It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abuse of Police Power

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I've written several threads defending the police since these riots began because I feel it's very dangerous to allow law and order to be undermined and defunded, especially when its for political reasons. However after watching some videos of police around the world abusing their authority during this pandemic I feel it's necessary to provide some counterbalance to my position. It's hard to watch police harass an elderly person sitting alone in a park and it's even harder to watch them physically attack people for not following some of these stupid dystopian rules. Ironically it's that abuse of power the left seems to love.

It's really no wonder at all that police moral is at an all time low when the left is painting all police as racist jackboots and the right is mostly against the heavy handed tactics being used to enforce lockdown rules. Even though many right wingers and center-right people such as myself strongly disapprove of the heavy handed tactics, we still try to defend the police because we want to end the riots and bring back some form of normality. I've written 3 separate threads explaining why I'm strongly against the destructive riots but I've not written a single rant about police abusing their authority during the lockdown.

Just when I thought things were beginning to calm down a little bit we have another cop shoot a black man in the back 7 times right in front of his children. Now I could see how the incident with George was probably an accident because police often used that pinning tactic to restrain suspects and I highly doubt the officer intended to kill George. However I see very little justification for how Jacob Blake was killed, it seems to me like the officer was intentionally acting out of anger or malice. Even if Jacob did have a knife, his back was turned and there was no reason to fire 7 shots, one in the leg to prevent him escaping is sufficient.

Now here's the really important point I want to make, there are always going to be bad police who do bad things, that doesn't immediately give us a free pass to burn down buildings and steal anything we want. In the past police were far more corrupt than they are now but people still understood the importance of law and order so they worked to slowly expel that corruption. What annoys me most is how people completely neglect to acknowledge all the progress we've made in the last few decades, acting like we're still in the 1950's. They have it so good that all it takes is for one isolated event every few months to trigger emotional outrage.

For others it's just an excuse to get away with robbery but one thing is clear, left wing leaders are giving a pass to the rioters and encouraging hatred of police, but they also believe the police will continue enforcing their heavy handed lockdown rules. It has now been made very clear to the police just how untrustworthy and unreliable the left is, which is why the NYC Police Union endorsed Trump. Police across the world should take an important lesson from this, leftist leaders love authority when it works for them, but you are nothing more than useful pawns who can be sacrificed and dismantled at any moment in their view.
edit on 27/8/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

All some people need to kill is a pinhole sized loophole.

To many here, the end justifies the means. Even if there are literally an infinite number of ways to take a person down.

Some people just need there to be just a sliver of an excuse to kill and or justify it.

No, not all cops are corrupted power hungry on steroids out on patrol waiting for that loophole.

Yes, the left wing media exacerbates the most minute and insignificant scenarios.

Point is, if the police can’t deescalate a situation, neither can the msm, in fact they make an event a lot worse than needed and ultimately bring out the ugliness in everyone; especially in those (on here) who only want just a sliver of an opening that justifies killing. It’s how they show how tough they are, saying if it were them they would put 10 bullets instead of 7

Imagine 50 years down the line, all that will be different is technology. Some American citizens will still only desire just a small opening to be able to unload.

The gun culture in this country will be its demise from within; no wonder some pay hundreds of thousands just to go to Africa and kill big game. Their gun thirst that can only be quenched by a the sound of a body dropping to the tunes of a gunshot, hence volunteer vigilantes

Good luck America

edit on 27-8-2020 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
3rd Degree sexual assault of a minor
Restraining order at residence
Previous history of violence with weapons.
Call was placed as dispatch has been released to deal with said individual.

Refuses to listen to police
They try to detain he wrestles free
Was tased yet continued on

Refuses to listen to the women in video whom you can assume is related or a baby momma
Refuse to listen to police with guns drawn following him.
Refuses to not enter vehicle, does, so reaches for something.

Gets SHOT!!!

Explain to me how many more chances this POS criminal needed?!?! When does this jack asses own personal accountability come into question.

At what point should a police officer protect themselves? Does he need to stab or shoot an officer before they are allowed to use force? Since it was as reported today a knife which he dropped on floor board after being shot.

At what point is he held responsible for endangering his own children, when will any of you assclowns defending this POS criminal understand we are all accountable for our actions. The idiocy of this POS is what got him shot, his inability to follow orders got him shot, his fighting the police got him shot, his going to vehicle to retrieve what he was getting got him shot.

Do you know what didn’t get him shot, THE COLOR OF HIS F**KING SKIN!!!

If you can’t understand the chain of events that led to the POS getting shot then maybe remove your blinders pull out your dictionary and thesaurus and do a lil study on what personal accountability means because your clearly lost if your defending a piece of shiat criminal who’s actions are the only thing responsible for his predicament.

SaneThinking

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Did Mr. Blake die? last I heard he is paralyzed.

He had a knife and was resisting felony arrest.

After the tazer failed to stop him and he continued resisting arrest to the point of going into his car where he told officers he had a gun, what would you have the officers do?

Give him a hug and kisses?

Maybe let him hop in his car and drive off?

I would have shot him the second the tazer failed and he continued to resist arrest. The fact that the officer waited until he opened the door and reached into the vehicle shows great restraint in my opinion.

If you dont want to get beat shot or tazed by the police obey their lawful commands, you will live to have your day in court.

There is nothing to be gained from disobeying a legal command from law enforcement let alone resisting arrest.

The fact that anyone can claim he is a victim of anything other than his own stupidity Is mind numbing to me.

He got what he deserved and even his own family can't figure out why people are making him out to be some hero.

Only criminals glorify criminals. All this rioting and looting burning and shooting for what? Some violent rapist who resisted arrest with a deadly weapon and got shot in the process?

This isn't about race it is about any excuse that can be made to justify armed insurrection.

I hope BLM and antifa get what they want. I hope they disband the police in every Democrat controlled district nationwide.

I'm sure it will work great as the dnc 2024 elections platform. Police free sanctuary cities with manditory Rona lockdowns, face masks, and mandatory vaccines coming soon.

Who wouldn't vote for that?

edit on 27-8-2020 by Stevenmonet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SaneThinking

I still don't think 7 shots to the back can be justified regardless of his criminal history.

a reply to: Stevenmonet

Did Mr. Blake die? last I heard he is paralyzed.

Good point, I jumped the gun, if he's still alive than that makes the rioting even less warranted.

Maybe let him hop in his car and drive off?

Like I said a bullet or two in the leg should be enough, excessive force was clearly used despite children being present. I will defend police when it makes sense but I cannot see why 7 shots in the back were necessary.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Everything's excessive now in every direction.

I don't have any opinions right now. Im still trying to reconcile my insanity after I got so pissed earlier today.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Aside from this case, there are simply too many unnecessary deaths by police in the U.S.

They are too militarized.

Minority skin tones bear the brunt of the assault, but majority folks are not exempt.

I'm not sure of the answer as some peace keeping force is mandatory in a large population, but our models have been broken for a long time and the recent military surplus, untouchable status and us vs them stance has made policing far worse.

As far as the politics being used to divide the populace, the extremes are horrid on both sides.

Jackboots on the neck is never a desirable model, imo.

Highly trained community peace keepers might be something to consider... with an emphasis on harm reduction.

For profit prisons, quotas, confiscation of private property and bad laws that impinge on civil liberties and adult life choices should be flushed, too.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Lethal force is lethal force. Shooting to wound flies directly against Graham v. Connor.

I will defend police when it makes sense but I cannot see why 7 shots in the back were necessary.

People like you keep saying “in the back” as if fleeing felons usually run backwards or as if turning your back to police is somehow a free pass to go about your business.

Just curious: how many shots would be justified?

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

For the third time, a bullet to the leg should've been enough. I simply see it as a cowardly move to shoot a man in the back regardless of who the man is, especially if his children are right there watching. I understand the fact they didn't want him driving away but 7 shots is totally unnecessary, the guy wasn't posing any obvious threat and I'm sure they could have let him drive home and then tactically arrest him at his house to avoid putting children in the line of fire. A cop should never fire upon a suspect unless the suspect is posing an immediate threat to the officers life imo, if you can't do that then you shouldn't do the job.
edit on 27/8/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I can see by the star distribution that my opinion on this matter is very unpopular but I have to stand by what I said and stand by my principles. I also feel like a lot of right wing members are missing my underlying point here and choosing only to focus on the fact I think excessive force was used. That is really not the main point I was trying to make.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Shamrock6

For the third time, a bullet to the leg should've been enough. I simply see it as a cowardly move to shoot a man in the back regardless of who the man is, especially if his children are right their watching. I understand the fact they didn't want him driving away but 7 shots is totally unnecessary, the guy wasn't posing any obvious threat and I'm sure they could have let him drive home and then arrest him at his house to avoid putting children in the line of fire. A cop should never fire upon a suspect unless the suspect is posing an immediate threat to the officers life imo, if you can't do that then you shouldn't do the job.

I guess you missed the part where you never shoot to "wound".

Which would be the absolutely stupidest thing you could ever do in any situation whatsoever involving firing a weapon at someone.

As for posing an immediate threat, should the officers have waited until he drew a weapon?

No...

They did their job.

Period.

That you don't understand that we live in a country where more deaths occurred last year by faulty appliances then occurred from a police stop is concerning.

But here the narrative is...

edit on 27-8-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

For the third time, a bullet to the leg should've been enough.

Ah, good point. Lots of scientific data out there supporting the stance that one round to the leg is always enough to incapacitate a person’s hands and end a situation. Good call.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm a combat commander....all the police there and no one could secure the drivers door before the perp got back to it.....the copper chasing him by himself.....ughhh...could have thrown his body into the open front door and pinched the perp hard

they were standin around as usual.....no one has ever played football to know how to body block him....i think that's smart...yah
edit on 27-8-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Did you happen to miss the reported knife he dropped on the floor board after being shot. This man posed a threat, the officer took action too eliminate that threat. If anything this criminals actions warranted action, he chose the path to take his lack of accountability for his actions led to his almost demise. He should be grateful to be alive as most who possess weapons against the police do not.

Just odd how in all instances lately where criminals perish or are shot the narrative is highly guarded and hidden from plain sight. As if all the facts would negate all the fuel poured on the fire. 🤔

SaneThinking
edit on 27-8-2020 by SaneThinking because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

That's a fair point, if tasers were used and he still resisted arrest I can see why the officer may believed it was justified, but I still believe it was too many shots and I still believe shooting a man in the back is cowardly. If the suspect was coming towards the officer with a knife I would 100% agree with all of you, like I do on most things, but that's not what happened.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

That's a fair point, if tasers were used and he still resisted arrest I can see why the officer may believed it was justified, but I still believe it was too many shots and I still believe shooting a man in the back is cowardly. If the suspect was coming towards the officer with a knife I would 100% agree with all of you, like I do on most things, but that's not what happened.

So you would have preferred it if he did reach his gun, turned and started firing on the officers who would have had to return fire...

While right behind him in a car is three children...

Would that have been justifiable to you?

Because odds are it would have involved a LOT more bloodshed...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

You've gone full retard.

Yeah, the gun culture is out looting, rioting, burning and murdering innocent people, normalizing pedophilia...

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The bad apples in law enforcement are a drop in the bucket compared to good cops..

And punishment should obviously be handed out on an individual basis.
edit on 27-8-2020 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

So you would have preferred it if he did reach his gun, turned and started firing on the officers who would have had to return fire...

While right behind him in a car is three children...

Would that have been justifiable to you?

Because odds are it would have involved a LOT more bloodshed...

Several days later and still gun. There was a knife, the police found after they shot a dude in the back.

Funny how that works, from he had a knife in his hands to he had a gun, to he had a gun in the car, and finally, several days after the fact - he had a knife in the car - which none of the cops knew about until after he was shot.

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You lost me at

“However I see very little justification for how Jacob Blake was killed“

ETA Doyou know who could fix this?
Jacob Blake.
He’s not dead. he could talk. He could come out and say, I was wrong I fought with the police. I didn’t obey them when they gave me orders .I had a knife. Blah blah blah

Bet he won’t. Hope I’m wrong
edit on 27-8-2020 by Aallanon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join