It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who to thank.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well once again I am in a position were I need to thank someone and don't know who that is.

I've been working for the same company for years. Started at minimum wage which is only $9 an hour.
In this job it is not possible to climb the ladder or get raises. They do not raise those in my position to higher positions.
So there was never a chance for me to own a home or a car or even to live alone. Base rent in my city is $800 a month.

But today I check my work website and a large message is on the front page. Base rate will be raised to $13 an hour starting aug 31st for all employees!

Finally for the first time in my life I will be able to reach for the american dream.

So , is this going to last? Does anyone have info on minimum wage raising for people that work for general electric? Or is this part of that payroll tax exemption eo and will go away once that ends? Or is this some other temp thing coming from the government that I haven't heard of?

Dare I hope that this is permanent?

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Good for you! That’s almost a 50% pay increase. I hope it stays for you and everyone one else’s sake. Don’t know how anyone could live off of $9 an hour.

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Good for you! That’s almost a 50% pay increase. I hope it stays for you and everyone one else’s sake. Don’t know how anyone could live off of $9 an hour.

By having room mates. Never owning a car and being on the aca for my health insurance. Never going out to eat or to see movies. I had to save for months just to go to a concert once every 3 or 4 years. I share the cost of internet , water, trash, electricity.
That only left me with $70 for my food budget every month.

My head is spinning with all the options that just opened up for me. It's crazy but I'm actually scared to even think about owning a home. Worried this pay raise will just go away. Or the job will change their policies and become super strict and I'll be fired because I missed a period on my paper work.

I do paper work for deliver drivers.

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

We don't know each other and I'm not even sure if we've ever even conversed on here, but I'm genuinely happy for you,

Use your smarts wisely, and take care,

All the best

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: KKLOCO

By having room mates. Never owning a car and being on the aca for my health insurance. Never going out to eat or to see movies. I had to save for months just to go to a concert once every 3 or 4 years. I share the cost of internet , water, trash, electricity.
That only left me with $70 for my food budget every month.

My head is spinning with all the options that just opened up for me. It's crazy but I'm actually scared to even think about owning a home. Worried this pay raise will just go away. Or the job will change their policies and become super strict and I'll be fired because I missed a period on my paper work.

I do paper work for deliver drivers.

Live on $100 now, put the rest away

Best

posted on Sep, 1 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Turns out the raise is only temporary.

A lot of our workers got covid and ended up in the hospitals never to return.
So until the next batch of new workers are trained those of us that are left will get a pay raise.

Once the new people are ready that pay drops back down to $9 an hour.

8(

posted on Sep, 6 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Turns out the raise is only temporary.

A lot of our workers got covid and ended up in the hospitals never to return.
So until the next batch of new workers are trained those of us that are left will get a pay raise.

Once the new people are ready that pay drops back down to $9 an hour.

8(

Keep fighting that good fight,

This changes nothing, you've got this, even if it doesn't feel like it right now,...

...you do, keep going,...

posted on Sep, 6 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that scraedtosleep. Things that we own, end up owning us, in maintenace, replacement, worry etc . So best path in life is one of less resistance. Looking for things that brings you peace and tranquility rather than anxiety. Some people are happy to live in vans so they don't have to pay rent. Putting what little money they earn in their own pockets rather than someone elses. Sometimes need to look outside the box to win.

Best wishes.

top topics

join