It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines - US to provide military assistance if China attacks in South China Sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Philippines Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr said Manila would invoke its defence agreement with the US if China attacks its naval vessels in the disputed waters. “If something happens that is beyond incursion but is, in fact, an attack on say a Filipino naval vessel.....means then I call up Washington DC,” he added.

Since 1951, the US and the Philippines have had a Mutual Defence Treaty that commits them to support each other in the event if either is attacked.

The comments by the Philippines Foreign Secretary marks the first time President Rodrigo Duterte administration openly declaring its intention to side with the US against Chinese expansionist agenda.
US to provide military assistance if China attacks in South China Sea: Philippines

To me it looks like countries have been choosing sides. If we are not already in whatever World War it is, it is coming fast.

How will the world divide up? I don't think China will have as many allies as they are counting on.

Who would be with China and against the US? North Korea, Iran, Russia (maybe). Who else?

There is never a good time for war. But China needs to be put in it's place. There will never be a better time than right now.

An augment could be made that giving China an ultimatum now, would save lives in the long run.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

this explains why Duterte suddenly had a change of heart about Trump.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Was there any doubt that the United States wouldn't intervene if the Philippines or its property was attacked by China?

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think there might of been.

Relations with them have not been good for years.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Duerte had to clean house. It is good that he did and the people love him for it. The US will always protect Philippines. Those fine people have been in our Navy and towns for generations. If you don't know ask a pilipino.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

it's going to be very interesting to see what happens between China United States and the Philippines in the next 3 months.

China has a big attitude that screw American they attack us with them it'll be an all-out war.

With the prime Minister of Japan resigning there's really a lot of unstability in this area.

I've mentioned in a few posts recently about a lot of military activity flying over my area and zap the member here has stated that his training exercises yes his training exercises indeed.

but I've been here for many years and these training exercises are much more intense much more intense.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DukeMisterio

Those fine people have been in our Navy and towns for generations. If you don't know ask a pilipino.

I know how close we are with the people of the Philippines.

Duerte was not keen on US help, in fact the opposite, he was ending agreements. Until just recently.

The Philippines has reversed its decision to end an important military agreement with the United States as territorial tensions with China heat up in the South China Sea.

President Rodrigo Duterte had decided to retain the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) "in light of the political and other developments in the region," said Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. in a social media post Tuesday.

The agreement, signed in 1988, gives US military aircraft and vessels free entry into the Philippines and relaxes visa restrictions for US military personnel.
Philippines says it won't end US military access agreement amid South China Sea tensions

edit on 1-9-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

it's going to be very interesting to see what happens between China United States and the Philippines in the next 3 months.

China has a big attitude that screw American they attack us with them it'll be an all-out war.

With the prime Minister of Japan resigning there's really a lot of unstability in this area.

I've mentioned in a few posts recently about a lot of military activity flying over my area and zap the member here has stated that his training exercises yes his training exercises indeed.

but I've been here for many years and these training exercises are much more intense much more intense.

We are getting really buddy buddy with India lately too.

If they don't call them training exercises. They would have to call it a military buildup.

I hope Japan gets a leader that is worthy of the people of Japan.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   

"To me it looks like countries have been choosing sides. If we are not already in whatever World War it is, it is coming fast."

Yep. I totally agree with that. It seems like is getting there fast now. Duterte really flipped on this one.... unless it's a disinformation trap to sabotage our forces there.... But I don't think it's a trap. But what do I know... I thought 2020 was going to be an awesome year.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

originally posted by: musicismagic

We are getting really buddy buddy with India lately too.

If they don't call them training exercises. They would have to call it a military buildup.

I hope Japan gets a leader that is worthy of the people of Japan.

What most Americans don't know is that prime minister Abe is pro-american.

But now the successors that are being tapped for his replacement they've been in politics for over 40 years and every one of them of the 12 that are being selected they have demonstrated verbally that they are anti-American that's right their anti-American they don't want American forces in Japan.

So it's going to be kind of really confusing for president Trump to accept the fact that who's ever accepted out of these 12 candidates that they have very much dislike toward American politics and their dictatorship of being in their country so it's going to be a very strange episode what is going to happen within the next 3 months here in Japan.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I think there is a pretty good chance that whoever is chosen, is given "the security briefing" and changes their mind real fast.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I don't think Japan has a choice, regardless of whether these 12 like the US or not.

I don't ever see peaceful relations between China and Japan so if China come knocking who's gonna come to your aid? From what I understand (my brother lives there too) you have a pretty pathetic military capability.

edit on 192020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If you see talks of reopening the bases or the beefing up in guam I think things could rapidly escalate. I do think that china is tactically nudging lines to see how far they can go before ticking someone off. We have went to bat for our friends in the Phillippines several times and I would suspect a conservative government to honor that friendship and agreement. If I were the Philippines I would be wary because a democrat presidency seems to want to cowtail to China and could result in a free land grab by China like Barak did with Ukraine.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Duerte had to clean house. It is good that he did and the people love him for it.

That's the most statist thing I've heard in a while, and 2020 has set that bar real high.

Agreeing with extrajudicial killings by authoritarian governments. Nice.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

It is very true the Chinese hate the Japanese and Japanese hate the Chinese.

The Chinese don't do not like the Japanese the Japanese do not like the Chinese that is a fact all this b******* about China and Japanese and American companies going to China is ridiculous what most Americans many Americans don't know is that you can only own 42% of a business of a foreign business in China and yet the Chinese can even take that away from the businesses in a heartbeat

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Duerte had to clean house. It is good that he did and the people love him for it.

That's the most statist thing I've heard in a while, and 2020 has set that bar real high.

The people, including my wife love him. He is eliminating corruption at all levels.

If you believe the news, I have a nice bridge to sell you... CHEAP!!!

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

The people, including my wife love him. He is eliminating corruption at all levels.

If you believe the news, I have a nice bridge to sell you... CHEAP!!!

I'm just going off of what I've heard come from his mouth.

You all are welcome to do what you'd like in your country... I just don't want my country having any part in it.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

it is a mixed bag, the law of killing drug dealers was in place prior to duterte. He enforced it and expanded, however, it is important to note that a lot of chinese drug dealers were eliminated this way. as was a lot of drug users.

overall filipinios accept the drug enforcement measures simply because they do not know better. thejr constitution is not ours. corruption is ubiquitious and i know while i was visiting i witnessed straigh up vote buying as well as seeing a incumbant order the excecutiion of a rivals entire campaign bus and buried them

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Who would be with China and against the US? North Korea, Iran, Russia (maybe). Who else?

BLM, Antifa, CNN, MSNBC, the NBA, etc.

Again, I have to ask. Why should we go to war for a government that is actively trying to eliminate our Constitutional rights? Our government doesn't even protect our own cities from rioters, why should we spend our tax money and sacrifice our lives to protect some other country?

According to some members here from other countries, we're all just a bunch of backward, racist, gun-toting rednecks anyway. Let's see how their enlightened gun control and "free" health care deal with a threat from China.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I do see your point of view it is very valid. However, the long term impact of allowing a large nation such as china free reign on smaller nations is sure to be a reenactment of Pearl Harbor and ww2 but with far more death. With momentum of being able to overrun nation after nation do you really think a nation with conquest in mind would stop at the south china sea.

The worlds resources become more scarce by the day and if attacking another country means feeding the average citizen then be damn sure it is worth it.

Personally I believe it will all boil into a show down eventually as a method of population control. To lose 2 billion folks right now would make sharing of resources more feasible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join