It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an ATS Roast be acceptable?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
"When akiros was born, he was so ugly the doctor slapped his mother." -- Rodney Dangerfield

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: muzzleflash

Hmm, it sounds like what people in the US call "humour" (or, in this case, "humor").

I'll pass.

They started in the Friars Club in New York decades ago, ArMaP. It is "US humor," but a lot of European countries have attempted to emulate it over the years with less than successful results. I'd say the Brits have gotten the closest. Part of *why* it fails in Europe is that a roast requires the individual being roasted to have a self deprecative sense of humor and not be too full of themselves... it would seem that the concept of laughing at yourself is foreign to most European cultures.

posted on Aug, 25 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

woah, easy! cmon I mean slapped my motha? that joke hit me so fast it made my head spin!

posted on Aug, 26 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
They started in the Friars Club in New York decades ago, ArMaP. It is "US humor," but a lot of European countries have attempted to emulate it over the years with less than successful results.

Different societies, different people, different ways of seeing things.

I don't know about any attempts to emulate it, as I don't think I ever heard of it.
Thankfully.

I'd say the Brits have gotten the closest. Part of *why* it fails in Europe is that a roast requires the individual being roasted to have a self deprecative sense of humor and not be too full of themselves... it would seem that the concept of laughing at yourself is foreign to most European cultures.

It's like European humour not being understood in the US, different societies, different ways of seeing things.

Probably the limited success in Europe came from people that weren't understanding it but thought they should act as if they did, just to look "cool" or something, there are many people like that, that think they have the obligation to "just adore" everything that is foreign, specially if it comes from a rich country.

PS: It's like stand-up comedy, I find it a complete waste of time.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join