It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time moving faster? - Try this simple test

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Just watched this video saying that time really is going faster.

I have been noticing this too. I accepted that it is probably because I have gotten older.

All the stuff about production of video games in the clip didn't really convince me any.

The part about so many Hollyweird movies being remakes make me think a little.

But the last part, where he counts with his stopwatch has me thinking it might be true.

The video is almost 10 minutes long. You don't have to watch the video to try this, though.

Most of us remember counting one Mississippi, two Mississippi or one 1000, two 1000, etc.

I remember doing it with a watch and I would have to slow myself down a bit to get it right.

Pull out you smartphone, go to the stopwatch and try it yourself.

Is time moving faster.?

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
My wife and I have both mentioned to each other many about how fast the days and weeks have been flying by.

I thought that it was normal for us getting old, but didn't use to think that around 50 was old yet.

I never felt the one Mississippi, 2 Mississippi was all that universally accurate to begin with. we all have a slightly different speed.
edit on 5 9 2020 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You are still gonna die. Just faster now.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I think it is like that:

When you are younger, each minute of additional lifetime is a lot, in relation to the total experienced minutes. Time is more dragged out. The older you are, the less. Also as an adult we are a lot more tied up, such as a job and more sleep needed. That takes away time from the day you would earlier had for yourself. So days make a shorter impression.

That does not explain why time at the weekend always run's away so fast.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

I never felt the one Mississippi, 2 Mississippi was all that universally accurate to begin with. we all have a slightly different speed.

It is old memories, so they are subject to the ME.

But for me to make it come out right, now. I have to count very fast and I don't remember it being like that before.

edit on 5-9-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Is time moving faster.?

No.
I have been using my internal "stopwatch" for many years, while watching Formula 1 or Moto GP races, so I can get an idea of the time distances between racers, and time is as it was when I started doing it, some 40 years ago.

PS: I do not use systems like that "1 Mississipi, 2 Mississipi" or similar, I just picture in my mind a clock with its seconds hand jumping from second to second.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think it have to do with the internet and the easy access to information and mobile phones.
We have all become observes instead of living.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP
Same here, I beat DUI tests where I need to count to 30 seconds, down to the second. I imagine my old G-shock wristwatch. The milliseconds it would count up and give visual feedback helped me time a second down very precise in my memory.

It's like stamping a beat with the foot, just internally.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It’s been a while so I don’t have any sort of “proofs” to back it up, but I remember hearing that time is actually speeding up. This is because of the super massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. Similar to a draining tub, the closer you get to the epicenter the faster things speed up. All the while we are traveling closer and closer to the galactic center Things are going faster and faster.

I also recall hearing a few years back that after the Massive “Japan earthquake” the Earths axis was ever so slightly affected causing either an increase or decrease in an Earth year by some minute tiny fraction.

-Cogi

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
As Einstein said, the passage of time is relevant to the observer. However, time has not changed for Earthlings , at least since there has been the existence of cesium clocks and GPS.

Any change in time would be instantly recognized and back checked with orbital measurements that we do in the solar system. If there was even a fraction of a fraction of a microsecond off in a year.... outside of what we know that can perturb time... science would know it and so would we.
edit on 5-9-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I found this little tidbit at www.physlink.com... to be Interesting!

“According to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, time passes more slowly (as seen by an outside observer) in a gravitational field. The stronger the gravitational field, the greater the time dilation effect. This has been verified on Earth by accurately measuring the passage of time at the top and bottom of a tall building. Because gravity weakens as distance from the Earth's center increases, the readings of extremely accurate atomic clocks that are synchronized at sea level diverge if one is raised to the top of the structure. Time dilation near a black hole, with its extreme gravitational field, is intensified until time at the event horizon appears to be stopped completely. That is why black holes have also been referred to as 'frozen stars'. Matter falling toward the even horizon would appear to become redder and dimmer, but would not appear to ever completely fall into the hole. Even as the Universe ages infinitely for us, however, an observer surviving the fall into a black hole would experience a 'normal' passage of time.”
Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A., Part-time Physics/Astronomy Instructor

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Is time moving faster.?

No.
I have been using my internal "stopwatch" for many years, while watching Formula 1 or Moto GP races, so I can get an idea of the time distances between racers, and time is as it was when I started doing it, some 40 years ago.

PS: I do not use systems like that "1 Mississipi, 2 Mississipi" or similar, I just picture in my mind a clock with its seconds hand jumping from second to second.

All right, an expert.

So, what is you observation of time recently?

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

The video is almost 10 minutes long. ...

Not anymore! Now it's only 6 minutes and 40 seconds long!

Most of us remember counting one Mississippi, two Mississippi or one 1000, two 1000, etc.

I remember doing it with a watch and I would have to slow myself down a bit to get it right.

Depended on what side of the football you were on. If the game was '3 Mississippi Rush', yeah I could go through those in about 1/2 of one second! But the guys on offense were always crying foul. To them '3 Mississippi Rush' equaled about a half an hour!

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There is no doubt that time is relative.

edit on 5-9-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Cogidubnus

I also recall hearing a few years back that after the Massive “Japan earthquake” the Earths axis was ever so slightly affected causing either an increase or decrease in an Earth year by some minute tiny fraction. 

-Cogi

However the Three Gorges Dam in China holds back so much water that it slowed the Earth's rotation making the days .06 seconds longer. You'd think they'd have to clear that with everyone first. Now I've got all this extra time on my hands that I don't know what to do with.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
I think it have to do with the internet and the easy access to information and mobile phones.
We have all become observes instead of living.

Excellent observation.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have not watched the video yet, i will though. There is one, for lack of a better term - phenomenon, that i will bring to attention:

If you are ever or recall, in your youth, driving a long ways, say with your dad, you take a 2 hour trip. Going to the location takes longer...BUT, it only seems so. The return trip seems and feels shorter. I guess the anticipation, sometimes excitement makes the ride seem long and drawn out whereas on the return those factors are usually not present. AS an example, a 2 hour trip takes forever to get there and then seems like it too...say, 1 and a half hours on return.

ETA: This can factor in with age and in general because 'newness' is lacking. Like summer vacation, as a child, so much to explore...whereas an old person already has done everything and time just flies by. Hard to explain, this concept, but does this sound like somewhat of an explanation. Rather than something supernatural
edit on 5-9-2020 by ReadOnly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I've had that feeling that time has sped up for awhile now and I'm not the only one that noticed. I was down getting the oil changed on my truck, when I mentioned that to a guy in the waiting room and he along with three other people said that they've felt it too.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I will explain further. Imagine yourself as a toddler, you crawl across the floor, you pick up a piece of dust...you taste it, you spit it out. You come across a block (toy) you pick it up, you taste it or lick it, you look at the block in relative wonderment and say 'gosh, never seen that before'. All new things in your journey across the floor, new discoveries etc. etc. etc. Where is this when you get older and older?...slowly fading away, and then it is just 'almost did everything', quite mundane actually.
edit on 5-9-2020 by ReadOnly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321
I've had that feeling that time has sped up for awhile now and I'm not the only one that noticed. I was down getting the oil changed on my truck, when I mentioned that to a guy in the waiting room and he along with three other people said that they've felt it too.

The weeks are just flying by for me.

It will be Monday morning and the next thing you know it Friday. Blink and it's Monday morning again.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join