It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The unfixable UN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   

IN ''BLAZING SADDLES" -- probably the funniest movie ever made -- one of the characters Mel Brooks plays is the sexually preoccupied and utterly corrupt Governor LePetomaine. In one scene, the governor, worried about a failing scam, shouts to his assembled cronies that they've got to find a way to save their phony-baloney jobs. Which brings us to Secretary General Kofi Annan and the UN.

Scandal piles on top of scandal, minor officials resign, investigations drag on, and Annan is under personal attack for failing to prevent the enormous corruption that's occurred on his watch. But Annan has nothing to fear. The widespread calls for UN ''reform" all aim at changing small problems.

Not even its most diehard supporter -- Kofi Annan himself -- denies that the UN has enormous problems. Its bureaucracy, bloated and overpaid, is not a source of solutions to the world's problems or even the means by which solutions can be implemented. Its membership, with fewer than 50 democracies among its 191 members, is not capable of working in good faith toward solving the problems of our time.

www.boston.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This article make several very good points about the UN, but I would never have comparied Koffi to Mel Brooks in "Blazing Saddles", thats an insult to corrupt political crimminals everywhere.......

Koffi is the new poster boy for corruption, he even replaces the Clinton's.

*AGAIN, please do not copy and paste the entire article, except two paragraphs.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Good article, but the writer put's too much faith in what the U.N. can and can't do. The U.N. is about as relevant as the complaint box at the local Taco Bell.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Its membership, with fewer than 50 democracies among its 191 members, is not capable of working in good faith toward solving the problems of our time.

That's the #1 problem with the UN right there. Democracies and dictatorships should never be considered morally equivalent, but that's exactly what happens when all nations are members in good standing... simply because they're members.

Having a dictatorship sit on the council of a diplomatic organization is like having a convicted felon sit on a city council seat, for the sole purpose of representing the convicted felons in a city.

Only democracies should be allowed full membership in the UN. Communist and oligarchy nations should be allowed membership on a probationary status only, and dictatorships should be expelled altogether. Thus, a nation's membership in the UN should depend on what type of government it has; if it goes from being a democray to a dictatorship, it loses its membership; and, going the other way, if a dictatorship ends and a nation becomes a democracy, then full membership will be given (or reinstated).

Of course, this won't get rid of all the corruption at the UN, but this change in its membership policies would have a very drastic effect on it. Once a system of rewards is built into being a UN member, then many nations would have incentive to strive to become more democratic, respect human rights, and be at peace with their neighbors. As it stands now, all the UN does is reward bad behavior, and even encourage it behind closed doors...

Unfortunately, after 50 years, the only things about the UN which are noble are the original idea behind it, and the UN flag (which, if you like flags, you have to admit it a good design). The UN has (had?) the potential to do so much good for the world, but through corruption and moral equivalency, it has done the opposite, actually becoming a hinderance to making the world a better place.

What are the chances that the UN could be completely overhauled after Kofi Annan is gone?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Thank you yet again for your baised right wing opinion of the UN....

Might I point out if we discriminate WHICH countries should be in the UN we would be forceing OUR beliefs on them...therefore takeing away THIER rights....oh wait isnt that what your complaining about?

The international court isnt about takeing every US troop it can and presenting them before a UN court for no reason.
The internationl court is there to stop crimes that the member state has agreed is wrong...not just parts of it...
Oh but wait can I expect examples of forign soldiers doing illegal acts?

Yes, can I expect that it will be blamed on the UN because they couldnt possibly NOT be able to really on a group of soldiers the member nation has chosen to be diplomats ?
(yes thats right diplomats an example to the world of what their country is like)
Can I expect the good Dr here to show one side of the arguement?
Yes I can...can I expect him to show the other side of the arguement?
No I cant!

Also can I say, would the USA citizens like thier government system to be changed?
(If you change the subject by saying , "this will never happen" then I know you obviosly are unwilling to answer the question for fear of proveing my point...)

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You're in Scotland......you have no idea about America and the way it works. Without the U.S.'s influence there would be total chaos in the world.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman
You're in Scotland......you have no idea about America and the way it works. Without the U.S.'s influence there would be total chaos in the world.

Go eat your haggis? Grow up maybe?

The thing is, I bet you actually believe what you just typed above don't you.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The U.N. is a useless organization that does nothing and does not prevent anything from happening. All it does is waste money and cuase traffic.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The UN: the workers of the Globalists. Knock crap down and build it back up again, but with new ownership titles. Hey, lets take over entire countries and use the UN as a guise to keep the peace! Hey, we can even keep our troops in countries throughout the world for years! Cool, we should build the force up 10 fold, with the help of our allies. Maybe in 20 years we could occupy half of the world. By then, perhaps our soldier robots will be operational. Cool, lets suck trillions more out of American tax payers and invest it into our army: lets do that every year! We can bankrupt Americans so they have to pay for the rest of their lives. And, in order to make up for short-falls and immense interest that gets funnelled into the Federal Reserve Bank, we can siphon money out of social services, like welfare and Medicad so the poor get more poor. Oh ya, we will have to raise taxes on the Middle-class to help with our shortages. But we must keep the taxes low on the rich to promote business! As for the mid-class, we will just pay Walmart employees less and knock prices down that way.

Oh, I know, we can murder our slave, textile workers right before their pay checks arrive with vaccines publicly stated to cure them of AIDS! We can then cycle new workers in and continue the spiral: we will never have to pay the workers. Once we occupy the world, we can then expose the Aliens to the human race and knock the population down to 500 million. In this way, it will be a Government revolution, and we can all start from scratch.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What can I say? It is a waste of time, money, resources and space!

OK DevilWasp... We're all waiting for you to tell us about all of the wonderful things that the UN has done. Apparently those of us here in the US have missed something and I would certainly like to be "enlightened".

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The UN needs to go - it's as simple as that.

If every nation gets a vote then EVERY NATION NEEDS TO PAY THE SAME.

I am sick and tired of the US footing 20% of the bill. We should pay as much as France, the UK, Russia, China, and anyone else who has the same say as us. That would be a start to fixing the problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted by kozmo
OK DevilWasp... We're all waiting for you to tell us about all of the wonderful things that the UN has done. Apparently those of us here in the US have missed something and I would certainly like to be "enlightened".

Apprently you have, Kozmo, but then I can't say I am surprised, most Americans can't find Iraq on a map, and 1 in 10 can't find America.

The UN, for all it's faults (and yes, it has plenty), has done an enormous amount to reduce world hunger, poverty, lack of education, negotiated end to wars and is always there to co-ordinate large humanitarian operations like after the Tsunami for example.

May I suggest you get off your a*$e and have a look on the Web about what it is the UN does, as I really am not in the mood to provide you and your lazy, oppinionated behind with all the answers, when you can find them so easily for yourself.

If you honestly believe that it the UN does nothing then, you sir, are a fool.

EDIT: Sod it, I will save you the inevitable brain pain that would come with such a search, and start you off:

The UN-In Brief

[edit on 21/3/05 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
The UN, for all it's faults (and yes, it has plenty), has done an enormous amount to reduce world hunger, poverty, lack of education, negotiated end to wars and is always there to co-ordinate large humanitarian operations like after the Tsunami for example.

If you honestly believe that it the UN does nothing then, you sir, are a fool.

I agree with you here mister stumason!

The UN have done alot of good to help the world peace and reduce hunger and poverty in the Third World. But their efforts are useless against world oppression and the tyranny of Evil Men. Sure they can come and "help to prevent a conflict". But basicly they are a bunch of politicians, and we all know who these people are: they are cheaters and liars, and when they are not kissing babies they are stealing their lollipops. But they always keep their options open. Yes I agree alot of Good has come from the UN.
But also alot of Bad.
How come there are UN soliders accused of raping in the DR Congo?

U.N. Fears Peacekeepers Commit Sex Abuse Worldwide

Not to mention the Oil-Food Scandal:

UN Finds Conflict of Interest in Oil-for-Food Scandal

I have no problem with International Laws and, but if the United Nations would TREAT EVERY ONE ACCORDING TO THIS LAW!

Not just some, but other not.

[edit on 21/3/05 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So what if the U.N. gives food to people. During the ethnic cleansing( why cant they call it genocide like it should be?) when the U.N. gave food to the croatians one man said

Good, now my stomach will be full when the serbs come to shoot me.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

So what if the U.N. gives food to people. During the ethnic cleansing( why cant they call it genocide like it should be?) when the U.N. gave food to the croatians one man said

No one said that the UN was perfect, and they had their hands tied by a flimsy, ill thought out mandate. As usual, other countries interests (Russia for wanting to protect the Serbs, and European/US unwillingness to get involved militarily) got in the way of doing what was right.

But having said that, the Serbs weren't the only ones doing the killing.

There have been/are Croation and Bosnian Muslim people either being tried in the Hague, or being currently hunted on War crimes charges.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I would never have comparied Koffi to Mel Brooks in "Blazing Saddles", thats an insult to corrupt political crimminals everywhere

I assure you there is nothing wrong with the air on Spaceball

external image

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman

So the UN is totaly US is it?
Funny I though the good Dr quoted it had 191 member states.....are you trying to tell me the US has 191 states? If so then I have to admit even I know more geography than you...
Also I have been to america many a time and have seen the similarities of thier forign policy with that of older countries and empires...
Yes with out the US influence the world would be in chaos, I agree but without the UN and all the other nations of the world the US would be in chaos.

Originally posted by Croat56
The U.N. is a useless organization that does nothing and does not prevent anything from happening. All it does is waste money and cuase traffic.

www.africaphotos.com...
Refugees from Rwanda receiving UN aid in Ubundu, in eastern Zaire....real waste of money...

Also
www.mineaction.org...
....you should watch the advert for this really, if it was shown in the US it they would lose a large portion of anti UN people.....

Originally posted by Guy Kawasaki
The UN: the workers of the Globalists. Knock crap down and build it back up again, but with new ownership titles. Hey, lets take over entire countries and use the UN as a guise to keep the peace! Hey, we can even keep our troops in countries throughout the world for years! Cool, we should build the force up 10 fold, with the help of our allies. Maybe in 20 years we could occupy half of the world. By then, perhaps our soldier robots will be operational. Cool, lets suck trillions more out of American tax payers and invest it into our army: lets do that every year! We can bankrupt Americans so they have to pay for the rest of their lives. And, in order to make up for short-falls and immense interest that gets funnelled into the Federal Reserve Bank, we can siphon money out of social services, like welfare and Medicad so the poor get more poor. Oh ya, we will have to raise taxes on the Middle-class to help with our shortages. But we must keep the taxes low on the rich to promote business! As for the mid-class, we will just pay Walmart employees less and knock prices down that way.

Funny I though british taxpayers paid as well and british troops served AS UN soldiers alongside american soldiers

Oh well I guess on 22nd of September 1950 the 1st Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders died on hill 282 under UN command were'nt really saveing them just takeing it over so US troops can be stationed there up until RIGHT NOW.
Funny I though the UN wasnt a real country but an orginisation of independant countries Ah well then I must have been gravely mistaken seeing forign troops in UN uniforms....remind me again where IS the UN capitol again if they are a forign country?

Oh, I know, we can murder our slave, textile workers right before their pay checks arrive with vaccines publicly stated to cure them of AIDS! We can then cycle new workers in and continue the spiral: we will never have to pay the workers. Once we occupy the world, we can then expose the Aliens to the human race and knock the population down to 500 million. In this way, it will be a Government revolution, and we can all start from scratch.

So your admitting you have slaves?
.....Right I do believe this is a urine extraction....please grow up...

Originally posted by kozmo
What can I say? It is a waste of time, money, resources and space!

Well it would be kinda hard to miss the things but it seems you have...
korea, GW1 (Unless you would prefered kuwait to be under iraqi control ?)
See above posts for other things....do a search as stumason said

Ps stu I would give you a way above thing but I ran out of them

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I murder people but I give to charity. Therefore, I must be a good person! Yes, we know "nothing's perfect", blah, blah. Good idea to wake up and accept these truisms and not constantly remind people of the obvious. It's the mandate, not the hacks carrying out orders that is in question. Pointing out a few positive examples does not erase negative, tenable theories as to why the UN was formulated. One of course, being for Global control by the elites.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Kawasaki
I murder people but I give to charity. Therefore, I must be a good person!

Actually no, your a bad person also the UN does not murder people. period.

Yes, we know "nothing's perfect", blah, blah. Good idea to wake up and accept these truisms and not constantly remind people of the obvious. It's the mandate, not the hacks carrying out orders that is in question. Pointing out a few positive examples does not erase negative, tenable theories as to why the UN was formulated. One of course, being for Global control by the elites.

The UN was created to stop WW3, unless you believe over several million dead DIDNT affect a countries military strenth which would have affected "the elites".
The UN is in no means trying to control the world...anyone who believes so is paraniod...

Edited to solve date probs...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
The UN was created to stop WW2, unless you believe over several million dead DIDNT affect a countries military strenth which would have affected "the elites".
The UN is in no means trying to control the world...anyone who believes so is paraniod...

Sorry but the UN wasn't created until AFTER ww2. Around 1947 I think.....

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Sorry but the UN wasn't created until AFTER ww2. Around 1947 I think.....

Yes...I know this.. mistype.....I think it was 1947 or we might be thinking of NATO.....but I have a sneaky suspcsion it THAT was 1949...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join