It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time for Protest Control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   
No, no, no... no one panic! We're not coming after your protests! Everyone has an absolute right to protest! I support that right!

But... come on, man... how many deaths have we seen lately from protesters? I mean, really, the whole point of a protest is to get rowdy, right? And rowdy people wind up hurting other people needlessly. All I am saying is we need to use some common sense measures to protect the innocent. So here's what I am suggesting:
  • Everyone who protests outside their home must be licensed to do so.
  • A protest license must have a background check. If someone has been convicted of illegalities during protests, that person should not be allowed to protest in open public so they don't get a license.
  • Obviously felons are a large part of the problem, so felons are denied a protest license.
  • I think a person who wishes to protest should take a state-sponsored course in how to safely and correctly protest, with some civics thrown in for good measure. The license should not be issued until that course is passed.
  • We also need a 72-hour cooling off period before the license is issued.
That's all I am suggesting. Not too bad is it? After all, it's just common sense restrictions.

Wait... what's that you say? It's your right to protest? Of course it is! No one is challenging that. But rights aren't absolute either. We can put reasonable restrictions on rights... and we even have a precedent! The right to keep and bear arms is a right as well, but we have these common sense restrictions on that:
  • If you carry a firearm outside of your home, you must be licensed to do so.
  • A firearm license comes with a background check. If someone has been convicted of a violent crime, that person should not be allowed to carry a firearm in open public so they don't get a license.
  • Obviously felons shouldn't be carrying firearms, so felons are denied a firearm license.
  • I think a person who wishes to carry a firearm should take a state-sponsored course in how to safely and correctly use a firearm. The firearm license should not be issued until that course is passed.
  • We have a 73 hour cooling off period for firearm purchases.

Yeah, I get it... we need those common sense restrictions for firearm safety. We also apparently need them for protest safety. We've had far too many people killed during protests lately, so we have to take these common sense measures to ensure that more people are not killed protesting.

So who's with me? We need Protest Control, and we need it now!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
I say allowing everyone to protest draws the crazies into to open for arrest.

I like what President Trump did with the 10 year minimum for statue destroyers. After he signed that into law, the destruction stopped...COLD.

Make the law tougher on protestors who commit crimes of violence and looting. 1 year for looting...5 for destruction of property...10 for injuring...Electric Chair for murder. (All Minimums.)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No, no, we tried that with firearms. Stiffer sentences didn't do the job. We have to enact Protest Control! It's the only way! Besides, people protesting aren't the problem... it's the protests themselves! Unlicensed protests kill!

It's the only civilized way...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Should have omitted the second half of your post. Would have been a good exercise in hypocrisy.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

We should be careful, using that civilized word, no good deeds go unpunished. Should tread carefully giving our federal government more bills and laws to pass under the veil of our best interest. Indeed thou on paper our government should be designed to solve this problem already. Good thread redneck. This vote in November, is important as ever.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:05 AM
link   
If you don't give them a license, they will build bombs and kill lots of people.

At least if they can get arrested while committing a crime during a protest, they are put away for a minimum number of years.

Saving many lives that were not destroyed or maimed, by his/her bomb.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

What happened to watering the Tree Of Liberty with the blood of patriots, that needs to happen from time to time?

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If you don't give them a license, they will build bombs and kill lots of people.

At least if they can get arrested while committing a crime during a protest, they are put away for a minimum number of years.

But, but, but... that means if someone can't get a gun permit they'll become a armed shooter and kill hundreds?

Shouldn't we be letting everyone carry firearms so we can arrest the ones who abuse them?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

What happened to watering the Tree Of Liberty with the blood of patriots, that needs to happen from time to time?

Hey, I'm just looking for a fair solution to all. Don't you agree that protesters should be licensed for the good of society?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Pretty sure they already need a permit to assemble. What else should they submit to? Do you think every America should obtain a permit to protest, at any given time?

Should we be registering our free speech?

Hey, I'm just looking for a fair solution to all.

How about we address the issues, the grievances being brought forward for redress?

edit on 4-9-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Novel idea.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Pretty sure they already need a permit to assemble.

Actually, these protests have not even been legal. They are after curfews, or think about CHAZ/CHOP? Did they have a permit to take over a section of town for several days?

What else should they submit to? Do you think every America should obtain a permit to protest, at any given time?

Every American has to have a permit to carry a gun, at any given time.

I gave a whole list of requirements that make common sense to me in the OP. Do they not make common sense to you?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Looks like there was no need to omit the second half of my post.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I don’t think that’s enough. They should have to wait 2 or more months for the mail to receive their permit before exercising their right to protest.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Bravo Sir, well done.
Though it's disappointing so many missed your point.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:11 AM
link   
If you are going to protest something, do it during the day. Seams like most the trouble happens at night as some of these wild street parties get out of control.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

This sounds like a direct road towards literal fascism... unless there's some sort of sarcasm going on?

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

A direct road to literal fascism... no! Can't be! I'm suggesting nothing that hasn't been done for 100 years... just to another right.

Rights are rights, right?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
You already need to submit an application to legally protest and have training in health and safety, risk assesment and legal matters to complete the application forms/submit risk management to police. Pretty sure people can be temporarilly be banned from attending protests if they've taken part in rioting.

Deaths have been caused by rioters not protestors. Making people apply for and require a permit to protest is illegal under every international civil, politcal and human right law.

Instead of removing basic human rights and freedoms essential for democracy to function just get Police to enforce pre-existing laws.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   
What you are suggesting is just plain BS and un-american to boot.

Protests don't kill people, people kill people.

Why I left my protest out on the porch for a whole weekend; signs, a bullhorn, even one of those panty-fa flags and it didn't kill a single person.

For some people protesting is just a tool.

In my neck of the woods people protest to put food on their table.

Besides, the FF had the foresight to include the right to protest in case we the people ever had the need to take down a tyrannical government.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join