It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The wars of ancient Israel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
My favorite teacher- Dr. Michael Heiser- helped me come back to the Lord by explaining that God wasn’t endorsing any particular culture when He chose Israel. He was inserting himself into the culture and changing it slowly from within.

Yes, that was exactly my argument in the series on the laws of Moses. I like the metaphor of God as a teacher, adjusting the lesson to the understanding-level of the pupils. Unfortunately a lot of modern fundamentalism seems to have gone legalistic, so that they cannot treat Bible verses in any other way than as legal texts.
edit on 29-8-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   
someone once suggested there is God's perfect will
and also what was called God's permissive will.

monogamous marriages were God's perfect will. He allowed polygamy but this was not His first choice.

maybe it was His perfect will to remove/destroy ALL the Canaanites; in his permissive will, Israel was allowed to let some stay.
in both cases bad things came out of this. if David had stayed monogamous he never would have fathered Absalom, for instance.

the assault on the Canaanites is called genocide by some and is one of the most troubling portions of the Bible (imho). and it is frequently mentioned by anti-Christian critics. my best response is that these people were trapped in an unending cycle of sin and depravity with no hope of grace so it was best to kill them all rather than let further generations be born just to be doomed.

history shows that these Canaanite leftovers caused no end of problems (Haman the Agagite for example.)
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

You cannot pick and choose what to believe when it comes to Gods words. You either believe it or don't believe it. As Disraeliman says, you have a duality of Choice. One or the other but you can't have it both ways.

God has never told me or you to stone anyone. To think that is to apply scriptures that don't apply to anyone today to us. That is an error

the Mandaeans do not exist today if they do they are an extreme fringe of Judaism.

God said Abraham and Moses were prophets, to say you don't believe they were, well that is it, you don't believe what God says. So who is correct you or God?

edit on 8/29/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   

a reply to: ElGoobero someone once suggested there is God's perfect will
and also what was called God's permissive will.

There are three mentioned in the Bible the good, the acceptable and the perfect will of God

Roms 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
permissive will is not a bible term found in the bible it is a man made construct to ease their conscience for not being in one of the three mentioned above.

Even though men had multiple wives does not mean God permitted or allowed it. To say God permitted or allowed it is to besmirch God's character, for he cannot sin and to permit or allow it would be sin. Every man form Abraham and through the tribes of Israel all had troubles befall them because of multiple wives and that is what happens when you are do not believe the word of God.

Israel disobeyed God's will for the Canaanite tribes and as you noted they had troubles. God even told them up front they would not obey him and told them what would happen because of that unbelief and disobedience.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
And they shall remain a witness against you until you repent of this your wickedness.

Disraeli you drew first blood so don't expect me to apologize if you don't.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
Jesus suggested "hardness of heart" as a reason why men should be so slow to give up the bad customs.

One of the implications of Judges ch1 is that there were just too many Canaanites around for extermination to be a practical possibility. I think God's real preference would have been that the israeiltes should have kep themselves detached in separate communtities, and not got involved in their cultural practices.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Who is correct? Good question but its one I cannot answer. Our minds are limited because it can only operate in dualities. There is no absolute truth in dualities because its all relative to self point of view. I know it sounds mumbo jumbo. But its very simplistic. Whenever we think past or future, our mind is dreaming. The absolute truth does not exist in those dreams.....

Jesus replied, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

However, God gave us a gift. Our very seat of conciousness (the witness) is beyond mind. To focus on Gods witness is key for allowing light to enter our temple. Your dispute with Disraeli exists from the past. You both think its more important to maintain focus on those dualities than to allow light to enter your temple.

You love your dualities moreso than God it would seem.

With love.

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You can answer it if you have Faith in God.

A believer has the mind of Christ. To rely on our fleshy mind we could never understand or be taught by God

1Cor 2:13-16 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

The word of God is not relative to our point of view. It is either God's words and we believe it or it is not the word of God and we don't believe it.

The Seat of Consciousness is not the witness. that is not even Biblical. There is only one witness in us and it is the Holy Ghost/Spirit

Roms 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

The light of the body is the eye: if
therefore thine eye be single, thy
whole body shall be full of light.

Its all I will quote this thread as its drifting off topic.

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

. . . If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

edit on 8/30/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: KansasGirl
My favorite teacher- Dr. Michael Heiser- helped me come back to the Lord by explaining that God wasn’t endorsing any particular culture when He chose Israel. He was inserting himself into the culture and changing it slowly from within.

Yes, that was exactly my argument in the series on the laws of Moses. I like the metaphor of God as a teacher, adjusting the lesson to the understanding-level of the pupils. Unfortunately a lot of modern fundamentalism seems to have gone legalistic, so that they cannot treat Bible verses in any other way than as legal texts.

Unfortunately I agree with you. I have family members who will not even think i about thinking about considering that Genesis 1-3 weren’t meant to be taken literally.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join