It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German university offering grants to people who want to do absolutely nothing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

If that US Military Complex you hate so much didn't spend millions of dollars a year to maintain a presence in Germany, they would have become a Russian annex a long time ago.

The point you missed completely is that you have one of the most expensive health systems in the world, revolving doors between FDA and big Pharma execs, same with Pentagon procurement revolving doors, people starving in the US streets and yet 3000 Euros for a study triggered the OP.

And BTW western Europe would assist Germany - the Cold War has been long gone.

It must be hard to pretend that Bidens enrichment in the Ukraine is a non-story.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: dug88

Came across this and thought I'd share. Universities seem to be not much more than daycares for spoiled adult children these days so why not just take it to the next level or I guess that'a what this German university must be thinking.

This idea that the goal for humanity should be to strive to do nothing while the government gives you your monthly stipend is appalling in so many levels.

Totally disagree with that, it's a myth that everyone who doesn't work is idle, and the results of this study will be interesting to examine in seeing what people are doing with their time.

Additionally, it gives people an avenue to explore things they may actually enjoy doing and be good at, without having financial worry

Oh my God...where to begin?....

"it's a myth that everyone who doesn't work is idle, and the results of this study will be interesting to examine in seeing what people are doing with their time."

We ALREADY have GENERATIONS worth of data on this ALREADY, since the 1960s, GENERATIONS of people on welfare doing nothing....and the result is.....worse than nothing:
- high crime
- destroyed neighborhoods
- high drug use
- destruction of the nuclear family structure, with all the DOCUMENTED ills that follow....

How can anyone be so ignorant ?

ATS- DENY IGNORANCE

Calm your knickers Mary, I did say:

it's a myth that everyone who doesn't work is idle

And if you honestly believe that the entire blame falls on those "doing nothing" for the following:

- high crime
- destroyed neighborhoods
- high drug use
- destruction of the nuclear family structure, with all the DOCUMENTED ills that follow....

Then I guess they're not as idle as you make them out to be, do you not think there might be deeper, underlying issues at play here?

How can anyone be so ignorant ?

ATS- DENY IGNORANCE

Indeed

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Came across this and thought I'd share. Universities seem to be not much more than daycares for spoiled adult children these days so why not just take it to the next level or I guess that'a what this German university must be thinking.

This idea that the goal for humanity should be to strive to do nothing while the government gives you your monthly stipend is appalling in so many levels.

Totally disagree with that, it's a myth that everyone who doesn't work is idle, and the results of this study will be interesting to examine in seeing what people are doing with their time.

Additionally, it gives people an avenue to explore things they may actually enjoy doing and be good at, without having financial worry

You should sign up I think it would be right up your alley.

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

You should sign up I think it would be right up your alley.

No need, I'm working toward an honors degree

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
What about people on welfare who have a genuine mental illness?
Are they bone idle lazy people too?

If they have a genuine mental illness they are not on Welfare.

They are on SS Disability.

Fair enough, not the same as here in the UK then.

(post by M5xaz removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
So you think its easy doing absultly NOTHING do you . lol

Turn off the TV the phone the xbox the lights draw the curtains and just sit do nothing have someone bring you food oatmeal - water now just sit see how long before you go stark raving mad lol .

NO one here would lats one day lol .

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Came across this and thought I'd share. Universities seem to be not much more than daycares for spoiled adult children these days so why not just take it to the next level or I guess that'a what this German university must be thinking. In a new test project, this university will be offering 'idleness' grants, ie. Giving people money to be as useless as possible.

You find this strange? Well, then brace yourself, because...

the club, who is also offering this project, has, since 2014, paid out so far 669 (sixhundredsixtynine) one-year grants of each 1000€/monthly (ca. 1200 USD). This is being financed by private sponsors, a crowdfunding so-to-say, and whenever they will have another 12.000 amounted, they give out another grant. :-)

They also are running this project, involving 120 people who will get, for 3 years, monthly 1200€ (ca. 1450 USD):

In both projects, the condition is not to do NOTHING - rather, the participants have to answer regular questionnaires, because the aim of the study is to find out, what people WILL do when their basic needs for living are satisfied (by the grant). The project wants to know whether they will eg. quit their job, do nothing at all, do probono work, will engage more in cultural activities, and so on.

This seem to me interesting projects (other are running in other European countries, BTW) - and the results may well contribute to the discussion of how people will work and live in the future.

Just consider this: We do not live anymore i the last centuries where people had to sell themselves, that is the physical work of their bodies to manufacture goods - many of this manufaturing is done by robots today, who do no get ill, who do not require holidays and who work 24h/day. Why is it so far-fetched that mankind concentrate on things that cannot be done (yet) by machines, even work that is important for the society, but not or very low paid - and will get, just for their bare existance and with doing anything, a minimum pay (depending on the country they live in) no matter what?

I do not want to dive here into the discussion - just give some food for thoughts...
edit on 28-8-2020 by carport because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2020 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Germany must be doing something right.
Germany comes in at No 5 in the top 10.
Your USA not mentioned.
Best Countries To Live In:
worldpopulationreview.com...
3 scholarships given, the sky is falling.
How many trillions have been given to the US MIC to keep you compliant?

If that US Military Complex you hate so much didn't spend millions of dollars a year to maintain a presence in Germany, they would have become a Russian annex a long time ago.

I'll be nice and not go into the history of Germany and the whole Hitler thing.

Yeah, and if the Germans, or the Irish, or the Italians, or ... hadn't come to the US, someone named Sitting Bull or similar would still today roam the prairies? What about some on-topic arguments from today's world?

posted on Aug, 29 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
What about people on welfare who have a genuine mental illness?
Are they bone idle lazy people too?

Im sure we're not talking about legit needs.

We are only human. We generalize everything. Dont assume we're evil. That shouldn't be your go to. Only government think that way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join