It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unreal delays for Driver License or Passports in the US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I only recently became aware of the frightening delays at obtaining a DL or Passport in my State of Texas. I needed to get a passport in order to start a job in Cancun and realized my passport is expired. While I was at it I thought before I leave I should go ahead and renew my DL as well in case the job ends up lasting for a while. I was given a passport appointment and told there is no expediting and it is a 6 months wait to get it now not the 6-8 weeks it was just a year ago. No expediting of course means you can not even pay a premium to get a passport in a reasonable time. I then went online to the Texas DMV and the soonest I could get an appointment anywhere near me would be in Feb of 2021.

I have little choice but to cross over not fly and get a 6 month Visa and wait to have my passport FedEXd to a house I am sharing in Cancun. I think if they can not fix these systems soon this is one more thing that will lead to the economic collapse that now seems inevitable at this point for many reasons. I will have to take 2 flights inside of Mexico in order to get to Cancun at this point. Since my work has become very difficult in the US I planned to try and get by with the lower cost of living in the Cancun area since I do not have to lease a place there and the bills are a bit cheaper.

At this point, they should move the DMV into Walmart or have the application system be made remote-friendly, or otherwise, the entire country is just that more likely to fail completely. They do after all have the ability to increase prices or automate the process in order to alleviate the waiting period. Why they would not just do this instead of losing revenue I don't understand.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Or you could have renewed your passport early, which you failed to do. You can't effectively use a passport that is due to expire within six months anyway. But I guess it must be all their fault.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Unreal delays for Driver License or Passports in the US

no problem here in fl, in fact i renewed my drivers license a month early on line and received it in less than the 7 to 10 days they said it would take got it in 5 days. and this is during covid.
can't say for passports haven't had one in years and i do mean years, something like 25 years or more.

edit on 4-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-9-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

That’s because the government can’t run anything with efficiency.
Six months is ridiculous but it will be a short wait if the feds run our healthcare system...lol

On a side note...
Why do you need a passport to go to Mexico?
They don’t need one to come here.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I didn't say it was all their fault. That is an unfair assessment. I just put light on a problem lets be honest.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That is how it works it seems. If I walk or take a ride across I don't have to have a passport but without one it is hard to get back in when I need to come back. It is just a situation that made me aware of what is going to become a problem if it persists for too long.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
I only recently became aware of the frightening delays at obtaining a DL or Passport in my State of Texas. I needed to get a passport in order to start a job in Cancun and realized my passport is expired. While I was at it I thought before I leave I should go ahead and renew my DL as well in case the job ends up lasting for a while. I was given a passport appointment and told there is no expediting and it is a 6 months wait to get it now not the 6-8 weeks it was just a year ago. No expediting of course means you can not even pay a premium to get a passport in a reasonable time. I then went online to the Texas DMV and the soonest I could get an appointment anywhere near me would be in Feb of 2021.

I have little choice but to cross over not fly and get a 6 month Visa and wait to have my passport FedEXd to a house I am sharing in Cancun. I think if they can not fix these systems soon this is one more thing that will lead to the economic collapse that now seems inevitable at this point for many reasons. I will have to take 2 flights inside of Mexico in order to get to Cancun at this point. Since my work has become very difficult in the US I planned to try and get by with the lower cost of living in the Cancun area since I do not have to lease a place there and the bills are a bit cheaper.

At this point, they should move the DMV into Walmart or have the application system be made remote-friendly, or otherwise, the entire country is just that more likely to fail completely. They do after all have the ability to increase prices or automate the process in order to alleviate the waiting period. Why they would not just do this instead of losing revenue I don't understand.

This is probably because of the "Real ID" Act of 2005, signed into law by George W. Bush. It was ultimately a response to the Homeland Security Act which was motivated by the 9/11 attacks. The Real ID act requires that any ID used for federal government purposes has to meet enhanced security requirements. "Federal government purposes" can actually be anything the government declares it to be, but at present it means admission to federal facilities and boarding aircraft at the very least. It was originally required that all state drivers licenses had to meet the Real ID requirements by October 1, 2020, so that precipitated a huge crunch of drivers license renewal appointments which, of course is worst in the big states. The Texas situation is the same in California and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's the same in Florida.

As it turns out, Congress recently postponed the deadline by 1 year because of the pandemic, but I guess word hasn't gotten out yet.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I think it is their fault! Wasn't that what all those pandemic planning events should have been about? Big money spent to problem solve logistics and yet the world ground to a halt. Here, at the beginning of the pandemic, no one could renew insurance or driver's license and passport applications either new or renewal were temporarily halted. Doesn't make sense. The post office and couriers were run off their feet with folk spending their government bucks on amazon so shipping wasn't the issue.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Perhaps you should not try to go so fast but attempt to contact the right person that knows where and how to apply to make them get you what you need . By the way ya this is stupid and is a cluster[word that I cannot say here] indeed. a reply to: machineintelligence

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
To enter the U.S. just follow the Chinese dissidents
who walk right in every day via the Canadian border
and Colville National Forest.

No passport needed.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Now yuz can't leave 🤓

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Was trying to get my passport straight to go to Europe, but turns out Americans are banned from Europe. And most other places too.

But yeah, totally nothing to worry about. Things have always been like this. We’ve always been at war with Eastasia.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
In some states (like NY), Illegal aliens are first in line for Drivers Licenses.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I doubt that they want to "fix" it. Looks to me like early implementation or at least acclimatization of denying citizens the right to freedom of movement and international travel.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
nope....nope....the offices were closed dude....

it's all on purpose....my Alaska trip was the last one.......with easy ID.....now it's war in the State of Texas....if someone dies in your family....they will get you done in 2 days.....only remedy.....

need a quick birth cirtificate....650 bucks at Kinkos.....next day.

originally posted by: schuyler
Or you could have renewed your passport early, which you failed to do. You can't effectively use a passport that is due to expire within six months anyway. But I guess it must be all their fault.

edit on 4-9-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
If you live overseas you can renew your passport.

if you go to government.com about passports you'll find out they are not issuing passports for the time being.

I think the only way you can get a US passport in America is either by joining the military or you're a government official and you have connections within the government but the fact of it is there's very few places that Americans are allowed in to fly to their country.

it just seems like we become an Open door prison around the world where we're really stuck within our country and many countries that is but Europe has from what I gather much more freedom to travel than America does Americans that is.

One important advice don't leave America without a valid US passport.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

My wife’s and my passports were due to expire in one year. I obtained all of the necessary paperwork online and submitted it (and our unexpired passports) to the appropriate address in Philadelphia. That was in early August, on a Friday. I used the USPS with tracking ability. The docs arrived in Philadelphia the following Tuesday. NINE days after the arrival in Philadelphia I received our new passports via the USPS. Amazing as it seems...that’s what happened. We live in SC. (Which I do not believe gets any special positive treatment from the U.S. government.)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

I didn't have a problem with obtaining a couple of new Birth Certificates from the State of Alabama. The one I had of those was destroyed in a flood when I was in Oklahoma and was not possible to present for a license or a passport. I was told that if I had a relative dying in Mexico I could travel to Dallas with an emergency waiver obtainable to get a passport card but that would have potential problems I think since it is not in fact true.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
If you think this delay is bad wait until the mandatory Covid vaccine to travel in and out of your country begins.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
If you think this delay is bad wait until the mandatory Covid vaccine to travel in and out of your country begins.

Vaccines are not required yet but you going to have to have certificate of being free of the virus when you leave the airport 2 days before you leave the airport that seems to be the new trend right now.
And right now in Japan those certificates cost between $200 to $400 a piece luckily who is really only traveling our business people that need to do out of this country business.
Private citizens traveling I'm not too aware of that requires the certificate clear of the virus.
But anyway it's getting more and more harder to travel freely around the world these days.
in a way maybe this virus is nothing more than a hoax to contain everybody under one rule by many people that are going to control the world's population.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join