It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacob Blake was justifiably shot by police

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Due to others actions placing them and others in danger they have the right make that determination for themselves. There is no perfect answer in hindsight more less in the midst of a volatile situation.

That response was also to a person asking not why they shot him but about the placement and amount of shots.

What I explained was their protocol and the reasoning for it. What risk to yourself would you assume if God forbid someone puts you in that position?

I'm not sure your job, but let me ask this,.. would you take a risk at your job that could simply get you fired, if the only benefit was to the person that put you in that position? We're talking livelihood, not life and death.

If that's what you consider non- hyperbolic we are eons apart.
edit on 8/28/2020 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: RKWWWW

Or, like Hollywood, just punish all the perps until they lay in the street in pieces. Saw that in one of the cop movies last night. Five cops with automatic weapons all firing at the same time into one criminal with a wise cracking comment to make it funny to boot.

But seriously. With all the highly trained LEO's how is it that they are not being trained more strongly in avenues of ''nonlethal'' action. Why is always they were trained to ''shoot to kill''

I hate that this happened, but why didn't he surrender, they did try to taze him. I think he forced the hand.

As far as shoot to kill, I have asked the question too..I think, most policies like that are born out of times where those weren't the policy, and a wounding led to a perp returning fire and likely killing LE..just a guess. It's often how rules like that come into play.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ya, sure man. Im so glad you live in a world where you can blend in to have opinions like these. I was profiled all of my 20s for having long hair and being poor. So whatever your scope is, I can recommend you stay safely there.

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You assume more than the monkey in your profile picture. Maybe why I COULD put faith in the police, is that I had to deliver pizzas (to fat and lazy people like yourself) while gunshots were going off, worried about muggings, homeless people, thugs tapping on my car, ya know, things you will NEVER have to worry about in your life (getting into a fight when im not even bothering people), and I got good at staying safe, believe it or not, and it became the norm; luckily i got out before there was protesting, riots, and people blocking traffic; I was worried about getting robbed, yelled at, and was actually out on the streets, talking to the public DAILY. Can you say that? no, the best tool you can use to seem like you know something on this board is ASSUMPTION. Youre practically blaming me for finding a way to stay alive if you want to know how I think; because get this; to me it was that simple. Who do you trust THEN? whatever keeps you alive. Im glad that you live in a world that allows you to be fat and lazy, as I have not really gotten their yet. Cheers.

Also, I place authority in myself, as that is the only one that I can predictably control.

And granted, sure, it's my fault for having to be a pizza delivery driver despite having supposed advantages in life, and ironically a decent amount of money in my family. But i have never asked for it, nor will I, as there are always religious converting attachments to help or a lesson to be learned.

Honestly this is beyond a simple conflict. Our spectrums of personal relevance are just a bit different; but you were hardly talking to me as a person. Good way to regurgitate the same # over and over and get that 3:1 star ratio though. You ever thought about being a musician? Repeating the same thing over and over actually can make you better at something else too. Thought I'd share.

but as far as society goes. Sure I place a lot of faith in the police. And after all of this is over, I will respect GOOD police even MORE. GRRRRRRRR
What, you think we shouldnt have police?

Honestly I just think you're upset because for some reason, it's like your safety is boring to you.
edit on 28-8-2020 by akiros because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2020 by akiros because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

That's the thing they are also people, with real people emotions. You would like to think they could refrain from acting on such, yet we don't maintain those expectations as standards for everyone.

You get pretty decent benefits, but let's not act like we're paying cops to be heroes and go above and beyond, even though some will. Between affirmative action the amount of cops necessary, due to the amount of crime committed, it would be literally impossible to have the perfect person for the role.

People wont accept law by AI, because it would be consistent and standard and apparently almost noone wants "standards" to be standard for them. Thats what the world is dealing with, the blantant hypocrisy of almost every individual soul on the planet.

I don't understand how people don't see that either, obviously that's not the case everytime. However, the statistical probability is high enough to say it's a factual statement.

In my eyes this not being seen as factual further perpetuates this issue. If you're telling your son or daughter that they're going to get killed whether they do the right thing or not. It insures they will be fearful, thus irrational which lead to the individual looking suspicious and more likely to be harmed. Irrationality breeds irrationality, and as I stated before cops are people and not immune from such behavior.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
a reply to: face23785

It's amazing that the DNC, LeBaron James and the rest of the privileged athletes want to encourage ther anti-American, domestic terrorist, storm troopers to riot over this rapist, felon, POS.

S.

Black Lives didn't matter when Barack Obama was President.

Go figure...

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

In front of my kids, i even still (with them as adults) behave as a paragon of what I want to see from them. Everyone, regardless of badge or not, gets "yes sir" and "no ma'am" as a general blanket courtesy. "Thank you" is said frequently.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Guys, just own it and say exactly what you mean:

Jacob Blake was justifiably shot by police because he is black.

All Lives Matter... except black lives.

Just man up own your racism, we all see through your BS.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigsnowman

You descended into pure stupidity now.

Just admit it, you're such a racist that you cannot fathom how others can face the world without having their own racist viewpoints. Thieves lock their doors afterall.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: bigsnowman

You're racist if the color of someone's skin is not the most important fact in the case.

Yup, that certainly makes sense.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: vonclod

In front of my kids, i even still (with them as adults) behave as a paragon of what I want to see from them. Everyone, regardless of badge or not, gets "yes sir" and "no ma'am" as a general blanket courtesy. "Thank you" is said frequently.

A good way to be, lead by example. I feel for this guys kids, the grandmother seems pretty grounded..I hope she can instil good values. I have no idea if the parents will be able to.
Jacobs parents
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Just admit it, you're such a racist that you cannot fathom how others can face the world without having their own racist viewpoints. Thieves lock their doors afterall.

Sorry, I meant no offense, just seen this movie too many times. The second I heard about the shooting and that the victim was black, I already knew it would be justified in the minds of the right-wingers. Wasn't that long ago conservatives were up in arms about the white dude in Arizona that answered the door with a gun.

Like I said, I've heard this one too many times before. Knew the punchline before the joke was even told.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

You're racist if the color of someone's skin is not the most important fact in the case.

Race exists, and is a much bigger factor than you realize. Not just this case, not just criminal cases, it's a big factor in every aspect of life. Acknowledging that fact isn't racist

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I disagree. And I'm not right wing, nor a lover of the police, not racist either.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: ByteChanger

You mean the part where he looked up for a split second because one of the bystanders was coming up on him and then looked back at Blake?

Damn that lack of tunnel vision and ability to maintain situational awareness

Why did you omit the part where he "fired his weapon while looking away".

That was kinda my point...
edit on 28-8-2020 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Sorry, I meant no offense, just seen this movie too many times. The second I heard about the shooting and that the victim was black, I already knew it would be justified in the minds of the right-wingers. Wasn't that long ago conservatives were up in arms about the white dude in Arizona that answered the door with a gun.

Like I said, I've heard this one too many times before. Knew the punchline before the joke was even told.

Stop using terms like "right wingers". Its merely a dog whistle race term of "whypipo". Instead, look at actual facts. Who cares what some Bubba in Alabama thinks about the shooting? Look at facts, and make your own determination using facts and some reasoned logic.

The dude was justified in getting shot. He reached for a weapon while grappling with police. In what world does that not get you shot?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Extrapolating it to the point of such hyperbole is harmful to the real issues of bias that exist in every man.

It's really simple to me, I would rather noone be harmed in any situation, but if so the only acceptable outcome is for it to be the perpetrator.

Obviously, some situations could be handled better and loss of life is sad, however in this instance the only qualm one should have is with the number of bullets

The cops took the right actions for the unfortunate situation the were placed in. I also understand after you decide to fire you insure the elimination of threat, if the treat is enough to fire your weapon you have decided deadly force is neccesary.

You dont try trick shots and increase the potential for danger to bystanders. You shoot center mass as that's the least likely possibility for richocet or flat out missing.

Its science.... Do you deny science?

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Race exists, and is a much bigger factor than you realize. Not just this case, not just criminal cases, it's a big factor in every aspect of life. Acknowledging that fact isn't racist

Race exists because racists keep it alive.

To normal people, the only thing remarkable about race is the normal stuff we joke about. The differences that unite us. Beyond stand up comedy, its rare that I find anyone who would allow race to be part of our daily lives. I live in a county that is predominantly black in Central Texas. I don't see any real strife beyond strife manufactured for the sake of social media cred.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Extrapolating it to the point of such hyperbole is harmful to the real issues of bias that exist in every man.

It's really simple to me, I would rather noone be harmed in any situation, but if so the only acceptable outcome is for it to be the perpetrator.

Obviously, some situations could be handled better and loss of life is sad, however in this instance the only qualm one should have is with the number of bullets

The cops took the right actions for the unfortunate situation the were placed in. I also understand after you decide to fire you insure the elimination of threat, if the treat is enough to fire your weapon you have decided deadly force is neccesary.

You dont try trick shots and increase the potential for danger to bystanders. You shoot center mass as that's the least likely possibility for richocet or flat out missing.

Its science.... Do you deny science?

I invite you to research police shootings/killings in other first-world countries and tell me what you find. I watched Jeffrey Dahmer being calmly walked out of his apartment in handcuffs. You can't tell me finding a head in the freezer wouldn't make you fear for your life. Dahmer resisted, too. Watched a standoff between police and an armed white man who got so frustrated with how long it was taking he ended up just shooting himself.

"I feared for my life" is such a subjective, copout answer it's sickening. Being a police officer is a hard job, pulling the trigger is an easy solution.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

But we can find example of white folks being killed by cops unnecessarily too. The dude playing video games in his home a couple weeks ago. That dude laying face down in a hotel hallway a couple years ago. There are more.

I can tell you 3 things that reduce police violence, while increase freedom and liberty for everyone:

- Make no knock warrants illegal
- end civil asset forfeiture
- legalise marijuana at the federal level

This is what you need to be talking about. The cops...they are just the pointy end of a stick. Its the stick you need to complaina bout. If you do that...you soon realize the Democrats keep voting in laws that reduce your personal freedom. But your problem is with legislators, not cops.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Race exists because racists keep it alive.

To normal people, the only thing remarkable about race is the normal stuff we joke about. The differences that unite us. Beyond stand up comedy, its rare that I find anyone who would allow race to be part of our daily lives. I live in a county that is predominantly black in Central Texas. I don't see any real strife beyond strife manufactured for the sake of social media cred.

Don't want to draw any conclusions, but if you're white like me, then no, race is hardly ever a part of our lives. However, that's a very privileged way of thinking because, for minorities, race oftentimes plays a major role of daily life. If you believe race has no effect on any aspect of anyone's life in the USA, you must be purposefully ignorant. It's like riding out a major flood on the 5th floor of a building and wondering why the people on the first floor are complaining.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join