It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Edmonton facing $565-million lawsuit over COVID-19 mandatory mask bylaw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
A

n Edmonton man is suing the City of Edmonton for $565 million, citing nuisance and a public health hazard created by the temporary mandatory mask bylaw.
In a statement of claim filed in the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench Monday, Glenn Miller argued the new mask law has led to an increase of used masks on city streets and created a “health crisis.”
Miller is calling for city council to rescind the bylaw within 10 days and he will terminate the legal proceedings. Otherwise, he will be seeking $565 million in remediation. Edmomton Journal

That's the gist of the post, you can stop reading now.
The rest is discussion and etcetera about change and stuff.

Anyways.
I doubt this will go very far, and I'm not arguing one way or another here.
It will, however, be interesting to watch the legal scene evolve as more and more people speak out against the incredibly widespread changes being made (and those not being made) in regulation, law and social control. This goes far beyond a simple lawsuit, and we're seeing police reform, the creation of a new political party in the US, and a small libertarian resistance on the west coast of Canada declaring independence from the system.
This is the stuff of true change, not riots and tantrum, but level-geaded legal discourse and responsible peaceful action.

Anyways, this is what my digging tells me about the legality of this and similar claims, and a bit about what limits there are:

1)
Section 7 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms states that “everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.”
2)
The Supreme Court has said that “liberty” protects not only the right to be free from physical imprisonment (except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice) but also “inherently private choices” that go to the “core of what it means to enjoy individual dignity and independence.”
3)
Of course, mandatory masking would not be a violation of liberty or security of the person if the law is “in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.”
There’s no set list of principles of fundamental justice, but two commonly used to challenge laws are the principles against arbitrariness and overbreadth.
4)
Fmr. Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin,case R v. Bedford :
"An arbitrary law is one with “no rational connection” between the purpose of the law and its impacts, while an overbroad law is one “so broad in scope that it includes some conduct that bears no relation to its purpose.” Canadian Constitution Foundation

Interesting... so the lawsuit holds water only if it can prove overbreadth by including points that don't serve the purpose.
Again, that means this particular case likely won't go very far, but it does provide a valuable example for the argument against other issues popping up- such as imprisonment for disobeying an order that has serious contest, and bylaws that limit access to important services.

Here's an American perspective:

1)
US Constitution 1st Ammendment:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
2)
The most significant change to U.S. quarantine laws may have been the federal Public Health Service Act (1944), which clearly established and regulated federal quarantines for the first time. States get their power to enact quarantines from the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which says, “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”
3)
While you may think of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a research agency, federal law does give the CDC some enforcement power. Under 42 U.S. Code § 264 of federal regulations parts 70 and 71, the CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.
4)
In the last decade, talk of quarantines rose again during the Ebola outbreak. The American Civil Liberties Union argued that Ebola quarantines were unconstitutional:
5)
Because the Ebola quarantines of 2014–2015 were not medically necessary, they violated the U.S. Constitution. A quarantine is a form of imprisonment and therefore a very significant incursion on an individual’s freedom. Under the Constitution, quarantines are permitted only when the state has a compelling interest in imposing one and when such interventions are the least restrictive measures available to prevent the spread of disease.
6)
Because the Ebola quarantines were not medically necessary, they did not satisfy those criteria. Furthermore, quarantined individuals are legally entitled to due process of law, including a timely hearing before a judge or other neutral arbiter. Few of the states that imposed quarantines did this. States are also required to quarantine under humane conditions, and not all states did so.HHS.gov

Final thoughts:
The pandemic has shaken up the board and moved around some pieces.
The world is changing.
Some people want to quit playing altogether, some are throwing pieces around and flipping the table.
The wise watch and learn, and make their moves accordingly.
Be the wise, watch and learn, and take action as best you can when you have the ability to do so in the name of what is right.

edit on 2-9-2020 by ADAMandEVIL because: Eta fixes

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Look at all the masks in this picture right in the epicentre of the virus edition.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
He has a much chance at winning, as I do, winning Miss America

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

In case you did not know..
Not everyone looks to obtain money.
In this case , it may be a matter of principle .
Part of things one's parents and teachers should have told one , but didn't .
edit on 9/2/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: vonclod

In case you did not know..
Not everyone looks to obtain money.
In this case , it may be a matter of principle .
Part of things one's parents and teachers should have told one , but didn't .

He's not going to accomplish much either way.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
What he may accomplish is getting people to think for themselves about what is going on and that in itself is worth pursuing, especially if there is already rumbling of dissent among the people of canada.

The lawsuit itself, I agree with you.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

Keep bringing the info AaE.
When our grandchildren ask how we let this tyranny happen : at least we can say we tried.

Another resistance movement, from Vancouver Island :
Citizens issue Stand Down Order to authorities after nullifying and outlawing COVID regulations.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Ia reply to: Nothin
Thanks for mentioning, I was going to include that bit in this post but decided to save my links for a later post.
Something's gotta give, that is the phrase. Whether civil war or reform, change is co eping very quickly. The next big ticket item for distraction and media overwhelm will come soon after the November elections... and it's usually war scares in wintertime.
My bet is China

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I live in Edmonton, and I think this lawsuit is ridiculous. It is a complete waste of taxpayer money. This guy is just a giant baby who can't accept that a pandemic is going on and that we have to take some basic precautions to keep people safe. Even if he somehow thinks that some minor littering is a problem, $565 million? I mean, come on. This is like the lady who sued McDonald's for millions because she spilled her own hot coffee on her lap and was too stupid to know it was hot. (this is why all their cups now say 'caution: hot') Throw this bullcrap lawsuit out of court and fine him for being an idiot and wasting our time.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 11:38 PM
link   

edit on Fri Aug 18 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join