It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media and work

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Should any business be allowed to use anyone's social media account(s) to make any decision about any employee whether potential new hire or already employed?

This is anecdotal, but I have a few "conservative" pals in the tech industry that are having real trouble finding new jobs while I have a few "liberal" ones that have had no trouble at all. All have decades of knowledge and are equally talented. Two plus two in my mind...

Anyway, why would anyone want any employer to think anything about them based on social media anyway? Here s my tip: don't use them unless you must and then if so, go back over the years and delete anything political. Delete any pics of you doing or any text of you saying anything about "partying" or other similar things.

I always hated Twitter/Facebook/anysocial media --- and this is why: THey are making an image ideal of you. They want grade you and punish you for who you are and reward you if you conform to who they want you to be.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not if I was running the place Ya know.

I know it's a problem they need to keep their mit's out of everybody else's business.

That's the word we're looking for business so at work they're doing business.

Keep their mitts out of everything else their employees .....do show them some respect huh... if it was a construction site that wouldn't pertain, so someone's overstepping

What other kind of workplace would beimmune to that let's see the doctors and nurses at a hospital don't mess with them.

Someone working at the White House or in Congress oopsy]
edit on 8-9-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I run an employment agency and we always check social media accounts.
You would be surprised how dumb people can be when posting on social media.

When two women that are pretty much equally qualified but one spends three nights a week at a bar and the other post family pictures, which do you think I recommend?

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When two women that are pretty much equally qualified but one spends three nights a week at a bar and the other post family pictures, which do you think I recommend?

THe one in the bar because everyone knows breeders suck.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
Should any business be allowed to use anyone's social media account(s) to make any decision about any employee whether potential new hire or already employed?

This is anecdotal, but I have a few "conservative" pals in the tech industry that are having real trouble finding new jobs while I have a few "liberal" ones that have had no trouble at all. All have decades of knowledge and are equally talented. Two plus two in my mind...

Anyway, why would anyone want any employer to think anything about them based on social media anyway? Here s my tip: don't use them unless you must and then if so, go back over the years and delete anything political. Delete any pics of you doing or any text of you saying anything about "partying" or other similar things.

I always hated Twitter/Facebook/anysocial media --- and this is why: THey are making an image ideal of you. They want grade you and punish you for who you are and reward you if you conform to who they want you to be.

Stupid Is What Stupid Does.........

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Why should any information publicly available be overlooked?

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
Why should any information publicly available be overlooked?

Ah , I dunno . Maybe because the Country Right Now is in the Mist of a Stupid Pandemic , and Reason has Moved to Sweden for the Duration ?

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
If someone is dumb enough to post their lives publicly on a site that glorifies bad behaviors, then they should not be surprised when anyone, company or otherwise, judges them for it.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yes they can, and do...and can be looking at them ...during your interview...or when called in.

You guys like sharing "public domain" stuff..same deal.

Post it anywhere...expect it everywhere. Oh...and they are checking credit reports as well.

Same. It's out there, public and available.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Breeders are better than drunks.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Breeders are better than drunks.

You're a recruiter that doesn't drink? You my friend, are one disturbing individual....

On topic....wouldn't you just make your account private? Like any sane, privacy liking person would?

I only use LinkedIN because it's a requirement of my job and the plat form and people make me want to punch holes in my own skull.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

You would be surprised how many stupid people are out there.
I remember one guy that got fired when he was caught selling company tools on Facebook garage sale.
Another lady called in sick and posted pictures of herself at the lake.

I don’t understand it myself...

And I do drink...
I don’t however post every drink on social media..

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Nope. I wouldn't, I am acutely aware of how many idiots are out there. I ran a small team of youngsters making outbound sales calls last year and when I suspected two of them went rogue and were lying about their call stats pulled the information from the system. We are an IT company by the way yet these geniuses thought they could get away with it. And that is a very mild example.

Good form not posting everything you do on social media. I laugh my ass off when the same people are worried about government surveillance yet a complete stranger could figure out their address and routines based off publicly avialable information they willingly submit.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

" You would be surprised how many stupid people are out there. "

I am ASSuming I am Not Included in that Bunch on here eh Mr. Space Ghost > ? My Intellect is like this Thread .........

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Birdman....not space ghost...lol

Mr outer limits...

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

No , your a Bird Ghost for Sure...............)

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Question, how many interviewers do you think are taking someones political views on facebook into account with their hiring choices?

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Question, how many interviewers do you think are taking someones political views on facebook into account with their hiring choices?

I’ve never encountered an openly politically biased human resource manager but it’s illegal to discriminate based on political affiliations.
I’m sure they are out there but it would need to be kept on the down low.
Think about it a minute.
Someone openly cheering on rioters in the city they are trying to find a job in might just rub an employer the wrong way.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

" I’m sure they are out there but it would need to be kept on the down low. "

Really ? I know of about 200 in my Neck of the Woods and they are Not Very Shy about Resourcing Human Excrement on a Daily Basis ..

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Yes.

If you are so stupid to put your private life in an online identity out for everyone to see don't start bitching if it is used against you.

For that same matter, if you have people judge you on your online life, there is no requirement your online life has to state the truth and you are allowed to manipulate these watchers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join