It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nvidia Unveils its New RTX 3000 Series GPUs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
a reply to: gortex

JUst buy a playstation 5 and play all the same games for not so much money...and quality.

Master race bud...

never con-soul

edit on 2-9-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: chr0naut

Aside from the inevitability of the hardware, the real step up, technologically, was ray tracing in real time, IMHO.

I can't wait to see what is next.

Next up ?
An affordable mesh processor .
"Threads" will be ancient history .

Current GPU's are array processors (like the old Cray's). They apply an operation or sequence of operations, to all elements in an array.

Could you please explain what you mean in greater depth?

Do you mean a shared 'all-to-all' distributed model of processing?

Umm....
I was speaking of CPUs
I did say processor and not GPU relevant to your "whats next up"
The only thing that still uses the old "ring" architecture .
GPUs are not "threaded"
And , for now , read my post above on Nvidia's rumored "Reflex" coming out possibly in September's driver.

But they do parallel process, of a sort. And there are also moves to combine CPU and GPU into a single device, to remove bus latency.

Neither do parallel processing.
CPUs pass the data along a ring from core to core , whereas GPUs all crunch at the same time on a bus direct to the GPU (for Nvidia it is Cuda cores , I forgot what AMD calls them)

APUs will never match dedicated video adapters for the relative levels .
APU - has to process data , video , memory , PCIe slots , etc.

That is why I run 2 dedicated video cards
1 for video , 1 as a dedicated Physx card.

Wow, sounds like a great rig!

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Sounds like I'm building a new pc in October....

Hmmmmm

RED OKTOBER

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Gothmog

the arm a64fx has crosswire to each core.....

For some reason , I did not see your reply .
Yes it is AMD ARM
Not AMD x86
Doesn't matter , an APU still has to do everything including video .
Now AMD Threadripper's do have an advantage over Ryzen and ARMs

edit on 9/2/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Aside from the inevitability of the hardware, the real step up, technologically, was ray tracing in real time, IMHO.

I can't wait to see what is next.

Next up ?
An affordable mesh processor .
"Threads" will be ancient history .

Current GPU's are array processors (like the old Cray's). They apply an operation or sequence of operations, to all elements in an array.

Could you please explain what you mean in greater depth?

Do you mean a shared 'all-to-all' distributed model of processing?

Umm....
I was speaking of CPUs
I did say processor and not GPU relevant to your "whats next up"
The only thing that still uses the old "ring" architecture .
GPUs are not "threaded"
And , for now , read my post above on Nvidia's rumored "Reflex" coming out possibly in September's driver.

But they do parallel process, of a sort. And there are also moves to combine CPU and GPU into a single device, to remove bus latency.

Neither do parallel processing.
CPUs pass the data along a ring from core to core , whereas GPUs all crunch at the same time on a bus direct to the GPU (for Nvidia it is Cuda cores , I forgot what AMD calls them)

APUs will never match dedicated video adapters for the relative levels .
APU - has to process data , video , memory , PCIe slots , etc.

That is why I run 2 dedicated video cards
1 for video , 1 as a dedicated Physx card.

Wow, sounds like a great rig!

Best thing since I enjoy "future proofing" and update as soon as I can ?
I keep the parts that I replace and turn around and build a fairly decent PC.
Then I donate it to someone.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Cyberpunk 2077 running on GeForce RTX 30 series hardware.

Just a few weeks to wait.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Epic point to make, many of us are waiting for that game but how much time will that swallow out of peoples lives, the other game I was waiting for and it look's to be delayed even further was Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2 (you can turn into mist and travel through vent's count Dracula style haha) though that is not about the graphics as much as Cyberpunk 2077 is (to be fair this video is very disturbing and I wonder if VTMB 2 may have gone just a bit too far - not sure if that is a vampire character or a serial killer they both feature in those games and as they are role playing you can actually be a good vampire and destroy the serial killers, you also while cursed to be an over sized human horse fly don't have to kill anyone in most of them other than enemy vampires and there creatures, in fact killing human's takes humanity point's from you and brings out the vampire hunters as it break's the masquerade).

(it's really VTM 3 not 2 but they forgot about Redemption which is sad, despite being an old Isometric RPG it was arguably one of the best RPGs of all time, play a crusader who falls in love with a nun, get's bitten by a vampire and cursed but still being in love seeks redemption, fights through medieval Prague against a vampire prince, get's buried alive and wakes up sometime in the twentieth century for the second half of the game were he eventually meet's his beloved again and they both find a kind of redemption but that old game will run on a calculator so not relevant to this thread - still if you have never played it I urge you to consider it).
At the moment VTMB is in danger of dropping back to an unknown release date despite pre-payments made by some gamers due to the fact the studio has just fired the writer of the project which is worrying and another senior member of the team (probably no loot boxes or something you know how the games industry has become a sewer these day's - something cyberpunk thankfully will not have as well).
metro.co.uk...

Still I would not let a kid near either of these game's for obvious reason's.

edit on 2-9-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I really liked Vampire the Masquerade , granted it was a flawed masterpiece but also a great RPG no other game at the time had the atmosphere that Vampire had , I have fond memories of Nines Rodriguez and that crazy split personality woman in the nightclub and yeah I attracted the attention of the vampire hunters a couple of times.

Looking forward to Bloodlines 2 and hope it delivers on the promise of the original.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Apparently there is another VTM title called Swansong in development so even if Bloodlines 2 goes south that may still be a great game.

I wonder which will turn out to be the better game.

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It looks like another tampon dispenser like the old first gen g90 chips we tested back when I worked for Nvidia LOL! 3 way SLI g90's with 1100w power supplies on the top of each rack put out so much heat it was crazy.

I'm a recovering tech head so I'm usually a few years behind the top shelf. I mean this box was running a 2gb 960gtx until i discovered RDR2, then I grabbed my stepbro's handmedowns, now I'm gimpin along with a 1050ti with 4gb and more usable ram than the designers of my first Amiga 500 thought was ever possible.

posted on Sep, 17 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I am waiting for a 3060. If the price is right I might pick one up.
Really though, I have a 1080 and it works just fine for everything out there so far.
So I am not in any big hurry to upgrade yet.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join