It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars And Stripes Newspaper To Shut Down September 15th.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Stars and Stripes newspaper has been around for the troops since the Civil War, and is delivered daily to the troops.

The administration states the cost is high, although it's noted to be around 15.5 million per year, the budget for the military is 700 billion.

Congress has not approved the request to shut it down, but it is being done anyway.

How do any of our former military feel? Was it something you read daily? It is stated that it is good source to have for troops who may be in areas with no access to news and spotty internet service.

The eagerness to kill Stars and Stripes is hard to fathom. As the senators note in their letter to Esper, the $15.5 million saved by eliminating the newspaper’s subsidy would have a “negligible impact” on the Pentagon’s $700 billion budget. 

USA Today

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I've been in the Military 20 yrs.

Stars and Stripes has never even been a blip on my radar. Sure, it's a drop in the DOD bucket. But it's still taxpayer dollars being wasted on a product that no one uses.

If a story hadn't been written about it, no one would have noticed it was gone.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I read it a lot back in the days of the Cold War. But that was before the internet was around.

Put briefly, S&S was never a big deal for stateside-based troops. Its utility was with troops overseas. The troops overseas now have access to a bunch of English-language news sources on the internet. So S&S is probably seen as a fifth wheel.

Where it will have impact are the articles that were military-related -- such and such a unit moving, this or that individual being recognized, etc. Some of that will be covered by publications like "Army Times".

Kind of wraps up something started back in the 1990s when they shut down the Stars and Stripes bookstores on the bases and started selling books at the post or base exchange.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Stars and Stripes, like all other media, has become politicized.

They have a near-zero readership as well. It served its purpose. Those days are gone now.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Stars and Stripes, like all other media, has become politicized.

They have a near-zero readership as well. It served its purpose. Those days are gone now.

One thing is that a lot of the articles in S&S were simply AP reprints. Again, if troops want to read those, they can be accessed on the internet. And that probably explains some of the politicization. The S&S staff is too small to have a worldwide cadre of journalists to keep up on the news, so if the MSM drifts away from professional content, the S&S would be pulled along.

I wonder what will become of their article database. That is a useful resource for research into military affairs, particularly for the pre-internet days.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I have fond memories reading it growing up in the 1980s and 1990s but as soon as the internet hit it really wasn't necessary, to be honest.
I will miss it, but I can see why it is being done.

A million saved, is a million...earned?

Edit to say, even on post we read more local papers than the Stars and Stripes.
Or just the Army times online etc.
edit on 4/9/2020 by chris_stibrany because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

What is still super important is AFN . IMHO

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
The more propaganda rags that go out of business the better.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I spent over 50 years as part of the active duty military beginning as a child of an active duty member, then spouse of an active duty member (retired).

Stars and Stripes was important when we lived overseas before the internet. We read it daily and it was a lifeblood for us during the times when getting a US newspaper took over a week. I loved it as an adult, especially the part where it spent time on every Supreme Court decision in detail.

That said, I no longer read it, not even online. I stopped reading it once the internet became available in our home. Now that the internet is available to all service members everywhere it is not needed. The military can access all newspapers on their phones, tablets, computers.

Stars and Stripes has become obsolete and a drain on the military budget. There is a good reason to get rid of cannons from WWI and WWII and replace them. There is a good reason to get rid of all obsolete items that are so little used and become obsolete.

I for one say a fond farewell to the Stars and Stripes, everything has a lifespan and it had a good run. RIP with my love and blessing.

edit on 9/4/20 by The2Billies because: grammar

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Thanks, I was curious if it really mattered that much to the troops anymore, or if it was more like you guys have said, sad to see an era gone, but not really necessary these days.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
The more propaganda rags that go out of business the better.

It was not a propaganda rag.

I read it for at least 30 years. The journalists were real journalists unlike all major US newspapers.

My favorite part was where it did what no other paper in the US did. Every Supreme Court decision was reported on and explained without a bias.

I doubt you ever read a single issue.

That said, it has outlived it's usefulness as now soldiers overseas can get news from their phones, tablets, etc. where in the past it could take a week to get a newspaper from the US in non-English speaking countries.

I loved reading the S&S, even when it said nice things about Clinton whom I despise and have always despised.

You are wrong and making a bigoted, prejudiced and informed assumed bias.

I say the paper has outlived it's usefulness and may it RIP, but was much needed before the age of the internet and did it's best to uphold the old values of journalism that are totally lost on today's modern journalists who lack integrity and are unable to write an unbiased sentence.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I would argue that the only 'modern journalists' are independent and online. Or in rare cases they work for local free papers.

Anyone I see on a major network, or read in a major 'paper' is not even facts anymore.
They have lost the art of research, engagement, and analysis.
Instead all I see and read is opinion emotion opinion.
It's pathetic.

a reply to: The2Billies

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Since people in the military have plenty of ways to get news and information now, even when in the field, I don't see a problem with this. Served its purpose, but it's a dinosaur now and serves no purpose these days.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Well since its government property those articles will be in the national archives.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
The Stars and Stripes newspaper has been around for the troops since the Civil War, and is delivered daily to the troops.

The administration states the cost is high, although it's noted to be around 15.5 million per year, the budget for the military is 700 billion.

Congress has not approved the request to shut it down, but it is being done anyway.

How do any of our former military feel? Was it something you read daily? It is stated that it is good source to have for troops who may be in areas with no access to news and spotty internet service.

The eagerness to kill Stars and Stripes is hard to fathom. As the senators note in their letter to Esper, the $15.5 million saved by eliminating the newspaper’s subsidy would have a “negligible impact” on the Pentagon’s $700 billion budget. 

USA Today

I spent 20 years in the Navy, and I never read Stars and Stripes. I suspect that most others in the military never read it either. I agree with watch it burn. Nobody reads it, and quite frankly, I couldn’t care less that it’s going the way of the dinosaur.

new topics

top topics

join