It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time for Protest Control

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Was there an answer in there?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Ex-felons should not be allowed to protest.
It's just common sense.

Exactly!

So if we want to keep felons from protesting, we need to have protesters go through a background check to get a permit to protest in public.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
One man's trash,
One man's terrorist,

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Was there an answer in there?

TheRedneck

Not where I am from, I wish there was.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Preach! Yes! Common sense protesting laws are what we need!

Kids are being subjected to protests at such a young age. Perhaps if we used some form of locking mechanism to protect children from these protests. Yes, some common sense laws are what's needed here. But don't worry, NOBODY is trying to take away your protests......

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I thought it was a simple question. Do you think there is an actual right to keep and bear arms?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

a reply to: subfab

i think you are confusing "rights" with "privilege" .

No, I don't think I am... unless you are claiming the 2nd Amendment describes a privilege?

TheRedneck

no the 2nd amendment is a right. no law should be made to hinder that right.
no law should be made to hinder our right to protest.

instead of a license, we should arrest the persons who commit crimes and our elected leaders should support the police, and legislative process.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

no the 2nd amendment is a right. no law should be made to hinder that right.
no law should be made to hinder our right to protest.

Wow... what a concept!

Let me get this straight... no laws restricting guns and no laws restricting protests... so anyone can protest if they want to? Just grab a sign and go petition the government for a redress of grievances?

I hadn't thought of that!

Maybe that would be a better idea all the way around! Way to think outside the box!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
Don't want to derail, but I just have to quickly say it after reading through this thread.

Oh mai gawd, I love you.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I missed this one yesterday. I love it.

Bravo, a very powerful way to make an important point. We can't pick and chose which guaranteed Rights to support.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Simple Solution . Don't Let Communists Carry Guns in this Country .

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Are you trying to compare gun laws to other laws? Why? Is this some argument like ban spoons because spoons cause obesity? But this is even worse?

Inanimate object (gun) vs a statement (protest).

All your militia gangs, KKK, and Neo-Nazi's will get sidelined by your brilliant idea to rewrite the first amendment.
edit on 4-9-2020 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
< read OP, reads ensuing comments. Proceeds to snicker a hell of a lot >

To be extremely fair and objective here, I actually can get somewhat behind the per-person protest permitting. After all, if we can tell a felon to # right off, you gave up your right to vote and have a firearm, then we can certainly tell a felon to # right off, you gave up your right to legally publicly assemble as well.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Are you trying to compare gun laws to other laws? Why? Is this some argument like ban spoons because spoons cause obesity? But this is even worse?

Inanimate object (gun) vs a statement (protest).

Both the right to protest and the right to keep and bear arms are rights. The unrestrained exercise of both have been shown to be potentially deadly to others. That last part is the stated reason why some have chosen to try to restrict the right to keep and bear arms; therefore the exact same argument can be used to restrict the right to protest.

Simple logic. If you want to infringe on my right, I can then infringe on yours. Either both are rights, or both are subject to whatever "common sense" restrictions others wish to place on them.

There is no other argument. Your statement above is based in no logic, but in mental gymnastics that fall apart at the first examination. I expected as much when I started this thread; I am only surprised it took until page 4 for someone to step off into illogic. Congratulations!

I urge you and those who started to step out into this but chose not to, to remember this the next time there is an attempt to restrict guns. If people support my rights, I will support theirs when they come under attack. If my rights don't matter to you, neither will yours matter to me.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

To be extremely fair and objective here, I actually can get somewhat behind the per-person protest permitting.

I'll freely admit, I started this thread a somewhat of a joke, a "gotcha" to point out the hypocrisy between the positions of some on rights... but the more I think about it now, I can actually get behind a license to protest! States are implementing the RealID thing now, so it wouldn't even be a new ID, just a license to protest tied to one's RealID.

As such, a licensed individual could be required to have a protest ID number, similar to a car tag, on their clothing somewhere. Any video of someone rioting could lead to easy identification and later pickup by law enforcement. Felons are not allowed to protest period outside their own homes. That would be a mess at first, but if displaying a false ID number or protesting without an ID number were made a Federal crime, say a misdemeanor 1st offense, then a minor felony for 2nd offense, that would quickly thin out the number of rioters disrupting protests and actually promote peaceful protest.

Not to mention, we could put an age limit on protests. No more clips with little children being drug into a riot by incompetent mothers. 18 or older, please, and anyone under 16 attending with parents would subject the parents to a further charge of endangering a minor.

Yeah, I am actually starting to like this idea!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I do openly admit the entire point of my own comment was to deliberately bait someone in who would prefer to cherry pick. I can't argue a felon losing their gun rights supercedes losing their voting rights in terms of punishment importance or merit, or even losing the right to assemble, without acknowledging something really important --

And that is, as far as I'm concerned, loss of rights is one of the country's most serious punishments short of when the death penalty is applicable (that's the ULTIMATE forfeiture of all them) and they're all up for grabs equally when you screw up seriously enough to risk losing the right to, well, a right.

Not even sure why right to assemble isn't on the table as a loss risk to begin with, to be honest.

edit on 9/4/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Detroit .... outside agitator groups have demanded the police chief leave ... Not Detroiters , the political left wing paid agitators ... The same groups rioting and causing unrest for MSM ..
30 seconds in the pertinent story start s

The Police Chief told Them - the domestic terrorists and mob as in criminal mob to leave ....

Support your Local Law Enforcement !

edit on 942020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

edit on 942020 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Just in case it was not added by someone else:

- You only can protest a day for a day and also not longer than X days in a row. (full auto ban and magazine restrictions)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Sookiechacha

Pretty sure they already need a permit to assemble.

Actually, these protests have not even been legal. They are after curfews, or think about CHAZ/CHOP? Did they have a permit to take over a section of town for several days?

What else should they submit to? Do you think every America should obtain a permit to protest, at any given time?

Every American has to have a permit to carry a gun, at any given time.

I gave a whole list of requirements that make common sense to me in the OP. Do they not make common sense to you?

TheRedneck

To me they do...im canadian...lol

but this is exactly what democrats been wanting for years and republicans dint even want to ear about it....crying there coming for your guns...what you describe is gun control and its what the us need...exactly like you said it...

ps:ive been reading your post for i wile now and i never tough i would agree with you ever....i was wrong...lol

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Not even sure why right to assemble isn't on the table as a loss risk to begin with, to be honest.

Especially when abused.

I'd have to agree that the loss of rights is second only to capital punishment (which is a loss of rights in itself: the right to life), and I also believe that such a loss should be commensurate with the crime. I actually oppose losing gun rights for any felony, but I understand it when the crime is one of a violent nature and moreso when the crime involves the use of a gun. Similarly, if one riots during a protest, I would understand them losing their right to protest.

Incidentally, I see the right to protest as separate from the right to assemble. I assemble with others all the time, but not in protest of anything. The right to assemble means the government cannot choose who I associate with. The right to protest is, to me, a combination of two rights: the right to assemble and the right to redress the government for grievances.

And who knows? The right to protest being on the table as one that can be lost may take hold with all of the rioting. It will be interesting to watch those who would gladly remove all guns from society but who hold the right to protest dear trying to make sense of that. Judging by the number of posters in this thread who never caught the comparison compared to the small number who did, I don't think even then most people would understand it is all because of a precedent they set themselves.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join