It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada lets Muslim off on a "real" hate crime

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
"Police have decided not to charge a controversial Muslim leader under Canada's hate-crime laws for suggesting on a television talk show last fall that all adult Israelis are "legitimate targets" for Palestinian terrorists.

Investigators with Halton Region police said that while the comments by Dr. Mohamed Elmasry "were described by many as [a] hate crime," they did not meet the legal definition.

"Although the comments would be considered distasteful to many, in this context they do not constitute a criminal offence," police said in a news release. "The comments were made during a free-flowing discussion between subject-matter experts who were encouraged to express their opinions openly on a topic of significant public interest."

Dr. Elmasry, a University of Waterloo professor and president of the Canadian Islamic Congress, drew widespread public condemnation last October for telling a television panel discussion that all Israelis over the age of 18 could be targets for attacks by Palestinians because they are all members of the country's army.

Halton police, who sought legal advice on the case from Ontario's Attorney- General, were handed the file because Dr. Elmasry made the comments on the Michael Coren Show, which is broadcast from studios located in Burlington, west of Toronto.

Canadian Jewish groups objected angrily to his remarks and fellow Muslims distanced themselves from Dr. Elmasry.

He issued an apology soon after the public outcry began over the Oct. 19 show and said later he was trying to express the view of many Palestinians, not his own opinion.

Dr. Elmasry also offered to resign as president of the Canadian Islamic Congress, but the group's board of directors refused to accept it."

www.canada.com...

Here is pretty good proof that canada is no longer a "friend" to the US or Israel. Time to build a wall....................

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Wrong thread sry...

[edit on 16-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
yes, they are your enemies Dr, just bomb the hell out of them and get it over with. You know its the right thing to do. Get some democracy and freedom of speech in Canada, YANKEE STYLE!
Must be those french talking people in Canada, you should blow them up first just for talking french on american continent. They got some nerve dont you think? Damn terrorists.....

you call a couple of stupid comments proof?

not good enough...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nukunuku
yes, they are your enemies Dr, just bomb the hell out of them and get it over with. You know its the right thing to do. Get some democracy and freedom of speech in Canada, YANKEE STYLE!
Must be those french talking people in Canada, you should blow them up first just for talking french on american continent. They got some nerve dont you think? Damn terrorists.....

you call a couple of stupid comments proof?

not good enough...

In the last few years Canada has gone the way of ancient rome..........

Completely decandant and isolated. Wanting to become more "euro". More liberal insanity at its worst................

Kill them no not yet................not YET...................just stand back and wait.....Canada will implode due to the PC insanity.....................

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
From the article

Police have decided not to charge a controversial Muslim leader under Canada's hate-crime laws for suggesting on a television talk show last fall that all adult Israelis are "legitimate targets" for Palestinian terrorists.

Good, political correctness is dying up here. Letting them talk about it will just make them more irrelivant in the eyes of Canadians.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
From the article

Police have decided not to charge a controversial Muslim leader under Canada's hate-crime laws for suggesting on a television talk show last fall that all adult Israelis are "legitimate targets" for Palestinian terrorists.

Good, political correctness is dying up here. Letting them talk about it will just make them more irrelivant in the eyes of Canadians.

Perhaps, but what about the "wahabi" brainwashed types? I would still classify this as anti-semitisim being allowed on national TV.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
What about anti-islamic crap that Fuex News spews on a daily basis? What about Anne "Nuke the Middle East" Coulter hmm? I am in no way anti-semetic, but Free Speech is Free Speech no matter how much I find it loathsome I loath PC Thought police even more.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Quick! Call in ALL reservists and recently retired servicemen! We's gonna 'nvade us some cannader!

edit: I'm saving up points for a *#Dr Horacid Action Figure™ from the ATS store, so rather than leave this as a "one line post":

Anne Coulter needs to remember the sacrifice made when the Canadian Government committed the Canadian military to the Vietnam War. So I would be very disappointed to hear her comment on this. If she does, America's neocons might just SNAP and proceed to "roll over and crush them(Canada)". Of course Anne would need to roll over Sean Hannity lying next to her in their filthy love pit first. That is if she doesn't lacerate him with her(?) razor sharp endoskeleton.

This message was sponsored by the *#Dr Horacid Action Figure™. Available now from the ATS store.

*Doctorate Degree sold seperately
#Powered by Benny Hinn

[edit on 16-3-2005 by cargo]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Quick! Call in ALL reservists and recently retired servicemen! We's gonna 'nvade us some cannader!

Let's hope this time you don't get beat by a couple of french monks and a handfull of natives
And better hope we don't counterattack with our hordes of Cybernetic Polar Bears
This time we are turing the White House into an Ice Cube instead of burning it down

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

What about anti-islamic crap that Fuex News spews on a daily basis? What about Anne "Nuke the Middle East" Coulter hmm?

Very true.
According to Horacid, people like Ann Coulter, John Gibson, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage and others should be arrested for hate crimes.
Heck, maybe even the good Dr himself could be brought up on hate crime charges for all of his anti-Muslim comments.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
YES!
BUILD A WALL!
Build it high and build it strong!
Just like in Israel. That is what the solution is for you? A wall? Remember Berlin and The Wall there? Now that sure helped in USA - USSR relations didnt it?

You remind me of that movie Canadian Bacon: REALLY FUNNY!

BTW: doctor I think you need therapy...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
YES!
BUILD A WALL!
Build it high and build it strong!
Just like in Israel. That is what the solution is for you? A wall? Remember Berlin and The Wall there? Now that sure helped in USA - USSR relations didnt it?

You remind me of that movie Canadian Bacon: REALLY FUNNY!

BTW: doctor I think you need therapy...

I am a therapist................be afraid, be very afraid.................

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

What about anti-islamic crap that Fuex News spews on a daily basis? What about Anne "Nuke the Middle East" Coulter hmm?

Very true.
According to Horacid, people like Ann Coulter, John Gibson, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage and others should be arrested for hate crimes.
Heck, maybe even the good Dr himself could be brought up on hate crime charges for all of his anti-Muslim comments.

Here you go again.............no I don't believe in "hate" speech. That's PC bull...........I do believe in watching such people because its all about "fundraising"...................

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
unfortunately as a canadian i have to flame you on the fact that you feel so strongly about the coments of ONE person that you feel the need to damm a whole country
are you not infact doing the same thing????
now as to adress the comment. i have not even heard about this comment myself but from your statement. now first just to inform you i have no love for the musslim terrorists myself espesialy since my parrents just managed to avoid a kiddnapping attemt either from islamic or communist terroist forces.
now in your statement it was stated that any person in isrial over the age of 18 was a valid target as they are all in the military. this statement as stated is meaning that some mabe himself mabe not feel that by being in the armed forces makes them a valid "military" target it is a well know fact that all adaults be trained and be at least a reserve force of thier military. (tho i thought the age was 16 myself but not important here). this is factual as all citizens are required to be at least a reserve force (can't say i blame them for that with the treatment they have recieved in the past from thier neibors).unfortunately he can be considered partialy right. i personaly think they should be at least an active force to be considered opposing forces. now that is not a statement of hate it is viewed by some as fact. even off duty personell can expect to be fired upon in an active theater of operations. when on active duty you realy are not "off" anytime. it is not nice but that is a fact of war. now had the statement been more along the lines of "all israie adults are valid targets because they are jewish" that would be a statement of hate.
you must also keep in mind that these terrorists see themselves to be at war with isrial and thier supporters unfortunately. to them there is apsolutely NO differance between themselves and say the american forces fighting to liberate france in ww2. even more so they can equate themselves with the members of the various resistance groups dureing ww2. the main differance between these terrorists and the resestance movements and armed forces is the fact that the terrorists mainly attack civilians not members of the millitary.(do not forget however that even the resistance forces killed many civilians as well, be it those they saw as traiters or those who were in the wrong place at the wrong time).
you must also keep in mind that many of these terrorists feel they are doing thier bit to "liberate" thier or thier allies homeland from what they see as land stolen from them much in the same way as germans invaded and took over france. this is where they see the justification of thier acts. much in the same way that the ira was fighting to take back thier invaded land.in the case of terrorists they feel that since they can't win by true millitary action that they can cause enough hurt, to cause the opressers to abandon what they have "stollen". this is why they feel justified to kill so many innocents. much like a "weakling" kicking someone in the gonads because they can't win a fight by being "fair".
I say this not because i support terrorisim byt to point out how they may well think. now by saying that because EVERY adult is a member of the militay they are giveing themselves yet more creadibility (at least to themselves) that they are not doing "wrong" but in fact waging a propper war. as much as anyone may not like that statement it is NOT a statement of hate and therefore can not be prosicuted as such, to prosicute that person would actualy be persicution, which should not be alowed to happen as it would actualy give the terrorists actual credability that they are not wrong.
we must always be carefull in action againt free speach. we may feel that what is said is wrong but we have no right to be persicuters ourselves. the best way to handle a statement like that is to activly point out how we feel that said statement is not correct. would you realy like to give them yet another marter to thier cause? in fact by your statements you could be acused of being hatefull yourself for condemming a nation because you feel that anyone without the same point of view as yourself is commiting a "hate"crime. and the failure to toss them in jail constitutes grounds to sever ties with a nation.
we might not agree on everything but by not ageeing does not automaticaly make you enimys. yes canada did not support an attack on iraq but that did not automaticaly mean that we supported them either. it meant that our government felt that we did not have just cause to invade a sovern nation. to be honest there is even a lot of people who think that there is strong enough evidence to say that 9-11 may have been caused as an excuse to make war.take a look at the burning of the reichstag that was set up to look like it was a polish(if i am remambering correctly) force that commited the act of agression where as we are all told it was the germans themselves as an excuse for the takeover of total power through the clause of martial law. thereby removeing any desenting to totalian controll. hmmmm how many rights and freedoms are being lost due to the "terrorist" threat?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

In the last few years Canada has gone the way of ancient rome..........

Yes minding their our business and not meddling in the affairs of others. And you wonder why there's so much global 'love' for the U.S.

Completely decandant and isolated. Wanting to become more "euro". More liberal insanity at its worst................

Decadant? Last time I checked Canada was a welcome, free, generally well accepted society. It's citizens are rational, considerate and motivated. If that implies being a "euro" well good on them. Hey Canada has it's fair share of problems as well, they just know how to keep them in house.

Kill them no not yet................not YET...................just stand back and wait.....Canada will implode due to the PC insanity.....................

I'm finding it difficult to understand how the moderators of this board can sit back and watch you spew such hate. You actually want to see Canadian people killed over a period of time? For a doctor you must have been educated with a banana & innertube.

brill

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Here you go again.............no I don't believe in "hate" speech. That's PC bull...........I do believe in watching such people because its all about "fundraising"...................

You were angry about the article which said that Canada didn't charge a person under their hate crime laws for saying "that all Israelis over the age of 18 could be targets for attacks by Palestinians because they are all members of the country's army."

If you think Canada should have charged him for that statement then surely the US should charge Micheal Savage for what he said:

mediamatters.org...

Right now, even people sitting on the fence would like George Bush to drop a nuclear weapon on an Arab country. They don't even care which one it would be. I can guarantee you -- I don't need to go to Mr. Schmuck [pollster John] Zogby and ask him his opinion. I don't need anyone's opinion. I'll give you my opinion, because I got a better stethoscope than those fools. It's one man's opinion based upon my own analysis. The most -- I tell you right now -- the largest percentage of Americans would like to see a nuclear weapon dropped on a major Arab capital. They don't even care which one. They'd like an indiscriminate use of a nuclear weapon. They want this over with. One thing people cannot live with, which is an undefined, limitless conflict, which is what we have now. They can't take it. They want this war over with, and they want it ended like the war against Japan. They'd like Big Boy dropped on one of the little cities over there. They don't care where. They don't care any more. The American people have had it up to here with this garbage.

In fact, Christianity has been one of the great salvations on planet Earth. It's what's necessary in the Middle East. Others have written about it, I think these people need to be forcibly converted to Christianity but I'll get here a little later, I'll move up to that. It's the only thing that can probably turn them into human beings.

I'm going to give you one further example from my background as an anthropologist just so that you -- I'm trying to put context on this because you can go crazy if you don't have the context on this, because I'm going to lead up to something of what we must do to these primitives. Because these primitives can only be treated in one way, and I don't think smallpox and a blanket is good enough incidentally. Just before -- I'm going to give you a little precursor to where I'm going. Smallpox in a blanket, which the U.S. Army gave to the Cherokee Indians on their long march to the West, was nothing compared to what I'd like to see done to these people, just so you understand that I'm not going to be too intellectual about my analysis here in terms of what I would recommend, what Doc Savage recommends as an antidote to this kind of poison coming out of the Middle East from these non-humans.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Actually "Savage" is my hero

[edit on 16-3-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
you know for once the cop's did something smart and did not go off half cocked as per norm.
will wonders never ceace

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Actually "Savage" is my hero

So you really don't even care about the hypocricy of your views that people who speak out against Jewish persons or Israel should be charged with hate crimes but people should be allowed to say whatever they want about Muslims with no repurcussions?

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
you know for once the cop's did something smart and did not go off half cocked as per norm.
will wonders never ceace

How is it when someone says anything against "gays" or Muslims its "hate speech" but when its against the Israelis a "muslim" gets off the hook. I am angry at the "double" standard...........................

Hate speech being complete BS notwithstanding its the "hypocracy"....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join