It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says Department of Education will investigate use of 1619 Project in schools

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: ketsuko

Hey, I am all for fiction. I love those kinds of books or movies. Man in the HIgh Castle was a good one recently and i have read other alt timelines.

For kids to learn as the history of their nation. Nope. Teach the truth.

That's my point. Hannah-Jones should have written her piece as an alternate history novel. Even she has admitted it's about narrative, not scholarly history. Narratives belong in fiction.

Had she done that and done a good enough job, her book might have actually hit the classroom in that way - as a literature piece. And her grand thought exercise could have been examined there in English class. After all, they're looking for diverse voices in literature to study these days, so she would have had a leg up.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Not to mention how Disney was falling all over themselves thanking China.

Identity politics indeed. While Disney waxes on about the importance of not seeing labels they were literally taping their big tent movie in the same land that is imprisoning Muslims.

posted on Sep, 8 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: atlantiswatusi

They also gave a screen credit to the agency that oversees the concentration camps full of Uighers at the end of Mulan.

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

If you haven't heard...Hollywood delivered its suicide not today under the guise of making diversity a requirement for some of the Oscar awards. Not that I was watching the shows anyways....

posted on Sep, 9 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: atlantiswatusi

Oh, I've been thinking they have a problem for a while.

It occurred to me after listening to someone review Mulan and remark how disappointed he was in what they did to the character that overall, there is a character problem in storytelling lately.

Look around at wokeness and Critical Race Theory. Look at the characteristics of whiteness and white maleness, and you find things like working hard, can-do attitude, striving to succeed, etc., as being characteristics of white males and oppressive to women and people of color. Now let's look at recent characters who were supposed to be strong women especially.

Most of them have been Mary Sues. They've been boring. They've been uniquely powerful and had power from the beginning without needing to work for it or having to achieve it. None of them have been uniquely challenged in a traditional "heroes journey" type way.

How can they? In order to show those kinds of struggles, writers would have to endow their characters with some of those traits currently ascribed to white males and deemed uniquely oppressive to women and people of color.

So we go from animated Mulan who goes through her training montage in "Make a Man Out of You" where she is shown really struggling and nearly failing, being kicked out of camp ... to finding her mojo and learning to succeed, even starting to excel, to modern day live action Mulan who is told from the start that she has powerful chi and must hide it to be a good little Chinese woman and all she has to do is unleash it to become the powerful heroine.

Compare that to Rey in Star Wars who just constantly, magically does things with Force as she needs to without really needing to struggle to learn them. They're just magically there for her.

Try Captain Marvel who always had her powers; she just had a brain chip installed ... and then slices entire space ships in half.

None of these characters have to do any work to earn their powers. They just have them, at full force, at need. Because striving and hard work and can-do attitudes would be oppressive messages.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Shhh you are oppressing women...

I agree the story telling as of late is terrible, personally I prefer a hero or anti-hero that goes through the wringer and manages to come out the other side and eek out a victory.

Aparently thats to much work as of late, If anyone likes an authors comments on a bunch of things movie related check out Critical Drinker on Youtube. Makes his living writing books and drinking with ocasional binges of critiquing movies, espcially star wars and mcu.

EDIT to add: IF you decide to check him out beware sometimes when he is especially adgitated he uses harsh language.
edit on 11-9-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I've seen some of his stuff. I recall his critique of Captain Marvel where he kept cutting in clips of Ripley and Sarah Conner while he bemoaned the lack of strong female characters prior to Captain Marvel.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

He did Mulan a couple days a go, and he is extremly annoyed with it..

Titled mulan the movie nobody wanted.

posted on Sep, 11 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I watch Chris Stuckman's reviews because he has an appreciation for the craft of movie making and story too, and he liked the original film, and his eyes when he reviewed this one were sort of dead. The general impression I'm getting from reviewers is "Let's take a really pretty good movie, cut out everything that made it good, claim it was to make it more realistic, and then add a bunch of unrealistic elements back in ..." And no one likes it. Plus they stripped the main character of everything that made her interesting and had a wooden actress play her.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join