It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Idaho Lake Beds Yield New living Fairy Shrimp Species.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
A three inch long predatory fairy shrimp species has been discovered living in the dryed up lake beds of the Idaho desert region. Delicate by name and appearance the hardy shrimp are believed to survive for years in the lake beds before hatching after rains to live only a few weeks, leaving behind tiny cyst like offspring.

dailynews.yahoo.com
Dana Quinney and a colleague, Jay Weaver, first noticed the carnivorous shrimp in 1996. It took them nearly 9 years to compare the animal to the existing species and realize they had something entirely different.

"If you're just a little biologist like me, you're kind of a generalist," she said. "Many species of fairy shrimp look very much alike and it not only takes an expert but it takes an expert and a good microscope to tell them apart. This one is really, really, really different from all the other species in the world."

The new species has several spines on its front legs, and each spine is covered with several more, even smaller spines. The belly of the shrimp is covered with patches of Velcro-like spikes, enabling it to stick to and store up to four smaller fairy shrimp of different species — its prey. The new species also have a unique long, tapered and forked tail and the males have much longer antennas than other fairy shrimp.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Out of over three hundred fairy shrimp species world wide only three such species are believed to be the same size as the newly discovered shrimp. The shrimp have adapted to the hash environment and are believed to have remained undiscovered for so long due to living in brown opaque pools known as playas.

The newly discovered fairy shrimp swim upside down and are constantly on the move unless they have consumed smaller fairy shrimp.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Wow. Cool. Very interesting and well written. Thanks.

...I'm wondering if and how scientists know whether or not a newly discovered species is a new mutation, or just previously undiscovered.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I wonder what surrounds the Idaho lake in about a fifty mile radius....

For some reason, the first thing this story reminded me of was Blinky, the three-eyed fish in "The Simpsons", a result of the Nuclear power plant where Homer works.........

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
So wild how we can find new animals all the time.

How odd they can live in a "sometimes" dry lake bed.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Isn't it? ...Seems there is a lot of life on our planet that can lie 'dormant' until conditions are right to multiply - mostly microbes, but also certain species of frogs and other amphibians.

...Related - bears or maybe elephants can literally stop the growth of a growing fetus inside their bodies if the environment becomes threatening - and then start it up again when conditions improve. Amazing, huh? ...Life. Ya gotta love it.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I cannot edit the article anymore. My fault for going to bed early I guess.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Not so cool being picked up on one tiny spelling mistake. I also cannot edit the article anymore. Sorry but I feel like it was a waste of time posting these articles now.

no it is not...

posting here SHOULD improve your posting ability (check my thread about this in the board questions forum)...

PLUS, you get a niiice 750 points if your story gets "upgraded"...

BTW niiice post...

top topics

join