It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is temporal immortality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Consider these thoughts by Schopenhauer.

“So everything lingers but a moment, and hastens on to death. The plant and the insect die at the end of summer, the brute and the man after a few years: death reaps unweariedly. Yet notwithstanding this, nay, as if this were not so at all, everything is always there and in its place, just as if everything were imperishable... this is temporal immortality. In consequence of this, notwithstanding thousands of years of death and decay, nothing has been lost, not an atom of matter, still less anything of the inner being, that exhibits itself as nature. Therefore every moment we can cheerfully cry, in spite of time, death and decay, we are still together!”

Does it ring true for you? When we take our ego out of the the equation, the individual personalities we identify as, we see our true selves, we are the other. Or as the Beatles put it. “I am you, and you are me and we are all together”

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

edit on 0000008085288America/Chicago30 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Loving yourself you do the time you are alive.

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

"I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together
See how they run like pigs from a gun
See how they fly
I'm crying"

"I am the walrus
Goo goo g'joob"

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Does it ring true for you? When we take our ego out of the the equation, the individual personalities we identify as, we see our true selves, we are the other.

First off: The quote comes from the book The World as Will and Representation first edition was published in late 1818, A second, two-volume edition appeared in 1844.

The immortality spoken of is immortality of a specie. Since the publication of his book we have discovered the extinction of many species. The Dodo will to exist no longer exists.

When my ego is taken out of the equation by death those humans still living will live regardless of my demise. This I know as a present knowledge.

I am not the other to myself. I am an other to every other other.

Hilaire Belloc, Bad Child's Book of Beasts from 1896:

The Dodo used to walk around,
And take the sun and air.
The sun yet warms his native ground –
The Dodo is not there!

The voice which used to squawk and squeak
Is now for ever dumb –
Yet may you see his bones and beak
All in the Mu-se-um.

edit on 30-8-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

If he was talking about the immortality of a species only, why does he say this?

“nothing has been lost, not an atom of matter, still less anything of the inner being, that exhibits itself as nature.”

He’s talking about what makes up life, we know on the material level, energy can neither be created or destroyed and everything consists of energy basically.
The inner being that exhibits itself as nature certainly isn’t any particular species, he’s talking about the spark of life in general, life goes on, life finds a way.

When the ego dies the individual doesn’t necessarily die with it. The ego is a construct, an elaborate myth.

posted on Aug, 31 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In my own metaphysical theorizing, it seems to make most sense to see reality as existing within an "eternal temporality".

Time is eternal. What a paradox!

When see speak of eternity, we speak of the eternity of change; of motion, of novelty.

And yet the same laws prevail; the same eternal archetypes of symmetry and asymmetry play themselves out.

As you say, we may go, but we are still at one with the overall recycling of being; and the being we are, and live - the aspiring human being - reaches deepest and seeks furthest than the rest of the creations.

new topics

top topics

join