It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ACLU page on Facebook said 'Police violence is an epidemic'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So, I just saw something on Facebook that says: 5,442 people were shot and killed by Police from January 2015 - June 2020. And the page it was on said: 'Police violence is an epidemic'

Assuming that this number (5,442) is just in the U.S. - that's an average of about 20 people per State, per Year.

Feel free to check my math.

That's not even a blip on the list of Top Things That Kill People.

Can someone please explain to me how approx. 2 people per State per Month being shot and killed by Police is an Epidemic?
edit on 11-9-2020 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The ACLU is trying to remain relevant in their passing days.
They are just about done .
Dun-
Done.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
So, I just saw something on Facebook that says: 5,442 people were shot and killed by Police from January 2015 - June 2020. And the page it was on said: 'Police violence is an epidemic'

I feel sorry for people whose employment means looking after the public, and

who have to face violence from vicious thugs on a daily basis with their hands

metaphorically tied.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a nightmare come true....yes

originally posted by: eletheia

I feel sorry for people whose employment means looking after the public, and

who have to face violence from vicious thugs on a daily basis with their hands

metaphorically tied.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Assuming that this number (5,442) is just in the U.S. - that's an average of about 20 people per State, per Year.

Feel free to check my math.

Can someone please explain to me how approx. 2 people per State per Month being shot and killed by Police is an Epidemic?

The ACLU is not living up to it's mission statement at the moment.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I do not know about an epidemic but in my lifetime I have seen the police change drastically and not necessarily for the better. In some instances I believe some policeman/forces are indeed out of control. I think it is more of a psychological issue than racism but I am sure racism is involved as it is in most facets of our world. As a society we need good policemen to enforce the laws or society would crumble. Problem is they deal with the dark side of humanity on a daily basis. Overtime that has to play hard on the ethics and mental state of any human being that is responsible for protecting citizens from lawbreakers and thugs. It takes a special individual to walk a straight line dealing with the public everyday. I do not have an answer but I think a person wanting to be a policeman should have to go through extensive psychological screening to be hired. I know it is already done to some extent but I do not know if our technology has reached a place where it can be done thoroughly enough to really make a difference. One other concern of mine is the militarizing of local police forces. We seem to be constantly on the edge of marshal law for any number of reasons. That is a little scary to me. I must say that I appreciate the good policemen that adhere and enforce the laws of the land and I thank them for their service..

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

ACLU has not only lost the plot -- i dont think they are reading the same book anymore. Tbh, I cannot even take this outfit seriously nor do I know anyone who does.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

In my city they are.

they shot my friends chihuahua in the face in front of kids then laughed.
They planted drugs on me.
They run red lights causing accidents then arrest the person they cause to wreak.

many other things too. We desperately need police reform here.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The reason they were killed matters.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

If that’s a true concern of yours, then why are you crickets when it comes to the much bigger issue of blacks killing blacks? Stats don’t lie and black on black crimes are off the charts proportionally compared to blacks being killed by cops, not to mention that the majority of instances where cops have shot someone, are almost always the results of suspects who are more often than not, criminals making extremely bad decisions.

Until black communities start actually showing that BLM to themselves, I’m out.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: flyonthewall
I do not know about an epidemic but in my lifetime I have seen the police change drastically and not necessarily for the better. In some instances I believe some policeman/forces are indeed out of control. I think it is more of a psychological issue than racism but I am sure racism is involved as it is in most facets of our world. As a society we need good policemen to enforce the laws or society would crumble.

There are NO black police men/women?

Possibly the ratio of black to white police men/women will be about 60% white

and 40% black which is a reflection of the population of USA. So it stands to reason

that the behaviour of more white policeman will come into question ...... simply

because there are more of them?

I am not from USA but around 2017 black police officers were involved in the death

of a white man Tony Timpa in the same manner as the recent case of George Floyd

but where was the outrage for that case? The outrage to an onlooker would appear

to be very selective suiting someones agenda!!

Criminals it seems are becoming more violent ....and one cannot expect police

officers to meet that kind of violence with 'velvet gloves' and 'cajoling niceities'

It is prudent to fight 'fire with fire' After all it is WE the public they are protecting?

edit on 11-9-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

In my city they are.

they shot my friends chihuahua in the face in front of kids then laughed.
They planted drugs on me.
They run red lights causing accidents then arrest the person they cause to wreak.

many other things too. We desperately need police reform here.

I hear tons of bad police stories like this and honestly can't take any of them seriously because I have zero way to prove of disprove them.

If I hate cops I'm gonna nod in agreement and believe every story.

Not saying you're lying or anything just hear a lot of testimonials and always wonder what really happened. I have a few ace hole cop stories as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
20 people per state per year is not an "epidemic". Especially when one considers how violent and well armed our culture has become.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

If that’s a true concern of yours, then why are you crickets when it comes to the much bigger issue of blacks killing blacks?

I've had this conversation many times.

What makes you think I haven't?

But is this op about that?
If you make a thread about black on black crime i promise I'll post in it.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

If I hate cops I'm gonna nod in agreement and believe every story.

I deferentially don't hate cops. We need them.

But I will call out individual officers that I personally have seen breaking the law.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner Johnny! It's just so happens that this response lends credence to the /opposite/ position that the poster seems to want to support though.

What I'm trying to say is, in their meticulous study of the data: did our ACLU advocates happen to break down the circumstances and context, and I mean ALL THE DATA for each instance of a police involved homicide? Or did they just blast out numbers with the hopes of convincing others that police violence is an epidemic,

Case in point, how would the ACLU categorize the shooting (had it been fatal) of Jacob Blake in Kenosha? Just another notch in their belt? No mention of the fact there was an active warrant for the man arrest on sexual assault, and that when shot the man was carrying effectively a curved dagger meant for inflicting bodily harm more than for cutting stuff?

So for each of their naughty police data points, I wanna see:

- criminal history of subject, PARTICULARLY active warrants i.e. motivation to not come quietly
- history of resisting arrest?
- history of weapons charges?
- history of violent crimes, assault, etc?
- what did the subject have on their person at time of incident? weapons, contraband, etc?
- police dash cam/body cam footage?
- official statements of officers, bystanders, etc, but as shown in Ferguson, we have to careful about bystander testimony

Then, only then, after we've scrubbed the data and sanitized it, and removed justified killings like had been the case with Jacob Blake, what does the dataset look like? Without any of that context, ACLU's data is trash IMO.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

yes more data is needed. context matters.

That means that non of us should be making assumptions ether way.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
heyjackass.com...

What say ACLU about this?

*crickets*

Yeh.

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Or did they just blast out numbers with the hopes of convincing others that police violence is an epidemic,

This.

5,442 people were shot and killed by Police from January 2015 - June 2020.

I wrote exactly what they posted in my first paragraph. I should have put quotes around it.

originally posted by: Lysergic
heyjackass.com...

I love that one of their stick figures has a mask on.
edit on 12-9-2020 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join