It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Administration Attempts Image Makeover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
President Bush was warned 13 months ago that anti-American sentiment is growing rapidly in the Middle East and has now taken action. His confidant, Karen Hughes, has been oppointed new undersecretary of public diplomacy. She is the 3rd person to occupy the position in the State Department since 9/11.

story.news.yahoo.c om
Thirteen months ago, one of Washington's top intelligence officials warned that burgeoning anti-American sentiment in the Muslim world was providing sustenance for extremists. Vice Adm. Lowell Jacoby, the head of Defense Intelligence Agency, updated that warning last month and turned up the volume, telling senators that Osama bin Laden was feeding off the negative feelings, which are at an all-time high.

But on Monday--following months of simmering criticism about its foundering public diplomacy efforts--the White House named Karen Hughes, a longtime confidant of President Bush, to head the State Department office charged with turning that tide and improving America's image abroad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This atleast amounts to an admission by Bush that his international actions are unpoplar and causing adverse reactions in the Middle East. Will he expand his image makeover offensive Worldwide to cover all the countries that have beefs with Bush?

We saw a so called charm offensive on Bush's trip to Europe which barely hid the contempt both EU leaders and Bush felt for each other. This is fine in the political world but did little to correct any problems or anxieties felt by the general public.

I feel that this latest appointment to undersecretary of public diplomacy will do little in improving the way America is seen worldwide. The only thing that will change attitudes are major policy shifts and years of sustained constructive involvement as a partner in World affairs.

[edit on 16-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Try not to bury stories that are bitter pills to swallow, this is news and contradicts some peoples views on American policy.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
"Thirteen months ago, one of Washington's top intelligence officials warned that burgeoning anti-American sentiment in the Muslim world was providing sustenance for extremists. Vice Adm. Lowell Jacoby, the head of Defense Intelligence Agency, updated that warning last month and turned up the volume, "

..See? It wasn't the liberals. It was staff.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
As someone who participates first hand in reviewing some of the attempts at positive image presentation to Middle Eastern young people including the laughable "Hi!" magazine I'm afraid that no Karen Hughes or any other true blue American PR spin merchant is going to save the day.

But a wholesale defenestration of the administration, and bringing the criminals to justice, will do that.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Had to look this up:

defrenestration - the throwing of a person or a thing out the window.

I LOVE this word, it is a wonderful word. Can I borrow it MA? Please? I will return it when I am done. Promise.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I dont beleive it. This government couldnt care less what the world, or our own people think

This is the funniest story i read all day.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Defenestrations were the typical means of ousting unwanted regimes in Bohemia. Just go up and visit the King in his castle, throw him out the window, and appoint the new King. All very efficient, and no need to worry about cumbersome fraudulent elections or fake Electoral Colleges.

Prague is pretty as well as having one of the more interesting urban histories, too.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Hmmmm....a leopard never really changes its spots, does it now? Haven't trusted anything they've done or said in quite a while now. Why should that change?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
How is this a political conspiracy story???

Its about the new appointment of undersecretary of public diplomacy! Not a conspiracy at all.

Why was this story buried?

new topics

top topics

join