It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nvidia Unveils its New RTX 3000 Series GPUs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Finally Nvidia have revealed their latest GPU range , the 30 series comes in three flavours , 3070 , 3080 and 3090 but the main takeaway is the £499 3070 is faster than RTX 2080 making it an interesting prospect for gamers wanting maximum quality and performance.

The 3080 is said to be twice as fast as a 2080ti but costs less at $699 with the bonkers 3090 as the knew Titan card retailing at $1500 and carrying 24GB of Nvidia's new G6X memory and it looks UUUggggeee!

Here's the 12 minute launch video.

Think I'll be picking up the 3070 next year unless the yet to be announce 3060 is decent.
edit on 1-9-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have a 2080 Ti which I bought for BF5, great gfx card. Good to see they still are 2x the previous generation.

-MM

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Aside from the inevitability of the hardware, the real step up, technologically, was ray tracing in real time, IMHO.

I can't wait to see what is next.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

And I only just got my hands on a new rig with a 2060 super, still it will give me time to wait for one of these to drop in price or of a more powerful budget card of the 3000 series to launch (if there will be a 3060 that is).

According to what I have heard though this is not false economy as we all know how the current RTX ramp up (and get louder - vacuum cleaner louder and mine is a ROG version - unless of course you have a water cooling set up which I don't - my mistake though I have heard of water cooling being less reliable and the coolers getting gunked up over time).

These new 3000 series are better value in this sense of the word, they are more power efficient and so under clocking them will allow you to run as fast as a 2000 series for a fraction of the power and even leaving them clocked at there set speeds should still be more power friendly.

Still I will also wait to see how the new generation of Radeon's stacks up though I personally have always preferred image quality in Nvidia cards (though oddly I prefer the way Radeon makes the ascii characters in ordinary applications just look nicer or did back when I had a Radeon which is some time ago, quite some time ago now.

Thanks for the heads up, I agree the top of the line 3000 look's ugly but to be fair that is just a reference board and so manufacturers are free to spruce it up as they see fit, that said only one fan is a nice touch especially when most of the 2000 series have two or three fan's.

On the other side of the coin as well RTX 2000 series will come down in price as manufacturers seek to get rid of obsolete stock (not obsolete yet but in most gamers eye's they are) so some bargains will be out there for home builders.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   

gettin a bit silly... you can pretty much buy a whole new cpu with the price of that beast...

and nothing needs anywhere close to 24g of Vram...

It will likely be years before any game will require half of that

Idk... serious price for serious overkill

edit on 1-9-2020 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

On the 3000 series the memory is used for more than just textures and it can of course with the right software in it's Quadro version (Nvidia really charges too much for those since they are just higher quality run's of there gaming cards with a tweaked bios and drivers but still?) the use of that memory will make a lot of sense to power users.

Also imagine how fast it will load all those UHD mod textures you currently have on your modded games, while memory is fairly cheap it is also good news though you are right it is also a gimmick as far as the games users are concerned since 8 or 12 gb is pretty much enough for almost anything we throw at them today.

Expect ATI/AMD (I still call them ATI though they are AMD now of course) to follow suit with large memory on there next generation of cards as well, there is a rumour though that there next gen cards are going to be even more powerful and cheaper than the 3000 series so how long Nvidia hold the crown is anyone's guess.
www.pcgamesn.com...

We may actually end up seeing AMD leap over Nvidia in the GPU market similarly to how they have leaped over Intel in the CPU market.

Another good reason to leave off being an early adopter when these cards become easily available.

(of course AMD's all in one combined CPU/GPU's are also becoming ever more powerful and capable of even running modern games without a separate dedicated graphic's card which has both advantages and disadvantages of course but is still interesting).
edit on 1-9-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

gettin a bit silly... you can pretty much buy a whole new cpu with the price of that beast...

and nothing needs anywhere close to 24g of Vram...

It will likely be years before any game will require half of that

Idk... serious price for serious overkill

1) Who buys PCs ?
2) It's called "future proofing" . (Something I believe in and perform constantly)

edit on 9/1/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Aside from the inevitability of the hardware, the real step up, technologically, was ray tracing in real time, IMHO.

Next up ?
An affordable mesh processor .
"Threads" will be ancient history .

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Soon as Micro Center gets one , I will be there .

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

ATI/AMD is still way behind Nvidia (from a once ATI fan)
CPUs ?
AMD leads the way .

A combination of AMD Threadripper and Nvidia RTX rules the day.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Also , the rumored "Reflex" tech may come out in September's Nvidia drivers.

Nvidia's Reflex

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

You gonna get a 3090?

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

You gonna get a 3090?

Depends on specs.
I do research first.
That's how I got an RTX 2060 that runs with the 2080 for $319
Even has the 2080 chipset.
I like getting "more bang for the buck"

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Next up ?

Current GPU's are array processors (like the old Cray's). They apply an operation or sequence of operations, to all elements in an array.

Could you please explain what you mean in greater depth?

Do you mean a shared 'all-to-all' distributed model of processing?

edit on 1/9/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Next up ?

Current GPU's are array processors (like the old Cray's). They apply an operation or sequence of operations, to all elements in an array.

Umm....
I was speaking of CPUs
I did say processor and not GPU relevant to your "whats next up"
The only thing that still uses the old "ring" architecture .
GPUs are not "threaded"
And , for now , read my post above on Nvidia's rumored "Reflex" coming out possibly in September's driver.

GPUs are more like cell processors with their tiny little processing units

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Next up ?

Umm....
I was speaking of CPUs
GPUs are not "threaded"
And , for now , read my post above on Nvidia's rumored "Reflex" coming out possibly in September's driver.

But they do parallel process, of a sort. And there are also moves to combine CPU and GPU into a single device, to remove bus latency.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Next up ?

Umm....
I was speaking of CPUs
GPUs are not "threaded"

But they do parallel process, of a sort. And there are also moves to combine CPU and GPU into a single device, to remove bus latency.

Neither do parallel processing.
CPUs pass the data along a ring from core to core , whereas GPUs all crunch at the same time on a bus direct to the GPU (for Nvidia it is Cuda cores , I forgot what AMD calls them)

APUs will never match dedicated video adapters for the relative levels .
APU - has to process data , video , memory , PCIe slots , etc.

That is why I run 2 dedicated video cards
1 for video , 1 as a dedicated Physx card.

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Definitely jumping on a 3090. Don't give me that tech talk. Just give me that sweet 144fps Cyberpunk 2077. I want to look down and see Keanu Reeves's reflection raytraced to perfection in my shiny robotic genitals. Welcome to the future fellas.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

JUst buy a playstation 5 and play all the same games for not so much money...and quality.

posted on Sep, 2 2020 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

the arm a64fx has crosswire to each core.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join