It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abuse of Police Power

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

So you would have preferred it if he did reach his gun, turned and started firing on the officers who would have had to return fire...

I haven't heard anything about him having a gun. If he did have a gun in the car and the cops knew that then it's a whole different story. I'd also say it's fair to assume a man with his children isn't about to open fire. As it stands I cannot support the way this suspect was handled. I know it's hard to make the best decision in the moment, especially when kids are involved. They probably just wanted to avoid a car pursuit which would put the kids in more danger. I just find it very hard to condone 7 shots with kids watching, and I wont let my political beliefs obscure my ability to criticize the abuse of power.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Lumenari

I guess you missed the part where you never shoot to "wound".

That's a fair point, if tasers were used and he still resisted arrest I can see why the officer may believed it was justified, but I still believe it was too many shots and I still believe shooting a man in the back is cowardly. If the suspect was coming towards the officer with a knife I would 100% agree with all of you, like I do on most things, but that's not what happened.

So you would have preferred it if he did reach his gun, turned and started firing on the officers who would have had to return fire...

While right behind him in a car is three children...

Would that have been justifiable to you?

Because odds are it would have involved a LOT more bloodshed...

Several days later and still gun. There was a knife, the police found after they shot a dude in the back.

Funny how that works, from he had a knife in his hands to he had a gun, to he had a gun in the car, and finally, several days after the fact - he had a knife in the car - which none of the cops knew about until after he was shot.

CNN FTW for you?

HAVE to squeeze out any single molecule of a possible excuse to keep our cities burning?

It was a convicted felon with an arrest warrant that was defying a restraint order who decided death by cop was going to be the order of the day.

But keep pushing the BLM narrative!!!!

Saint Jacob will be yet another excuse for your comrades to kill people, burn a church down... and get a looted 4K TV!!!

/facepalm

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

That’s quite an assumption. Most criminals aren’t really known for making decisions that normal people make, that’s why they’re criminals.

Like this guy that used his infant as a human shield during a drug buy.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

He Could have had a gun. That’s the point.
edit on 27-8-2020 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2020 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
theres this thing called 'logic'.
you dont seem to have it, i dont know why you don't have it.
you should try to find it.
it will help you stop sounding like a moron on the internet.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I haven't heard anything about him having a gun. If he did have a gun in the car and the cops knew that then it's a whole different story. I'd also say it's fair to assume a man with his children isn't about to open fire. As it stands I cannot support the way this suspect was handled. I know it's hard to make the best decision in the moment, especially when kids are involved. They probably just wanted to avoid a car pursuit which would put the kids in more danger. I just find it very hard to condone 7 shots with kids watching, and I wont let my political beliefs obscure my ability to criticize the abuse of power.

I would like to start by saying that I really enjoy your Original Posts.

They are articulate, well thought out and provide a good starting point to a debate on the subject you chose.

HOWEVER.

Abuse of power, you say?

The Post has maintained an extremely accurate account of people shot and killed by America’s police, dating back to 2015, and according to their reporting, last year in 2018, 995 people were shot and killed by police, the lowest number since 2015 when they began collecting and reporting this data publicly.

So, here’s the 2018 breakdown of the 995 people shot and killed by the police.

403 were white, 210 were black, 148 were Hispanic, 38 were classified as other, and 199 were classified as unknown.

Out of that 995, 47 were unarmed — 23 were white, 17 were black, 5 were Hispanic, and 2 were unknown.

Out of the 30-50 million interactions that the police had with the American public last year, 10 million people were arrested, and less than 0.01 percent were shot and killed by the police. Out of those 10 million people arrested, 47 of those shot and killed were unarmed, which equates to 0.00047 percent, 17 of which were black.

Remarkably, for the race baiting, cop hating, left-wing propagandists that promote the social theory that all police officers are relentlessly targeting and gunning down unarmed people of color, these statistics prove those claims could not be farther from the truth. The reality is that out of the 10,000,000 arrests made last year in the U.S., 17 black people shot and killed by the police were unarmed, which equates to 0.00017 percent.

NewsMax Article

To put that into rather blunt terms, 17 black unarmed people were killed in the USA in 2018 by police.

8 of which were black suspects shot by a white cop.

The number has been going DOWN since 2015.

Doctors in America accidentally killed 120,000 people in 2018.

So why are we not burning down Doctor's offices?

I think your mind is a little clouded on the issue.

But we can certainly agree to disagree.

This being America and we are still allowed to do that, after all.

edit on 27-8-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

He Could have had a gun. That’s the point.

Assuming every suspect could have a gun and therefore it's ok to fire 7 bullets in their back is not a very smart approach to policing. There is a reason police need to confirm whether or not a suspect is armed, and yes this suspect was apparently armed with a knife but he wasn't moving towards the officers and posed no immediate threat. That's what I can't really grasp when I watch the video, all I can figure is they didn't want the suspect escaping under any circumstances.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is just the beginning with white nationalist increasingly joining law enforcement. Glad I'm not a minority!!

www.justsecurity.org...

www.brennancenter.org...

www.theguardian.com...

You haven't seen nothing yet....boogaloo, it will be open season after the elections....
edit on 27-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If this guy was black, a city would burn.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

That's a fair point, if tasers were used and he still resisted arrest I can see why the officer may believed it was justified, but I still believe it was too many shots and I still believe shooting a man in the back is cowardly. If the suspect was coming towards the officer with a knife I would 100% agree with all of you, like I do on most things, but that's not what happened.

Several days later and still gun. There was a knife, the police found after they shot a dude in the back.

Funny how that works, from he had a knife in his hands to he had a gun, to he had a gun in the car, and finally, several days after the fact - he had a knife in the car - which none of the cops knew about until after he was shot.

CNN FTW for you?

HAVE to squeeze out any single molecule of a possible excuse to keep our cities burning?

It was a convicted felon with an arrest warrant that was defying a restraint order who decided death by cop was going to be the order of the day.

Saint Jacob will be yet another excuse for your comrades to kill people, burn a church down... and get a looted 4K TV!!!

/facepalm

Who dafuq mentioned cnn? Damn you stupid.

Thats why you fell for the bs

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   

HOWEVER.

Abuser of power, you say?

I'm not saying it's a widespread thing or that it's fueled by racism, I'm saying there are some situations where police do abuse their power. I'm also talking about an abuse of power in terms of this lockdown, there are clearly some cops on a power trip and the core point I was making is that there's a limit to what people will take and why it's dangerous to remain loyal to the fearmongering leftist leaders who don't really care about cops and are leading them down a path of destruction.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
If this guy was black, a city would burn.
www.youtube.com...

Yeah obviously White Lives Don’t Matter to the looting terrorists BLM.
I will say it again and again.........

DON’T BE A #ING CRIMINAL OR ENGAGE IN CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES.
IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Aside from this case, there are simply too many unnecessary deaths by police in the U.S.

They are too militarized.

Minority skin tones bear the brunt of the assault, but majority folks are not exempt.

I'm not sure of the answer as some peace keeping force is mandatory in a large population, but our models have been broken for a long time and the recent military surplus, untouchable status and us vs them stance has made policing far worse.

As far as the politics being used to divide the populace, the extremes are horrid on both sides.

Jackboots on the neck is never a desirable model, imo.

Highly trained community peace keepers might be something to consider... with an emphasis on harm reduction.

For profit prisons, quotas, confiscation of private property and bad laws that impinge on civil liberties and adult life choices should be flushed, too.

No no no , the problem is they are not Militarized enough . If police officers were held to the same standards as Military personal , we would not have all the out of shape little trigger happy scared introverts as police officers.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

What’s a combat commander? I’m curious

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

CNN FTW for you?

/facepalm

Because you are merely parroting what CNN is reporting.

Did you even know that?

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

CNN FTW for you?

/facepalm

Did you even know that?

Oh, so its was CNN and not the various posts on ATS ( ya know, people like you - even the very post I replied)

That said:

"He had a knife. Oh wait no, he had a gun, oh wait no, he had a gun in the car, he was going to get the gun".

"Huuurr durrr CNN" - its comical that you people repeat the same # almost verbatim, sad that a whole ass adult can't recongnize the irony.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   

HOWEVER.

Abuser of power, you say?

I'm not saying it's a widespread thing or that it's fueled by racism, I'm saying there are some situations where police do abuse their power. I'm also talking about an abuse of power in terms of this lockdown, there are clearly some cops on a power trip and the core point I was making is that there's a limit to what people will take and why it's dangerous to remain loyal to the fearmongering leftist leaders who don't really care about cops and are leading them down a path of destruction.

You have a point however...

How many people have you had to shoot?

Ever been in the situation?

Some of these cops are just being used to support an agenda.

This situation I feel is one of them.

Having actually shot people before and having watched the actual entire video, I don't think I would have reacted differently.

The situation needed to de-escalate QUICKLY by use of force or others would have been harmed as well.

And there were children there... directly behind a probable target.

It is easy to second guess a situation later if you were not an actual part of it.

It is much harder to be a part of it and have to second-guess your own actions later.

~shrugs~

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

CNN FTW for you?

/facepalm

Did you even know that?

Oh, so its was CNN and not the various posts on ATS ( ya know, people like you - even the very post I replied)

That said:

"He had a knife. Oh wait no, he had a gun, oh wait no, he had a gun in the car, he was going to get the gun".

"Huuurr durrr CNN" - its comical that you people repeat the same # almost verbatim, sad that a whole ass adult can't recongnize the irony.

I'm sorry... I didn't realize you were still attempting to keep up.

In case you missed what happened to you on this thread...

And have a wonderful night!!!

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

"Quick, let me find a random youtube video to attempt to obfuscate the fact my dumb ass fell for lie....again "

Like I said, dumb as #
edit on 27-8-2020 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Doesn't matter whether or not he had a weapon. He resisted arrest and then reached into the vehicle. The fact that there was a knife on the floor of the vehicle only helps justify the shooting. Maybe he shouldn't have showed up at his ex's place to cause trouble. Maybe he shouldn't have resisted arrest. And the big one, maybe he should have listened to the guys with the guns. Seems he made a series of very bad decisions and now has to deal with the results of those decisions.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join