It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social media laws for ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hello, forum users.

There are many unofficial laws for the Internet and social networks in the world, for example these, which, despite their absurdity, almost always work. Soon for 2 years now, I have been at the ATS forum, I communicate with many people. Based on this experience, I want to present you with several such laws, which, in my opinion, are in effect at the ATS forum by 100%. Many, perhaps, recognize themselves in these laws. I was surprised to recognize myself)))

Go!

1. Streisand effect

An attempt to remove an unpleasant fact or photo from the Internet will lead to the fact that this information is widely disseminated.

2. Murphy's Law

If you leave a comment while correcting someone, there will certainly be a mistake in your comment.

3. Cunningham's law

To get the correct answer on the Internet, you need not ask a question, but write the wrong answer yourself. Experts will come in the commentary to correct you.

4. Po law

There is a point at which it is difficult to distinguish extremism from satire on extremism.

5. Armstrong's law

The longer the conversation goes on without mentioning the United States, the more likely it is that the American will suddenly raise the topic of landing on the moon.

6. Topic closure theorem

Smart posts get fewer comments than stupid posts because they leave less room for comments. A truly complete and detailed post takes the discussion to naught.

8. Wadsworth's constant

The first 30% of any video does not contain valuable information.

Have you encountered these laws on the forum?

Thank.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Actually I'm glad we have the internet.
Many many good things are on the internet.
If you're into educating yourself the internet is a world encyclopedia.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

The Internet is just a tool. Like a hammer and an ax, they can build a house, or you can kill a person. You can become smart and kind, or you can become aggressive and stupid. It all depends on how to use this tool.)))

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Actually I'm glad we have the internet.
Many many good things are on the internet.
If you're into educating yourself the internet is a world encyclopedia.

Errrr , no.
Just no.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Have definitely seen 6. Topic closure theorem in action.

I've been frustrated - even appalled - sometimes at how the most inane posts will turn into threads that run on for pages of drivel, but cogent, thoughtful, intelligent ones die after a few comments.

I realized one day, though, that very often a well thought out and thoroughly expressed thesis sometimes leaves little room or need for comment.
edit on 2020 8 29 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I have taken my censorship on ATS like a badge of honour. Hit a nerve real hard. Deny Ignorance. Wish i could spend more points on it.

Not sure about Wadsworth's constant, maybe for some of the longer ones? Armstrong's law is inconsistent with ATS, already plenty of other threads on that. The rest seam to add up.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   
You got the Streisand law wrong.

Its when a comment.produces the most god awful screeching noise known to man.

Also known as the Mariah law.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
You got the Streisand law wrong.

Its when a comment.produces the most god awful screeching noise known to man.

Also known as the Mariah law.

Why do you speak so badly about Babrbara's voice? It's a shame! She has a wonderful voice))))

It takes its name from singer Barbra Streisand, who, in 2003, sued the California Coastal Records Project over pictures an aerial photographer took of her house, claiming the photos violated her privacy. Few knew about the images before the lawsuit (in fact, they'd only been viewed six times—and two of those were her lawyers); now everyone does. She lost the lawsuit.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Smash The CCP with Cyrus A. Parsa & The AI Organization on Friday Night Livestream

This is one example of inconstant Wadsworth's constant. The best stuff is in the first 30%, gets a bit fluffy after that. Similar to looking through a paper, start with the intro and the conclusions before digging into the detail. A 20% intro, 10% exit can help sift through it all a bit quicker if pressed.

top topics

join