It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus treatment breakthrough: Cheap hydrocortisone steroid drastically cuts deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This has just been announced. Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere.

Good news if this is another tool in the battle against Covid.

The fight against coronavirus has been strengthened after studies have found hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory drug, drastically reduced mortality rate in sickest patients. In light of the findings, the NHS plans to roll out the drug immediately.

Hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory drug, could save one in every 12 patients, according to new research conducted by Imperial College London and the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre. The researchers discovered that patients receiving intensive care who were treated with hydrocortisone for seven days had a 93 percent chance of a better recovery compared to patients who were not treated with the steroid. The benefits of hydrocortisone were announced alongside analysis from seven trials involving three different types of steroids, including dexamethasone which has already been found to reduce mortality and is widely used

www.express.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I wish they had included the actual studies, the Leftists here will immediately discount this as being fake news and will rally everyone against it.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is the greatest discovery in all of medicine. Since according to many Right oriented sites, no one is really dying from COVID but from something else, so what this means is that antibiotics can cure diabetes, parkinsons, heart issues, dementia, etc. and many other deadly diseases. Whoever came up with antibiotics should get the Nobel prize.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
That didn't take long.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

For the record, steroids are not antibiotics..

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I wonder if it helps mitigate the cytokine storm?

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The clip above says it could save 1 in 12.
Not sure how you took it as a claimed miracle cure when the OP clearly stated the numbers.

I can only assume it was your reeeeee response.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I am so confused by this move. Big deal- a steroid. This is prescribed all day long everywhere for a plethora of conditions the world over forever. Why are they acting like this is some big breakthrough? Did they find a way to make it expensive? That has to be it.

Why are they JUST NOW realizing this medication can be beneficial? Seriously, six months of this (no worse than the common) flu and someone finally tried this out? I call BS.

My dad’s doctor gave him a steroid and an antibiotic after he was still having a fever after more than two weeks of covid. He’s just a smart regular doctor, and this was common sense to him and weeks and weeks ago, well before this non-breakthrough was announced.

Do you people who buy into the propaganda about this virus truly not ever wonder what is going on here?

They have dumbed us down by exponential degrees.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Thank you for proving my point about how much they have dumbed you down. Spectacular. A steroid is not an antibiotic. Get a grip.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
This is the greatest discovery in all of medicine. Since according to many Right oriented sites, no one is really dying from COVID but from something else, so what this means is that antibiotics can cure diabetes, parkinsons, heart issues, dementia, etc. and many other deadly diseases. Whoever came up with antibiotics should get the Nobel prize.

What kind of logic were you taught?

Did people magically stop dying from those issues because of covid?

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

This is something that came to light earlier this year. I remember reading about Japanese and Italian doctors using steroids to help. And possibly it's only really useful if a patient is on a respirator.

www.sciencemag.org...

In other news. Steroids jump up in price by a bazillion percent after finding that they can be used to treat covid symptoms.
edit on 2-9-2020 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
This has just been announced. Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere.

Good news if this is another tool in the battle against Covid.

The fight against coronavirus has been strengthened after studies have found hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory drug, drastically reduced mortality rate in sickest patients. In light of the findings, the NHS plans to roll out the drug immediately.

Hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory drug, could save one in every 12 patients, according to new research conducted by Imperial College London and the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre. The researchers discovered that patients receiving intensive care who were treated with hydrocortisone for seven days had a 93 percent chance of a better recovery compared to patients who were not treated with the steroid. The benefits of hydrocortisone were announced alongside analysis from seven trials involving three different types of steroids, including dexamethasone which has already been found to reduce mortality and is widely used

www.express.co.uk...

This is good news, even if not Earth-shattering, and pretty much the kind of development the medical community expected. Six months ago, we didn't know much about the virus except its genetic sequence. The medical community always figured that there would be pharmaceuticals already in the inventory that would have some therapeutic effect. Remdesivir was recognized as an obvious candidate as early as February. After the UK discovered a few months ago that dexamethasone had a positive effect, it was logical to suspect that other steroids would also.

Here's the results of another recent study in which a supercomputer was used to model what the coronavirus does inside the body:

elemental.medium.com...

It suggests that there's another process known as the "Bradykinin process" going on in parallel to the "Cytokine storm" which might have a bigger effect on mortality of COVID-19 patients than Cytokines. There are also pharmaceuticals already in the inventory that will probably treat the Bradykinin process. We're chipping away at COVID-19 and I don't really have any doubt that eventually we'll be able to get it under control. Not necessarily any one silver bullet cure, however.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

It suggests that there's another process known as the "Bradykinin process" going on in parallel to the "Cytokine storm" which might have a bigger effect on mortality of COVID-19 patients than Cytokines. There are also pharmaceuticals already in the inventory that will probably treat the Bradykinin process. We're chipping away at COVID-19 and I don't really have any doubt that eventually we'll be able to get it under control. Not necessarily any one silver bullet cure, however.

This would explain why people that were taking ACE inhibitors were more likely to have a tougher time when infected with COVID 19, no?
ACE inhibitors work by inhibiting bradykinin degradation.

edit on b000000302020-09-02T13:16:47-05:0001America/ChicagoWed, 02 Sep 2020 13:16:47 -0500100000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
I wish they had included the actual studies, the Leftists here will immediately discount this as being fake news and will rally everyone against it.

You have serious issues when you in a thread about possible covid treatment breakthrough slander "leftists".
Get help asap

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I am a democrat, not happy with extreme on either side not discounting it out of hand....lets keep an eye on it and see more info will come out which I will be happy to look at.

this is a CHEAP treatment doesn't that fly in the face of those who are saying "big pharma" only in it for the millions they can make???
don't get me wrong we get charged through the nose for medications here in the usa...and I know they jacked up the price of epi pens ( life saving for someone whose allergy causes them to go into anaphalatic shock and die)

and insuilin got jacked up as well...so I do get that

edit on 2-9-2020 by research100 because: added paragraph

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

Except this has nothing to do with antibiotics. Hydrocortisone is a well-established anti-inflammatory steroid.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have a tube of hydrocortizone cream, am I supposed to eat it or inject it?

I'm joking, of course.

As far as this helping treat Covid, it does sound like common sense. I've suffered from pnuemonia and other times serious sinus infections and Dr. will usually prescribe antibiotics along with a course of steroid to help with inflammation.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Can save 1 out of 12? How is this big?

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   

If they prefer death over life, that's pretty sad.

Though not surprising...

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

I imagine you would think it was huge if, that one out of the twelve,was your parent or child...

Respectfully,
~meathead

top topics

<<   2 >>

join