Is if they Are considered SAFE enough to Be working without guards then They are safe enough to be Relised .

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

This program has been around for a long time partner.
It's made up of non violent offenders light felons. Mostly
from the general population. Inmates that basically the
state is just mad at which makes a prison sentence very
controversial. I don't see how Newsom is credited.

ICONIC

Don't you worry bout that. Those guys love the opportunity. They get
outside that prison and that means less time given the opportunity
for a train wreck happening to 'em. They get fed way better and their
basically camping out when they break from the line. They consider
themselves lucky and they work hard cause if you don't pull your
weight? They send you back. All by volunteer but they're never short.
edit on 12-9-2020 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

I don't disagree with you.

The fact victimless crimes are illegal falls squarely on the legislature. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me
edit on 9/12/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join