It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocking Bill Is Not So Shocking After All

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No it just allows someone who is over 18 who had sex with someone under 18 to not register as a sex offender. So basically, it's where all those people are going to run and hide now.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   
For anybody who has any interest in this bill, it really would be helpful for you to read the actual bill for yourself. It's not very long. A majority of it is lawyerspeak, but it's easy enough to understand.

This bill does not effect :
-The ability to charge anyone of a sexual offense.
- the sentencing of anyone convicted of a sexual offense.
- the sex offender registration requirements for anyone convicted of any violent sexual offense or other "lewd and lascivious" acts.

It only effects the sex offender registration requirements for anyone convicted of a non violent sexual offense that was deemed to be consensual and involved a person no more than 10 years younger than the offender.

This is my understanding of the bill. I'm certainly open to corrections if my understanding is flawed.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

a reply to: Sookiechacha

So yes.

Adults can now have consentual sex with people under the age of 18.

They can if their State's age of consent is 17, or 16. www.ageofconsent.net...

But this Bill addresses the fate of convicted criminals. It doesn't exonerate or make their behavior legal.

So. yes.

People over the age of 18 can now legally have sex with people under the age of 18.

What do you mean by "now"?

People over the age of 18 can have consensual sex with anyone who is of the age of consent...since whenever their State made the law.

This Bill does nothing to change any criminal statutes.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

What is the question? All of them.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
All men who have sex with children need to be kept alive so they can be tortured for the rest of their lives.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

a reply to: CharlesT

Simple question.

Does it allow people above the age of 18 to engage in sexual congress with people under the age of 18?

edit on 4-9-2020 by KansasGirl because: f it

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

OP’s attempt to downplay the thing is disgusting.

You need to back up and read the post again. I read the actual bill and refuted the other thread's OP's original assertion that the bill allowed perverts to rape children.
Oh, what's the use.

edit on 4-9-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

This paragraph does not preclude the court from requiring a person to register pursuant to Section 290.006.

See!
edit on 4-9-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Things in motion tend to stay in motion. The way that immorality is declining on a constant and steady level, indicates that this WILL eventually become a reality just like everyone said and figured it would many years ago. Right? Just look where we are now compared to 15 years ago.

Sodom and Gomorrah will arrive and real judgement will follow.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Torture any and all who dare defile the young.a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: KansasGirl

OP’s attempt to downplay the thing is disgusting.

You need to back up and read the post again. I read the actual bill and refuted the other thread's OP's original assertion that the bill allowed perverts to rape children.
Oh, what's the use.

This paragraph does not preclude the court from requiring a person to register pursuant to Section 290.006.

See!

Thanks. I read the snippets of it posted in both threads, but not the entire bill. From those it seemed to me that someone could be convicted of having sex with a 5 year old (for example), and as long as they weren’t more than ten years older, didn’t have to register as a sex offender. Thanks for pointing out to me that there is a lot more to the bill.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Is this the same guy who de-criminalised knowingly infecting someone with AIDS?

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   
A question that I had seems to have been answered here.
Yes, an 18 year old can have 'consensual ' sex with a 9 year old and not register as a sex offender.

What is the purpose of this bill?

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It seems to mean pedophilia is now ok. You just gotta be careful and stay within the guidelines.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Jesus Christ people. The bill seeks to apply the same law to gays that already applies to straight people.

From the Blaze

www.theblaze.com...

The bill — SB 145 — was introduced by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D), an openly gay man, and seeks to prevent gay adults who sodomize or perform oral sex with underage teenagers from being automatically assigned to California's sex offender registry.

The legislation calls for a judge to use discretion on assigning an individual to the sex offender registry if their victim was between the ages of 14 to 17 and the age difference between the offender and the victim is less than 10 years.

Under current law, a judge can decide whether to place a man who has vaginal intercourse with an underage teenage girl on the sex offender registry based on the facts of the case. But if anal or oral sex, or vaginal penetration with anything other than a penis is involved, the adult must register as a sex offender — a relic of a penal code that criminalized those acts until 1975, even between consenting adults.

The California Supreme Court upheld the legal difference in 2015, arguing that because vaginal intercourse can lead to pregnancy, forcing a father to register as a sex offender would subject him to social stigmatization that could make it difficult to find a job and support his child.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

my brother got put in jail for having sex with his 14 year old gf when he was 15.

they put him on the sex offender list as well.

My grandmother raised hell and got him released from jail but his name stayed on the list.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join