It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden uniting the country = giving a toddler candy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

He'll unify the country the same way he fought valiantly for desegregation. Oh, wait... He fought against desegregation. That's right. 🤔

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Joe Biden says he's going use global warming to create middle-class jobs.

Ah yes, the typical left leaning approach to energy, the same approach we have applied in Australia to achieve some of the highest electricity prices in the world. Sounds nice on paper but ends up destroying many middle class jobs in the mining sector and leads to far higher energy prices.

I do like the OP's analogy though, these rioters are acting like toddlers throwing a tantrum and they wont stop until they get what they want, which is Trump out of office. I do think if Biden wins things will suddenly get much more peaceful because they will be appeased, for once they will have won an important battle.

If Trump wins they will probably double down on their whining and stomping for a short period of time, but I believe Trump will most likely crack down very hard once re-elected and they will also lose steam after a while because they wont have any real goal after failing to get what they want.

(post by network dude removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Moranimus

You missed the scary part. When the VP becomes president, the speaker of the house becomes VP. That is the truly scary reason to not vote Biden.

No, that's not how it works. When the VP becomes President, they appoint a VP under them, subject to Senate approval. If something happens to the President and there is no VP at the time, then and only then the Speaker of the House becomes President.

That has already happened. When Richard Nixon resigned over Watergate, his VP, Gerald Ford, became President. Ford then nominated Nelson Rockefeller to the position of VP and the Senate finally confirmed the appointment. Rockefeller was never Speaker of the House.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
Ahhh, thank you for the correction.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Trump never was a huge conservative in terms of soc-con positions, but he's not authoritarian in terms of implementing policies that force soc-cons to live in ways counter to their wishes either. For that alone, they/we will vote for him over the progressive candidates.

I suppose you could call him more socially libertarian in that sense which is fine by me.

As a businessman, he does know which regulations are killing the economy, and he's been good at getting those systematically removed and/or streamlined.

Spending is a Congressional thing as much as a Presidential thing. Right now, I don't think there is any politician anywhere that has the will to stop that, not to the levels it needs to be cut.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

It might stop for a bit, but they want what they want. And the lesson they've learned so far is that all they have to do is go out and riot to get it.

As soon as their demands aren't met by a new administration of their allies, they'll be right back out in the streets because that's what children who throw tantrums like that do. They know their parents will eventually cave in to get them to stop.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'd say he's moderate on social issues... The reason I'd say that is he often offer conservative rhetoric on some of those issues, but I haven't seen any action that really concerns me.

And per the spending, I'd agree I haven't seen him buy into long term progressive spending issues.... But, on the flip side spending was up pre COVID to record levels, and we all know what happened after (I expect more too).

While I agree the purse has more to do with congress, he campaigned to lower debt. While it wasn't one of his big talking points, he did touch on it. That and he has signed off on a lot of what congress has sent his way. To be fair, there's been plenty that didn't make it past his desk, but if someone asked me if Trump was fiscally conservative or libertarian to my liking, I'd say no.

Then again, I more closely identify as a libertarian than anything.... So the chance of me approving of a politician's fiscal stance is slim to none.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Eh, I say liberatarian in the sense that he articulates personal conservative preferences, but seems to be trying to make it possible for most people to live as they desire. That's why he's allowed gay marriage to continue, but he has also tried to protect those who object to things on religious conscious.

I don't object to the idea of gays having their unions. I do object to them compelling others to do as they desire about it. There should be space for all of us to live around each other here. And I think that's what he's aiming for.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

I am from over the pond. All I really know about this dude is theres a lot of pictures with him in very close proximity with kids and they are not looking to comfortable.

Is this something that is common knowledge in US culture too?

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Moranimus

No. The new President chooses his VP.

The Speaker only becomes President. ...and that's only if the VP is unable to, for whatever reason, move into the position.

Congressional approval is, of course, required. The Speaker may, indeed, become VP, but it isn't a given.

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

To be honest, we should have never allowed the government to define marriage in the first place.

I agree Trump hasn't really infringed on day to day life. I'd go further and say he seems to have better than the last two presidents. But he has said some off the cuff remarks that have riled people up. Some groups have a different reality of the past few years, conflating words with action. Those are the same people who believed in a utopia under the previous admin because he was well spoken in the sense of feelz.

Unfortunately these priorities are pretty low on my list as we have much larger fish to fry till we get to the housekeeping of the nation.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join