It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief vs Fact

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   

What do you figure is different, between : beliefs, opinions, consensus reality, facts, and truth ?

originally posted by: kiro8lak
a reply to: Nothin

A very good question. Honestly, I don't know . . . . .but I suspect that an opinion is a mental conviction which can possibly be changed by logic & reasoning; a belief might be a more deep-seated opinion possibly with some sort of moral overtone; consensus reality would probably be a world view that has been inculcated into one since birth & is unavoidable if one were to function in society without being committed to an institution; a fact, I imagine would something incontrovertible in keeping with consensus reality (yet I can think of several rebuttals already!) & truth. . . well, maybe a more abstract fact, also with possible moral overtones, & subject to interpretation in accordance with one's world view.

I suspect many of these are interchangeable in common parlance. What's your view?

Hey ! Wait a minute !
It's supposed to be me asking the questions !
LoL ! Just kidding !
Am not used to folks turning my questions back on me.

Like your first answer, the mostest.
So many claims of knowledge around these parts, and rare to find a good old honest : "I don't know".
But then : we get the feeling that we;re supposed to try harder, so go-off skating on-to the thin ice of the new day, engaging in pirouettes of the mind, spins of the languages, and some good old double-salchow guessing.

Chewin the fat, in good old common parlance.
We're here to engage with others, so we dig to share our ideas.
So : just like you : me don't know.
But since you were nice enough to guess for me : will guess* right back !
*guesses offered here, are only valid for this second.

Belief : something one feels to be deeply true, and doesn't require any further proof for.
Opinion : a tenuous idea, tied to ones ego, and therefore : must be bounced at anyone and everyone.
Consensus reality : the stuff most agree about, whether true or not.
Facts : data points, verified and vetted, in various ventures, of varied variety.
Truth : That which is beyond description, yet undeniable.

And for bonus points :
View : The snapshot from a single point of consciousness, of a thing also being observed, by another.

Views expiring in : 3 ; 2 ; 1 ...

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: kiro8lak
If you, like me, are either Agnostic or Atheist, how do you feel about the possible survival of consciousness after physical death?

If we have no "beliefs" in an external "god" at this moment, "Now", while we can see the forms of all things - such as nature, our own faces in the mirror, our hands, our Loved Ones, & yet do not "believe" in an externalized creator "god". . . . so why would the survival of consciousness prove otherwise? Wouldn't it be simply be in "the nature of" everything else & All Things?

I recently had a discussion with someone who said that if I found myself conscious after dropping the body, that would prove the existence of god. I disagreed. I feel that if we are conscious after "death", that would be part of "life" & would neither prove or disprove anything.

I don't understand why "belief" is such a huge issue in the Scheme of Things. The Universe is breathtaking in & of Itself -why need there be some external intervention?

BUT I am willing to stand corrected, if need be. . .yet, how do we convince another of a belief, which by its nature is subjective & NOT provable? If not, it would be a Fact, not a Belief??

To know where consciousness goes to you need to know where consciousness comes from. The fact is that as a current science movement believer you need to believe consciousness originates from matter after matter being matter for a long long period of time.

Big bang -> millions of years of matter -> consciousness

<< 1  2   >>

join