It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. court: Mass surveillance program exposed by Snowden was illegal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Seven years after former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the mass surveillance of Americans’ telephone records, an appeals court has found the program was unlawful - and that the U.S. intelligence leaders who publicly defended it were not telling the truth.

In a ruling handed down on Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said the warrantless telephone dragnet that secretly collected millions of Americans’ telephone records violated the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and may well have been unconstitutional.

Snowden, who fled to Russia in the aftermath of the 2013 disclosures and still faces U.S. espionage charges

U.S. court: Mass surveillance program exposed by Snowden was illegal

It should be clear to all of us here that what Snowden did several years ago was heroic and now we have the courts of the land on our side. Now is the time for Trump to come out with that pardon he said he was seriously considering almost a month ago. Now is the time for him to prove Barr wrong and take a stand:

US: William Barr 'vehemently opposed' to Edward Snowden pardon

Attorney general labels former NSA contractor a 'traitor' after President Trump suggested he would consider a pardon.

Election time is right around the corner and this will only serve to shoot up his support. Heck I'll even start reconsidering a lot of my attitude against Trump if he walks the talk and makes that pardon. I'm sure Snowden and his family have been through hell during all these years, having been deserted by their country and peers. The Obama Administration set the tone, Trump and turn it around.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
President Trump made no promises.

He said he'd look into it.

That said, I am hopeful that he will pardon Snowden. Especially in light of this ruling.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Obama proved to be very weak on this issue. Despite opposition to the Patriot Act as a senator and a lot of talk about reform, most scorecards give him pretty low grades in this area. However, that lovely little Patriot Act was ultimately a product of the Bush era, with a lot of blind support from members of congress on both sides--many of whom didn't even bother to actually read it before ramming in through post 911. I think Ron Paul may have been one of the only ones to read the damn thing--hence his vehement opposition to it.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

President Trump made no promises.

And how do you feel about that in relation to this recent ruling? And Snowden?

The OP is pretty clear about what Trump said, and makes no mention of 'promises'.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

So when can we expect some arrests?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well, there's no point in speculating if the administration does nothing in the end.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Then I guess it doesn't really matter if it was illegal.

What's that old expression...
It's only illegal if you get caught.... Or in this case prosecuted.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I already expressed how I feel about it.

You seem to think Trump made some kind of commitment to pardoning Snowden.

Heck I'll even start reconsidering a lot of my attitude against Trump if he walks the talk and makes that pardon.

The "talk" was "I'll look into it."

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

You seem to think Trump made some kind of commitment to pardoning Snowden

And where is this shown or demonstrated in the OP? Beyond your feels?

I already expressed how I feel about it.

I asked you about how you feel about Trump not actually committing to a pardon. You've only expressed you're hopeful. Does this mean you're largely indifferent if Trump doesn't pardon Snowden? Answer vaguely again, and I'll get my answer.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

D'you you think this was a conspiracy...
or do I smell exceptionalism?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The laffs are on the law abiding.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I smell Obama's administration breaking the law.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I hope Snowden is fully pardoned.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

twitter.com...

Trump wild (election) card, but it would be a massive reversal of Trump's prior position on Snowden: "Snowden is a spy who should be executed."

Trump: ‘A lot of people’ think Edward Snowden ‘not being treated fairly’

“Snowden is one of the people they talk about. They talk about numerous people, but he is certainly one of the people that they do talk about,” Trump said on Thursday, before turning to his aides. “I guess the DOJ is looking to extradite him right now? … It’s certainly something I could look at. Many people are on his side, I will say that. I don’t know him, never met him. But many people are on his side.”

The president then asked his staff: “How do you feel about that, Snowden? Haven’t heard the name in a long time.”

After polling the room, Trump added: “I’ve heard it both ways. From traitor to he’s being you know persecuted. I’ve heard it both ways.”

Prior to 2020 I would say a definite NO to any pardon but given all the crazy insane turn of events the past 8 months and Trump's disdain for the intel agencies, it could happen.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The difficultly with implicating the previous administration would be the strong connections and continuation of the same aparatus during this one:

The Trump Administration Is Using the Full Power of the U.S. Surveillance State Against Whistleblowers

Trump Administration Moves To Reauthorize NSA’s Controversial Spying Program

This goes beyond partisan and political lines. Barr's comments are a clear example of this.
edit on 3-9-2020 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'm not too hopeful following Barrs comments but glad you have support out for Snowden.

He's gone through enough. I really do feel for him.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The long term relationship that the NSA had with AT&T, brought out by the senior NSA official whistle blower Bill Binney happened way before Snowden dumped his info, but they were able to keep it from going viral in the MSM.

Once Snowden came forward, they had a victim. They created a federal treason incident to take the public's eye off the ball and threw Snowden under the bus.

Snowden was a hero, and President Trump should pardon him as soon as possible.
edit on 3-9-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Trump wild (election) card, but it would be a massive reversal of Trump's prior position on Snowden: "Snowden is a spy who should be executed."

He's certainly allowed to change his mind. I'll give Trump that. We'll wait and see..... only a few months left if he isn't re-elected...

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Trump doesn't need to lose Barr right now. If there are any pardons coming they need to wait 2 years.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Trump doesn't need to lose Barr right now. If there are any pardons coming they need to wait 2 years.

That is a good point. Barr needs to tow the hard line on this, because it is his business and Snowden affected a lot of things in his charge. Perhaps he will come around, but agree that a little time needs to go by in President Trumps second term before he does it, so I will take away my immediacy of the issue.
edit on 3-9-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

top topics

<<   2 >>

join