It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut up and take your dose of propaganda after all you have paid for it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The Bush administration has spent in the last 4 years a quarter of a BILLION dollars on video news releases and they are presented to you as news. The news channels are not telling you thats what you are watching and it looks like real news. Read this article and interview on the subject, it propaganda that you paid for.

www.democracynow.org.../03/14/152202
The article reports that at least 20 federal agencies - including the Defense Department and the Census Bureau - have distributed hundreds of television news segments in the past four years. Many were then broadcast on local stations without crediting the government as the source of the information.

The article goes on to state that "the administration's efforts to generate positive news coverage have been considerably more pervasive than previously known. At the same time, records and interviews suggest widespread complicity or negligence by television stations." Later the article says that "some reports were produced to support the administration's most cherished policy objectives like regime change in Iraq and Medicare reform...They often feature quote, unquote "interviews" with senior administration officials in which questions are scripted and answers rehearsed. Critics are excluded as are any hints of controversy, waste or mismanagement."

[edit on 15-3-2005 by goose]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well no one has responded but just in case someone actually read the article here is the Bush administration's response.

www.democracynow.org.../03/15/1453250
White House Defends Use of Video News Releases
In news from Washington, the White House is defending its practice of distributing government-funded video news releases to TV stations with the hopes that the stations will air the segments as real news. On Sunday the New York Times featured an extensive front-page investigation detailing the extent that pre-packaged news releases - produced by the federal government - are being used by television stations all across the country. The Times reported that at least 20 federal agencies - including the Defense Department and the Census Bureau - have distributed hundreds of television news segments in the past four years. Many were then broadcast on local stations without crediting the government as the source of the information. On Monday White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan claimed that the videos are appropriate as long as they are a factual. Last month the General Accounting Office however ruled that the videos violate laws that ban covert propaganda. But the Bush administration is ordering all agencies to disregard the GAO's directive.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yeah, we should be deceived by all that expensive propaganda.

People, just shut up and swallow the obvious lies in the media. A few months ago I saw a news report telling us that mercury is actually GOOD for the development of kids! I'll leave it at that...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
One of the things I am finding is that most people don't even respond about the issue of the use of propaganda on US citizens, either they don't understand how their own ideas and beliefs are influenced by this stuff or just don't believe its real. I'm really shocked by how little they all seem to care about this.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I'm really shocked by how little they all seem to care about this.

Why? Most people are too concerned with standing in the unemployment line or puting food on the table for their families or finding a decent kindergarden for their children to take time to question what their 'protective' government is doing for them. It just is not a top priority in most people lives so they accept the mumbling on the tv until a real problem arises, but by that time it is just too late.

Those of us that are paying attention to the russeling of the man behind the curtain should be horrified by what is actually going on. When things change, it is all going to happen in an instant. I can only hope that more people become aware and prepared.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
You are right most people are struggling and just trying to survive, I wonder if that is not part of the plan, keep them so busy they don't have time to notice. My daughter told me that she has a friend who lives overseas and the standard work week there is 4 (7 hour days) and they get 6 weeks of vacation time a year. while we are struggling to do 40+ and barely getting a vacation. They also have free health care and education all the way through college.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I say the bush administration has done a fine well job with the propaganda.

it is better to have the people behind the government. I don't know about you guys...but i don't want to be dealing with a coup.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I like my propaganda. It's one way to learn the tricks of the trade. I pay a high price for that learning.

Then again, I also paid for gravity nukes. And they're just sitting in a warehouse on a military base. I want my money back from those.

And uh, the Bush Administration was a coup. And we are currently dealing with it. So I'm a little lost on that "behind the government" comment. God forbid we had some intelligent military leaders that could see thru the BS. I mean if you really want to build an empire you don't send your forces to get stuck in the desert fighting a ghost enemy. This has eroded the military in more than one way. So well in fact, it's almost as if it was planned.

And no amount of propaganda changes reality. It may change the perceived reality the lemmings have but that's about it.

"Most people prefer to believe their leaders are just and fair even in the face of evidence to the contrary, because once a citizen acknowledges that the government under which they live is lying and corrupt, the citizen has to choose what he or she will do about it. To take action in the face of a corrupt government entails risks of harm to life and loved ones. To choose to do nothing is to surrender one's self-image of standing for principles. Most people do not have the courage to face that choice. Hence, most propaganda is not designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give moral cowards an excuse not to think at all." - Michael Rivero

Allow me to repeat for full effect...

Most propaganda is not designed to fool the critical thinker but only to give moral cowards an excuse not to think at all

top topics

join