It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11-year-old suspended for handling Airsoft gun during online school session

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Ah, the wonders of online schooling. We've discussed this one before about online schooling and letting the teachers see into your home. Here's another issue where the teacher "sees" the bad ol' gun and decides the extend the zero tolerance policy into your home.

A sixth-grade student in Colorado is suspended from school for four days for handling his Airsoft gun during a Zoom school session earlier this week, his parents told Nexstar sister station KDVR.

In a previous one, the teacher saw the guns stored properly in the room on a rack and called in officials. This time, the kid grabbed his Airsoft and started messing with it to give his hands something to do.

But they didn't just suspend him. They sent an actual police officer to his house to do a welfare check ... because the kid has an Airsoft.

Maddox, a student at Bell Middle School in Golden, Colorado, said he was attending online class and finished a quiz early, so he pulled up other things on his computer screen and mindlessly grabbed the Airsoft pistol in his room. His actions were caught on a recording, but a teacher didn’t notice it until hours later when she was reviewing the recorded session, according to Justin Blow, Maddox’s father.

Not only did he not have it during a full class session, but it was after a quiz when there was dead time in the class. And, it took the teacher hours to notice. She was reviewing class footage when she saw it. Turns out the kid thought he had his camera off at the time because there was no real reason to have it on and he was doing other things with his dead time.

A spokesperson for Jeffco Public Schools, Cameron Bell confirmed the incident and said, “The student has been disciplined according to our district code of conduct. We do not speak about specific student discipline issues due to confidentiality. Anything else is a law enforcement issue.”

The district’s policy related to “grounds for suspension/expulsion” states schools shall consider the age of the student, their disciplinary history, whether another student’s safety was threatened and whether lesser interventions would properly address the violation when considering discipline.

“Suspension should be the last tool in the toolbox,” said Steve Durham, the vice chair of the state board of education. Durham said his comments do not represent the board. He was the only board member who responded to a request for comments.

“It is completely irresponsible on the part of the education officials to deny this child four days of education for something that posed no danger to anyone,” he said.

It sounds like the local district and the state board of ed standards are at loggerheads on this one. I wonder how much the local group over-reacted and now they're discovering that not everyone stands behind them now that the parents and press are making a huge deal out of it.

Even so, this is the issue with letting teachers see into your home. How on earth does that mean the school district suddenly extends into your home too?

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ours get to see our kids and the wall behind them. Not that there's anything to hide, but who knows what someone will misinterpret.

Sometimes duct tape, a shovel, a rag, and a bottle of ether have legitimate purpose together!

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

When I was in high school..89 grad...there were pickups with guns in gun racks in the parking lot.
Kids carried pocket knives too.

Nobody was ever shot or stabbed.

Moral values are a thing of the past.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's just astonishing to me that they think that because you can't take them to school that it means you can't have them at home where they might see them over the video.

Ours has an entire NERF arsenal because he'd be left out in the neighborhood if he didn't. Would his teacher get her knickers in a wad over that if he picked up his NERF pistol idly? It's not like those things aren't neon bright plastic, but they're still obviously guns. I do think one of the zombie series does have a chainsaw bayonette thingie going on.
edit on 4-9-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

When I was in high school..89 grad...there were pickups with guns in gun racks in the parking lot.

Those were the last days.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga

Those were the last days.

Things have been going to # for a while now but it really ended when people started drinking seltzer beers...

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Students had gun racks in their trucks at my high school right up until Columbine. They still had the racks after, they’d just put the guns behind the seats before coming onto school property. No one cared. Granted, it was in Maine and we all grew up with guns around and were taught how to use them very early on. Hunting on the weekends with dad and the uncles was a way of life up there.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   
With these issues you need to pursue legal action, that way schools will think twice before pushing BS views from scared arse teachers.

Cut their pay, we're doing all the work while they teach online a couple hours and that's that.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Drucifer

I'm still sticking with kids being medicated for the main reason for school shootings.

Kids with mental issues were usually the quite ones staying out of the way or even killing themselves. Now with the drugs it's like they lash out.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to be the pattern.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Teacher probably more concerned why the kid wasn't fully brainwashed by the MSM by now and she was 😃

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I hope kids don't eat their Pop Tarts into pistol shapes while they are doing Zoom classes... the police could be super busy.

My son showed me a video last week of a Zoom class that had taken place where one student asked if he could display a page of his homework for all the class to see. The teacher said, 'Sure, I just have to make you the Zoom host.' She made him the host and he immediately deleted her from the Zoom conference. She logged back on and he booted her out again.
She couldn't see that coming. These are the people that are teaching our kids, policing our homes.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

'91 here and yea... kids skipping school for the first day of hunting season was the norm, orstoring guns and ammo in their trucks so they could evening hunt after school.

Fist fights would occur right next to thse guns and nobody ever tried to grab them.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I grew up in a small town in Colorado, this was the way things were. It was very common to see rifles in the back of trucks, almost everyone had pocket knives, either in pocket or in a holster on their belt. It saddens me to see that this is what Colorado is turning in to.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Sheer madness. LoL

But was the wee fellow not already at home?

So feck knows how they can suspend him.

Technically they are all suspended until the Schools reopen.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
"Inside the flat a fruity voice was reading out a list of figures which had something to do with the production of pig-iron. The voice came from an oblong metal plaque like a dulled mirror which formed part of the surface of the right-hand wall. Winston turned a switch and the voice sank somewhat, though the words were still distinguishable. The instrument (the telescreen, it was called) could be dimmed, but there was no way of shutting it off completely."

"Winston kept his back turned to the telescreen. It was safer, though, as he well knew, even a back can be revealing."

"It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself - anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face (to look incredulous when a victory was announced, for example) was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime, it was called."

- from 1984 by George Orwell.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.
I have read that in some districts school boards want parents to sign a contract prohibiting them from monitoring online classes.

www.themix.net...

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
"Suspended". As in, can not log into a website.

Ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No one at school had problems with me or any other students bringing our rifles in for practice. We had close on 30 in the rifle range 3 nights a week. 6 of us were on the rifle team.

Wonder if schools still have rifle teams anymore.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Child arrested for having a toy in his room.

What a joke. These sort of nonsensical school policies should be outlawed nationwide.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's the idea that there is something wrong with having an Airsoft in your room, and that some teacher can apply classroom rules to a private bedroom she views over a Zoom.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join