It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ingredient in insect repellent can kill Covid-19, MoD study finds

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

That is the whole premise of the OP, that a preliminary study suggests it may be an effective treatment.

I'm quite aware of the premise, thank you very much. But the article linked by the OP does not say that. This is what the article says:

It found that one minute liquid suspension tests indicated that Mosi-guard Natural has anti-viral activity against Covid-19 if mixed with the virus, and said that viral studies on latex synthetic skin indicated that Mosi-guard Natural also had antiviral activity against the virus.

Here is what another article says:

Citriodiol is known to kill types of coronaviruses and the defence secretary described it as one of the enhanced Force Health Protection Measures.

In the letter Mr Wallace explains the reasoning behind using the chemical: "Weaker Citriodiol spray solutions form a barrier on the skin and have been found to provide a barrier against variants of the SARS virus similar to that causing the current pandemic.
www.mirror.co.uk...

Nothing about use as a treatment. Only about use as a disinfectant. It seems that the OP, you, and Trump are confused about what a disinfectant is used for.

edit on 8/26/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

That is the whole premise of the OP, that a preliminary study suggests it may be an effective treatment.

I'm quite aware of the premise, thank you very much. But the article linked by the OP does not say that. This is what the article says:

It found that one minute liquid suspension tests indicated that Mosi-guard Natural has anti-viral activity against Covid-19 if mixed with the virus, and said that viral studies on latex synthetic skin indicated that Mosi-guard Natural also had antiviral activity against the virus.

Here is what another article says:

Citriodiol is known to kill types of coronaviruses and the defence secretary described it as one of the enhanced Force Health Protection Measures.

In the letter Mr Wallace explains the reasoning behind using the chemical: "Weaker Citriodiol spray solutions form a barrier on the skin and have been found to provide a barrier against variants of the SARS virus similar to that causing the current pandemic.
www.mirror.co.uk...

Nothing about use as a treatment. Only about use as a disinfectant. It seems that the OP, you, and Trump are confused about what a disinfectant is used for.

Perhaps I struggle to truly comprehend the language I have spoken all my life but if citriodol aka Eucalytpus oil is known to kill corona viruses would that not be considered a treatment ?

If not, please enlighten me as to what a treatment is.

P.S your little lemonade fruit drink is for sissy's....is beer too bitter?

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

If not, please enlighten me as to what a treatment is.

med·i·cal treat·ment
treatment of disease by hygienic and pharmacologic remedies, as distinguished from invasive surgical procedures.
medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Use of disinfectants is a preventative, Not a treatment. Or did you have something else in mind when you said this:

Doesn't surprise me that there is a potential cure right under our nose here in Australia being ignored while we suffer a dictatorship.

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ok you got me I used the word cure instead of treatment earlier, heavens forbid.

If citriodol kills corona viruses as stated in the very excerpt you provided then it could absolutely be classified as a cure if it kills the virus, no?

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

If citriodol kills corona viruses as stated in the very excerpt you provided then it could absolutely be classified as a cure if it kills the virus, no?

Not unless it is shown to effectively end the infection in those who are infected.

Bleach kills the virus. Is bleach a cure?

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

What does "kill the virus" mean if not end infection?

As for bleach, technically yes although you may experience some life ending side affects.

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

What does "kill the virus" mean if not end infection?

It means that the virus becomes nonviable when exposed to the substance. In this case, it means on a surface. A virus on a surface is not an infection. An infection is when a virus is multiplying within a host. This is not the same thing as a virus on a surface.

Now, if you have evidence that the ingestion of eucalyptus oil (or alcohol, or bleach) has any effect on an infection I would be happy to consider it.

Note that I have already stated that a few gin and tonics a week seem to work as a preventative, but since I have not been infected there is no way to say it is a cure.

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   

What the bloody hell does Trump have to do with this Phage?

As alleged leader of our country, quite a lot.
He touted hydroxychloroquine.
He touted oleander.
He touted convalescent plasma as a "breakthrough."

Eucalyptus oil seems right up his alley. Like injecting disinfectants? Or somehow using UV light internally?

Again, Phage. You made all my 🚑 runs meaningful!

Touche'.

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Fallingdown

Do you think Hydroxychloroquine is a done deal ?

I think Trump tried a "hard sell", out of turn. I think his endorsement of Stella was pretty absurd. Don't you?

Nobody with COVID-19 should be allowed to take it even if there's a chance it could save lives ?
I didn't say that.

vs

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   

The only way to demonstrate results of significance is with randomized control groups and blinding.

You're talking about two groups one given Hydroxychloroquine and a control group given a placebo correct ?

posted on Aug, 27 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
Just seen this.

An ingredient in insect repellent can kill Covid-19, a study by the Ministry of Defence has found.

The preliminary research by scientists at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) has found that Citriodiol may kill the strain of coronavirus which causes the virus.

Jeremy Quin, the defence minister, said the latest research “shows that sprays containing Citriodiol, which has been made available to the MoD units engaged in the Covid response, can kill the virus”.

The product is made from oil from the eucalyptus citriodora tree, and can be found in several popular insect repellents, including Mosi Guard.

uk.yahoo.com...

Be interesting if this can be taken forward.

10-12 Rosehips for the Vitamin C made into tea with a dab of coconut oil added as a liposomal carrier and you are off to the races.....directed oxidization.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join