It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens if there's no president elect on January 20th

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Welp... already not feeling great today, this will do wonders for my gut... the possibility of a pelosi presidency, I now have a headache and an upset stomach.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What difference would her tabling anything mean ?

Are you telling me she's going to challenge the results of the 2018 midterm terms? If so that would make the house ineligible to participate because the election wouldn't be settled there either .

Jefferson and Adams were the only two presidents appointed by the house of representatives .

And both appointments were made by the outgoing house .

You sound like Sookie playing what if's .

edit on 23-8-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
What difference would her tabling anything mean ?

I already explained that, go back and reread what I wrote.

Are you telling me she's going to challenge the results of the 2018 midterm terms?

No, the 2020 House elections.

And both appointments were made by the outgoing house .

Yeah? And? She can decide NOT to appoint anyone and table it for next year to control the House seats.

Funny, being that your Original Post is a giant 'what if'. Not my fault if you didn't think it through all the way to see how the Democrats can screw with your wet dream.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

What? LOL

Your whole thread is based on What happens if !

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
Your whole thread is based on What happens if !

Shhhhh. Don't interrupt him, if anything get him more Jurgens.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Here's what you wrote .

That's if Pelosi doesn't challenge the election of House seats.

Election of the house seats doesn't matter it's the old house that appoints a new president . And the time to challenge the 2018 election is long overdue. It would be a civil case two-year statute of limitations .

You are completely in utterly wrong .

The one thing that disappoints me about this place. Is that people don't care who is right or wrong when it's a popularity contest .

Prove you're right show me how she can challenge the 2018 elections ?

Hmmmmm?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Election of the house seats doesn't matter it's the old house that appoints a new president .

Why? She doesn't have to do anything. Show me the mechanism that forces her to hold a vote prior to January 3rd of next year.

The one thing that disappoints me about this place. Is that people don't care who is right or wrong when it's a popularity contest .

Quit your baby ass whining.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here you go this is the procedure you must follow for challenging federal election results .

The statute says little about the substantive standards for judging a notice of contest.[1] Under the law, the candidate contesting the election must file a notice of contest within thirty days
of state certification of the election results.[2]

All of the election results from the 2018 midterms have been certified .

Jefferson and Adams were the only two presidents appointed by the house of representatives. And that is done by the outgoing house .

February 1801, the members of the House of Representatives balloted as states to determine whether Jefferson or Burr would become president. There were sixteen states, each with one vote; an absolute majority of nine was required for victory. It was the outgoing House of Representatives,
controlled by the Federalist Party, that was charged with electing the new president.

Source

Source

Please bring something to the table beside you were inaccurate assumptions .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Now you're changing the subject .

Go figure ?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Okay, that's about contesting an election, not about how Pelosi would sort it out. Try again buckaroo.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Now you're changing the subject .

Go figure ?

I'm still on the same subject, your wet dream. You seem to want to put of some strawmen like 2018 when I told you she could contest this election and postpone any vote on the President until next year.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   

The outgoing House of representatives appoints the president .

So you're telling me she could contest the 2018 house of representative midterms ?

You're starting to name call I must have triggered you I'm sorry .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Okay, that's about contesting an election, not about how Pelosi would sort it out. Try again buckaroo.

That was your whole point. Let me remind you what you said .

That's if Pelosi doesn't challenge the election of House seats.

She can't challenge the election of the house seats for the 2018 midterms .

Try again

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This is without clear precedent (as I already explained to Sookiechacha), but this is what I am seeing based on what little precedent there is:

There are several steps that have to happen before anything out of the ordinary takes place. First, the results of a specific state's election results must be contested. Fallingdown gave us the procedure for that. I believe the case would immediately go to the Supreme Court based on it being a state vs/ Federal issue at that point.

The Supreme Court would then render a verdict based on whether or not the state had overstepped it's role in determining the methodology for a free and fair election, and whether the state had been negligent in ensuring voter rights during said election. That verdict could vary quite widely... it could be tossed out, in effect certifying the vote count... a new election could conceivably be ordered (although I doubt that due to the time-sensitive nature of the issue)... the Electoral votes fr that state could be tossed out (again, I do not see that happening)... or votes which did not meet a specific criteria by a court-imposed cutoff date could be thrown out (that's what happened in 2000).

If the Supreme Court did not act, then the certified votes would go to the Senate for validation, just like any other election. Only if the Senate could not select the President would this go to the House of Representatives.

Once in the House, there is a Constitutional mandate to choose the President. Now, as Speaker of the House, there are several ways Pelosi could get around this until after January 20th. If she were to hold a vote for President, then the states would each appoint a spokesman from their Representatives to cast one vote per state for the President and Vice President. This would be done by the sitting House, not the incoming House.

Now, should Pelosi refuse to allow this choice to be made, and if the Supreme Court did not step in to enforce the Constitution (which they have the authority to do*), the Office of the Presidency would become vacant on January 20, 2021. At that point, since there would be no Vice President to accept the role, the Speaker of the House, under Federal law of succession, would be sworn in as acting President. However, that would not necessarily be Nancy Pelosi! As of that date, she is no longer Speaker of the House until the Representatives choose her again to be Speaker. Whoever is selected by the incoming House as Speaker would be the acting President. It well could be President Pelosi, President McCarthy, President Brooks... any of the Representatives could be chosen, but the strong likelihood is that it would be someone from the party who receives the majority in the House.

*Interestingly enough, should the Supreme Court order Pelosi to take the vote and she refused, I think the duty of enforcing the Supreme Court ruling would fall on the DoJ. The likelihood is that she would be arrested and stripped of her duties under court order and the House would vote for a new President with a "neutral" (notice the quotes; I know there will be no such thing in reality) acting Speaker. That would be a circus show the likes of which I don't think we have ever seen.

That's the way I am reading it. I hope we don't get to find out how right or wrong I am. This is not how the United States of America should operate.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The outgoing House of representatives appoints the president .

Show me where that is stated. You won't be able to but I'm asking anyway.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

That was your whole point. Let me remind you what you said .

She can't challenge the election of the house seats for the 2018 midterms .

Pay attention, we're talking about 2020. The Democrats can challenge any upcpming House election and vote on it after the new House comes in.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Pay attention if a president is appointed by the house of representatives it will be by the outgoing house .

Not by the newly elected house .

You began your whole argument on a assumption that's incorrect .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I already did .

The onus is on you.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You're thinking that the election will hinge on the popular vote. It won't. It'll hinge on the electoral.

SCOTUS recently ruled that States can require electors to vote on behalf of the State's popular vote.

In 2000, the election hinged on Florida's electoral votes, and hanging chads were an issue in a very, very close election. SCOTUS ruled that the recount had exceeded some time limit or something, and Bush took the election, as a result.

Trump has the popular vote this year - by a huge margin
He has the electoral vote - by a huge margin

This election is in the bag

Hence the pathetic desperation from moronic dEm supporters and pathetic anti-Trumpers

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Psychotic a wee bit?
a reply to: SKEPTEK

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join