It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens if there's no president elect on January 20th

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The Democrats plans in the event they lose the election are evident. They will challenge the election over voter for suppression with their post office conspiracy nonsense.

If Trump loses he will most likely challenge the results over voter fraud.

Either way by January 20 it's doubtful there will be a sitting president elect.

Section 3 of the 20th amendment of the United States Constitution covers this scenario.

Section 3
If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.

Which means the duty of selecting a president falls to the old house of representatives. Sounds a little scary at first due to the democratic majority.

Here's how that process is laid out on the 12th amendment.

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and of all persons voted for as Vice-President, and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;-The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;-The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President-The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

The majority of states in the house of representatives not representatives selects the president.

Currently Republicans hold the majority by state at 26 republican states versus 23 democratic states and one tie Michigan.

We're safe there

edit on 23-8-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Doesn't Speaker of the House become interim president until one is selected?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You're thinking that the election will hinge on the popular vote. It won't. It'll hinge on the electoral.

SCOTUS recently ruled that States can require electors to vote on behalf of the State's popular vote.

In 2000, the election hinged on Florida's electoral votes, and hanging chads were an issue in a very, very close election. SCOTUS ruled that the recount had exceeded some time limit or something, and Bush took the election, as a result.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MorpheusUSA

Doesn't Speaker of the House become interim president until one is selected?

Not if the House election hasn't been decided yet.
edit on 23-8-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

No I'm thinking that the outcome of the election will be challenged in court .

If Trump wins possibly over the postal conspiracy .

If Biden wins over voter fraud .

Either way if the Republicans stick together we come out on top .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Either way if the Republicans stick together we come out on top .

That's if Pelosi doesn't challenge the election of House seats. She can create a committee who then awards the seat to a Democrat even if a Republican won and then the House votes on it which means they would then have control of the majority of States.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

No I'm thinking that the outcome of the election will be challenged in court .

He can't challenge "the election". He has to specifically challenge the ballots counts in specific regions, with cause.

He has to challenge the electoral votes awarded by States in areas in which he's challenging ballot counts.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

He has to specifically challenge the ballots counts in specific regions, with cause.

All he has to do is challenge one .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Right. And I fully expect him to do so, probably more than one area. After all, he claimed that 3 million illegals voted in California, and he won that election.

But, remember the 2000 election hinged on 600 questionable votes, from 600 tangible ballots. It was that close of an election. Donald better for hope for a really close election for his plan to work.

edit on 23-8-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's going to be 2 legit 2 quit.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is an actual Constitutional Crisis in the making.

OP is correct that the choice of President is based on the number of states in the House, not the number of Representatives. However, before that comes into play, the Courts have their say. The Constitution states that each state shall have the right to determine the method of their elections, but a case may be made (as it was in 2000) that this right is not absolute and requirements must be fair to the citizens of said state.

If... and I am not saying this is a guaranteed outcome, only an if... a state were to have such inconsistencies that the results were deemed corrupted, I can see a legal case for the electoral votes of that state to be thrown out. For example, should Utah (I only chose Utah because it is easier to type) were to conduct mail-in voting, and should the vote counts from Utah be shown to exceed the number of voters on the rolls by a substantial amount, and if Utah cold not produce any reasonable explanation for this, it is conceivable the electoral votes from Utah could be declared null and void.

That would bring up another issue, though... disenfranchisement of the voters in Utah. It would be removing their voice in the Federal government. There's your Constitutional Crisis. Can anyone say "Thank you, Democrats"?

I knew you could...

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

If / When the election is too snarled to untangle Any Winner...

there will be a Supreme Court deliberation which will take the nation past the Oath-of-Office date of official turnover...

that lull will have allowed a 'small party' time to lay plans for a Coup (as stated in Prophecy, the Book of Daniel)

That Presidential Coup will be a Military General or Elite...Who will in the process of less than 1 week will occupy both Mexico and Canada with Peacekeeper-Forces from a 7 member Pact of USA Alllied Nations, across the Globe.

Viola the 10 Toes which comprise the Final End-Time ...Anti-christ Empire will sweep in upon the unsuspecting global community

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If there is no President a week after the election, the silent majority that has been ohh so silent while anti-American nut jobs destroy and rip our country apart should rise up and fight.

Fight with ultra violence until there is no "resistance" left and no doubt who is in charge of this country.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

For example, should Utah (I only chose Utah because it is easier to type) were to conduct mail-in voting, and should the vote counts from Utah be shown to exceed the number of voters on the rolls by a substantial amount, and if Utah cold not produce any reasonable explanation for this, it is conceivable the electoral votes from Utah could be declared null and void.

Interesting proposition. Do you have any precedent or State statute to back up that theory?
edit on 23-8-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Can't find the link at the moment. But the selection of president will fall under the old house not the newly elected house. So explain to me how she's going to challenge the election results .

Besides that your post does not address that the majority vote and one state only counts as one voat .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm going to knock down a statue of someone!

Just hook a chain to the statue and the back of "my ride".

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

But the selection of president will fall under the old house not the newly elected house.

Pelosi, since she would run the old and new Houses, can table anything she wants until after January 3rd. She would get reelected Speaker, challenge elections, appoint a committee which would be Democrat-led, that committee then decides other Democrats won their seats even if they didn't and then they vote for President.

Besides that your post does not address that the majority vote and one state only counts as one boat .

I addressed it, the Democrats can stack the election challenges and turn red states blue for the time being. Both parties can play games if they want.

edit on 23-8-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The new house election is irrelevant .

Besides that do you have a crystal ball and you know we won't retake the house this November ?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Only the fiasco from 2000. That set the precedent that states must fairly determine the intent of voters. That determination was what caused the "hanging chad" fiasco.

I am expecting the end result, after a lengthy attempt to verify as many ballots as possible, to be that the Supreme Court will finally throw out all ballots that have been deemed questionable. I really don't see them striking down an entire state's electorate if there's any way they can justify not doing so. I only mentioned it as a possibility.

I can still remember earlier in Trump's term when the talking point "Constitutional Crisis" was being thrown around every time the wind blew. I find it ironic that the party throwing around that term then, accusing the other side of causing it, is actively working to bring it about now.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The new house election is irrelevant .

Not if you want to get away with Republican shenanigans in the election certification process. I noticed you avoided addressing the fact that she can table anything she wants until January 3rd of next year.

Besides that do you have a crystal ball and you know we won't retake the house this November ?

I do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join