It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Report Lists Possibilities for Terrorist Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
In a report accidentally leaked to the public, the Department of Homeland Security has identified what they consider possible attack scenarios. While the document is a general scenario reaction plan, it will be used to justify a more realistic dispersal of funds to prepare for and respond to a potential attack or natural disaster.

www.nytimes.com
WASHINGTON, March 15 - The Department of Homeland Security, trying to focus antiterrorism spending better nationwide, has identified a dozen possible strikes it views as most plausible or devastating, including detonation of a nuclear device in a major city, release of sarin nerve agent in office buildings and a truck bombing of a sports arena.

The document, known simply as the National Planning Scenarios, reads more like a doomsday plan, offering estimates of the probable deaths and economic damage caused by each type of attack.

They include blowing up a chlorine tank, killing 17,500 people and injuring more than 100,000; spreading pneumonic plague in the bathrooms of an airport, sports arena and train station, killing 2,500 and sickening 8,000 worldwide; and infecting cattle with foot-and-mouth disease at several sites, costing hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. Specific locations are not named because the events could unfold in many major metropolitan or rural areas, the document says.

The agency's objective is not to scare the public, officials said, and they have no credible intelligence that such attacks are planned. The department did not intend to release the document publicly, but a draft of it was inadvertently posted on a Hawaii state government Web site.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One of the main complaints in the past has been the way in which DHS has provided funding to the states. In the past they have evenly spread out the monies. Meaning that states like Kansas with less possible targets for a terror attack would receive the same amount of funds as New York. These inequities have permitted states to purchase equipment that they did not need.

The new forward planning model for DHS allows for them to look at possible attack scenarios, and develop responses. Possibly even train for these allowing for planners and first responders to be more prepared should an event happen.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Homeland Insecurity: States Say They Know Little About Threats

[edit on 3/15/2005 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
accidentally leaked to the public

Yeah, ok...I'll believe that never.

The media is called a controlled one for a reason. It would not surprise me at all if this info was leaked to give ideas to the terrorists, if they already havn't. I know, I sound very pessimistic towards my own government, but I am not completely against it. There is still faith in "the people", those individuals who can feel the truth, for what it is. I'm not of the opinion that the whole government is corrupt, just the most important positions of.

Only thing I can't figure out at the moment, is if this is just more ramping up of peoples fears, propaganda. Or ligit and honest leakage by one of those, who still feel the truth.

This article should have a follow up, just so some record is maintained.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   

The agency's objective is not to scare the public

Yeah, sure. We never meant to scare you, just know that they got lots of nukes!! and chemical weapons that will kill hundreds of thousands....

But...no, we never meant to scare you.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well, my personal opinion is that the article was allowed to be leaked in an effort to show that DHS is doing something to become an effective department. There have been many slams on DHS's ability to do more then change the threat rainbow.

Wether Chertoff is going to be an effective leader that can make the changes to transform DHS into a department that can make a difference remains to be seen.

The two aspects of this that I key on are the realistic distribution of cash to the areas that need it most, and the war gaming that now seems to be going on. These are a couple of things that I think they should have been doing all along.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Seems like quite a bit is being 'leaked' recently. Is this a warning of an impending attack? This is where our gov't screwed up, prior to 9/11. Warnings weren't made public.

Makes me wonder if this is all new, or if we're just witnessing a more 'open' forum when it comes to warning of possible attacks against the U.S.?

[edit on 15-3-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a fearfull society is an easily controled society......AMERICANS will read this a go 'oh my god! we need to be protected better. oh govt, please save us..' how many terrorist attacks on American soil have there been since 911?? wow! isn't the govt doing a good job protecting us! we need even more protection now because the threats are so credible. fear, fear, fear......control is the name of the game.........

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Seems like quite a bit is being 'leaked' recently. Is this a warning of an impending attack? This is where our gov't screwed up, prior to 9/11. Warnings weren't made public.

Actually, prior to 9-11 there were warnings made public. The Embassy system was used to warn Americans overseas of the possibility of attacks against US targets. The belief at the time though was that the attacks would not be on American soil, but rather in Europe or the middle east.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Actually, prior to 9-11 there were warnings made public. The Embassy system was used to warn Americans overseas of the possibility of attacks against US targets. The belief at the time though was that the attacks would not be on American soil, but rather in Europe or the middle east.

Thanks for the clarification. It's been so long, and all I hear is ppl complaining that the govt didn't warn the U.S.

SourGrapes

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

okay, now go shopping. gas up SUV. watch TV. who will the next survivor be? okay, 11:00 news.....

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

how about a new pair of shoes, tomorrow? wouldn't that be nice?

i want warnings about terrorists attack warnings so i know when to laugh hysterically at the insane propoganda. BS alert status RED.

edited because we've gone to BLINDANDDEAFCON 5!

[edit on 15-3-2005 by billybob]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
DHS is now saying that the report will be made public. I guess they got a decent response to the test of the waters to admit to it's existance.

www.foxnews.com
Over the last year, the department has drafted its National Planning Scenarios plan that poses the possibility of credible and destructive attacks — including by nerve gas, anthrax, pneumonic plague and truck bomb. The currently confidential report, requested by a presidential directive in December 2003, will be made public in upcoming months, Homeland Security spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said Tuesday.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This report distracts attention away from horrendous problems that already exist in the USA - but are not being handled.

* Mercury poisoning that's causing unborn babies to mutate, ruining Americans' health - and driving up insurance and health care costs.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

* Epidemic CWD in the nation's cattle ranching regions - it's related to 'Mad Cow' and likely jumps back and forth between cattle, elk and deer. But only about 0.0003% of the nation's cattle are actually tested before hitting supermarket shelves. Right.

* The fact that 100 million Americans already are chronically debilitated from being bombarded with industrial contamination, chemical additives in food and other products - and new disease mutations that remain unacknowledged and unregulated.

.......The list could go on for hundreds of pages.

So Pah. Humbug. Just more media manipulation - buries uncomfortable truths - justifies wonky budget priorities that leave ordinary Americans out to hang.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com
Over the last year, the department has drafted its National Planning Scenarios plan that poses the possibility of credible and destructive attacks — including by nerve gas, anthrax, pneumonic plague and truck bomb. The currently confidential report, requested by a presidential directive in December 2003, will be made public in upcoming months, Homeland Security spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said Tuesday.

it's a blueprint. the open conspiracy continues.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Apparently according to Micheal Chertoff, Secreatry of DHS the release of the confidential report was an "accident". Chertoff's comments directly address the often times stated fearmongering that the department is accused of.

abcnews.go.com
"My understanding is this was an error," Chertoff said in an interview with reporters. "… It's not going to deter us from working closely with our state and local partners in fashioning these plans."

"I'm going to mightily resist the temptation to give information out prematurely," Chertoff said.

"What I want to resist is what I sometimes have observed over the years: a temptation to feed the desire for information by putting something out that we are not in a position to speak about definitively," Chertoff said." Our credibility must rest in a sense that when we say something is a fact, we've done everything humanly possible to, in fact, ensure that we are giving the accurate facts out."

So it's official now. It was a mistake.
They did not intend to release the document to the public, yet. I still stick with my suspicions that the doc was leaked to test the waters, and see how receptive the population will be to these scenarios.

I also believe that the release of this doc is meant to influence some of the members in congress to reevaluate the way monies are dispearsed to local agancies.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I also believe that the release of this doc is meant to influence some of the members in congress to reevaluate the way monies are dispearsed to local agancies.

Of course. They're debating the budget. It's all about money - budget allocations. and new legislation.

new topics

top topics

join