It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: California passed legislation to remove penalties for having sex with children

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Judges already have "wide" discretion 😎

So who needs a new law?

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Anon283799

That shocking bill is not quite as shocking as what you assert if the bill is read rather than taking for granted what someone posts one paragraph out of context to be all there is.

Don't be gullible.

leginfo.legislature.ca.gov...

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), a person convicted of a violation of subdivision (b) of Section 286, subdivision (b) of Section 287, or subdivision (h) or (i) of Section 289 shall not be required to register if, at the time of the offense, the person is not more than 10 years older than the minor, as measured from the minor’s date of birth to the person’s date of birth, and the conviction is the only one requiring the person to register. This paragraph does not preclude the court from requiring a person to register pursuant to Section 290.006.

edit on 4-9-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Oops, someone accidentally deleted only the last sentence from that entire paragraph.
edit on 4-9-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Bhadhidar

So instead of raising the bar, we lower it for everyone? Is that right?

There have been cases where consensual teen couples are close in age then, if one ends up 18 and break up or family accusations fly, they get labelled as a sex offender for life. I was such a relationship as a youngster and can't imagine the horror of that label for life. My ex and I have always been close friends but family wasn't so happy, nor was it even near to a ten year age gap. I think it is to prevent that sort of situation since the proposed law allows for the ten year gap (which might be a bit too large to my mind) and a one time event only. This is not for repeat offenders or predatory cases... that said the new ruling should clarify the nature of the relationship not just be sex itself.

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo
And tonight's winner for the best followup post is, igloo. Congratulations! You have won a one way ticket with all expenses paid, to beautiful Portland, Oregon.
Seriously, the best followup post all night.

edit on 5-9-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   

It always helps to read the text in the bill. The objective of the bill is not in line with OP. Perhaps misinterpretation/understanding there. But the bill is about requirement to register as a sex offender where the other party is not that much older than the first - even in consensual cases. So, 19 year old girl dating 17 year old boy - as an example. That girl would become life-long sex offender. Bill corrects this situations.
edit on 5-9-2020 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The Bill was written by Scott Weiner, the same guy who wrote the bill that reduces the penalty for knowingly giving someone HIV.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
Yes closing in on more perverts pedophiles and the like...just to "wish them well"

posted on Sep, 7 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I honestly think the ten year age gap is where most of the disgust at this bill comes from. This would make a 21 year old who hard a” consensual “ encounter with an 11 year old not have to register. If it’d been written with a purpose of common sense rather than degeneracy, it’d have had an age gap either 4 or 5 years which would have covered all the common situations like high school freshman dating a senior, and the older looking 16 year old dating someone a couple of years out of high school.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join