It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC considers dropping Rule Britannia from last night of the Proms.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
A what? High school dances get that kind of show time?

I have no idea what a British "prom" is, this one ain't like your slang for cigarettes that we all know across the pond. TF is a British prom?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I understand that you're virulently anti-UK and that you don't enjoy the splendour and passion of The Proms.

But why would you want to deny others the chance to enjoy themselves in such a manner?

What gives you the right to censor what people can or can not enjoy?

All those British people enjoying The Proms pay their licence fees, why should a minority be allowed to dictate to them?
Maybe we should burn the sheet music its written on?

FFS, lighten up a bit, go along with the ride and HAVE A BIT OF FUN!

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Haha no, a yearly series of classical music concerts started by Sir Henry Wood that runs for 2 months and culminates in the last night celebration.

The idea was to make classical music more accessible and widely appreciated.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: SprocketUK

since when is it bad to be proud of your heritage?
since when is it bad to celebrate your country?

it seems the world has lost its senses.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

There are over 26million licence fee holders....they couldn't prosecute even 1% of them if we ALL chose to boycott it.

Thinking about it maybe we should have tried that when they forced the over 75's to pay it?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

When you put it that way

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Perhaps, but they physically cannot arrest everyone if there is a mass refusal to pay the licence fee.

I doubt they would even try to enforce anything in such a scenario since old BoJo is no fan of the licence fee, or the BBC for that matter.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
lol
They don't even rule over their tiny islands
Ironic

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Forgive the ignorant Yank among you...?

But what is this Last Night thingee?

ETA:

Ok, should have read further along... Oh, well...

What an utterly ridiculous thing to be upset about. Celebrate "Britishness" is now wrong somehow??

Enjoy it, folks... Now then, in the spirit of the moment.

edit on 8/23/2020 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Similarly, in my country, we have an old tradition of celebrating December the 5th, the birthday of Saint Nicholas, or "Sinterklaas" in Dutch. At the end of the year, Sinterklaas will leave his Spanish residence and visit my country to ride a horse over the rooftops and bring us gifts. You probably guessed it: Sinterklaas is the predecessor of Santaclaus.

But this end-of-year celebration is much, much older. Sinterklaas is a Roman-Catholic stand-in for Odin (Wodan), a God that used to ride around in the pre-Christian skies on an eight legged horse (Sleipnir). Odin was accompanied by two ravens: Huginn en Muninn. Sinterklaas also has black servants, the "Zwarte Pieten" (Black Petes).

Well, you guessed it: a small fraction of our population took offense to all this "racism" and started protesting Zwarte Piet. As a result we now have politically correct "soot stained Petes" - Odin is rolling in his grave with laughter :-D

About your OP: I am an avid fan of LOTP - it should remain as it is, I'd say, including the (now) tongue-in-cheek British nationalism which I immensely enjoy. But the times, they are a'changing. Sadly, but such is life in the all-new-let's-do-this-on-our-own UK..

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Imagine the outrage and support from The Home Counties and Middle England if this were to go ahead?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I see you caught on quickly.

edit on 27pSun, 23 Aug 2020 13:34:27 -050020202020-08-23T13:34:27-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

When people like to say immigration doesn't cost us anything, it's things like this it costs.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

There might be some heads exploding in the home counties haha.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I love the BBC for one thing-Documentaries,especially natural history.In that field they are world leaders IMO and they should stick to that because they are certainly not world leaders in news reporting.

Their "news" team knows no limit to the depths they are willing to plummet into this weird lefty/woke/Soviet KGB dream like pseudo reality they aim to portray and attempt to force on the general public.

All this (MK?)ultra PC nonsense is becoming too much.

At this point in time I would get a more accurate and non biased news report off my local spice "enthusiast",as he gibbers and drools while shaking uncontrollably in the gutter.

And bonus-no licence required.

edit on 23/8/2020 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I actually prefer NAT Geo for natural history these days, but I agree with the rest.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

But why would you want to deny others the chance to enjoy themselves in such a manner?

Who said that? Enjoy away

What gives you the right to censor what people can or can not enjoy?

It's a public forum, that gives me the right to express my thought just as much as the OP

Maybe we should burn the sheet music its written on?

If it's sheet music from Elgar then totally, burn it, absolutely awful

FFS, lighten up a bit, go along with the ride and HAVE A BIT OF FUN!

what are you talking about? How the hell do you know if I have fun or not? I'm sure we've had a similar convo on the forums before, you have this fantastic notion that you think you know people from simple replies. Psychology isn't your strong point, cease and desist immediately.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well posted
Thanks!

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

What have you got against Elgar?

Nimrod is one of the most emotionally charged pieces of music it's possible to listen to.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: ForteanOrg

When people like to say immigration doesn't cost us anything, it's things like this it costs.

Well, now that you're out of the EU, the only ones to blame are - the Brits themselves. It are the Brits that want to end the good olde British traditions, not the Dutch, or the EU..

BTW: immigrants shimmigrants. They are people, just people. And people aren't always easy to deal with, but that's how it is.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join