It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands line up for free food in New York City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I just saw this on the internet hosted by New York Post. I still haven't learned how to post a link.
But thousands of people have lined up for free food in the early morning hours.
This is really getting serious for you guys there in America something is terribly wrong.
we just had a program here in Japan about the homeless here in Osaka and Tokyo much to my surprise there were thousands of homeless people here it's at the soup lines in the morning.
So this is just not happening in America but also here in Asia.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Link? Source ?

Here

The line stretched a quarter-mile before the sun was barely up Saturday, snaking around corners like bread lines in the 1930s. But the hungry in Queens are today’s New Yorkers, left jobless by the coronavirus.

Until the pandemic struck the city, La Jornada food pantry used to hand out groceries to roughly 1,000 families a week. Now, the number tops 10,000. And volunteers serve lunch every day to 1,000 — many of them kids with growling stomachs. Across the five boroughs, the hungry is in the hundreds of thousands, the Food Bank of New York estimates.

Hungry new yorkers
edit on 23-8-2020 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2020 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
abc7ny.com...

CORONA, Queens (WABC) -- Hundreds of people lined up for hours in Queens for free bags of food.

Lines stretched for five blocks outside the Elmcor Food Pantry in Corona.

The largely immigrant community is struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic.

The pantry normally serves about 180 families per week.

Wednesday, about 600 people showed up to get a week's worth of food.

Last week, so many people lined up that the pantry ran out of food.

edit on 23-8-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   
i apologize, sorta, but you are the biggest fearmonger i've seen here.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
One has to ask do they all "need" the food? Unfortunately I have seen a big surge in people taking free items just because they are free and not necessarily because they need them. Once the word is out there is free food and it is food that most people would want to eat the scumbags that just want the freebies will come out of the woodwork. Maybe I am wrong but my guess is not everyone in the line is in dire need of the food

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gnawledge
i apologize, sorta, but you are the biggest fearmonger i've seen here.

Is it still fear mongering if it's actually going down?

I'm reminded of that phrase, 'it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you'

...Better social protections for poor people are urgently needed as the looming recession following the coronavirus pandemic may put basic nutrition beyond their reach, the UN secretary general, António Guterres, said on Tuesday.

“Unless immediate action is taken, it is increasingly clear that there is an impending global food emergency that could have long-term impacts on hundreds of millions of children and adults,” he said. “We need to act now to avoid the worst impacts of our efforts to control the pandemic.”

Source

Beans and bullets, people, beans and bullets,

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

If you live close enough to NYC that bullets could help, the beans wont.
you just can't do much about hoards of starving people... if they get close enough, they will overrun you, and eat your family.

A few more years of this and the farmers will start blocking off the roads in or out of the city to slow down the masses of hungry desperate survivors fleeing the city.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog
One has to ask do they all "need" the food? Unfortunately I have seen a big surge in people taking free items just because they are free and not necessarily because they need them. ...

I agree. If there is no kind of vetting, no study of each person's actual financial situation, I have no doubt that a large portion of those lining up are people who are already sucking the government teat and just taking advantage of the system, abiding resources and taking from people really in need.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

It is NYC.

When you pay obscene rates for rent and taxes, how are you supposed to feed yourself. How anyone on Social security income lives there is beyond me.

Average apartment size 714 sq feet and average rent $2,568.

Don't give them food, send them U-hauls.

www.rentcafe.com...
edit on 23-8-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hungry people and crops rotting in the field. What's wrong with this picture?

www.politico.com...

www.eatingwell.com...
www.latimes.com...
edit on 23-8-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You right click on the page, copy the address then paste it into the symbol that is an arrow coming out of a box. The one when you hover over it says "insert link to a page or site".

Food handouts have been going on for years in most major cities. Its nothing new.
Im surprised that you are surprised its happening in your city. Really?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I personally blame Trump.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
you just can't do much about hoards of starving people... if they get close enough, they will overrun you, and eat your family.

I live close enough that I can see New York City, no hoards of starving people are scavenging the neighborhood for human delicacies.

A few more years of this and the farmers will start blocking off the roads in or out of the city to slow down the masses of hungry desperate survivors fleeing the city.

Which ones they going to block? I-80? 95? 287? 78? The Turnpike? The Parkway? Maybe Route 46 since it's only three lanes wide.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

It is NYC.

When you pay obscene rates for rent and taxes, how are you supposed to feed yourself. How anyone on Social security income lives there is beyond me.

Average apartment size 714 sq feet and average rent $2,568.

Don't give them food, send them U-hauls.

www.rentcafe.com...

As a lifelong NYC resident, I'd like to explain something to you. Mind you, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your statement.

Theres no other city in the world that bends over backwards more for the poor than NYC. We have illegal immigrants show up here and are rewarded with welfare, health insurance, utility assistance, food stamps, transportation, you name it.

Rents may be high, but theres TONS of section 8, housing lotteries, and low income housing. If you decide to simply be a degenerate and booze all day or develop a drug addiction, there's free recovery services and shelters for that.

EVEN THE HOMELESS WERE GIVEN HOTEL ROOMS DURING COVID.

Food lines like this aren't exceptionally long lately due to economic conditions but rather opportunity. Due to Covid theres been a huge influx of food donations from individuals and corporations, therefore more "gimmiedats" for those that were on welfare before Covid and will surely be long after Covid.

A welfare state murders the concept of self determination. Period. And that's what they want

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog

Actually you are correct these people don't really need the "free food". Most of the woman I talk to online, are getting free food from the schools. These are people who have housekeepers, nannies, and high paying jobs. They can afford to feed their kids, yet I feel like they are taking away from kids who actually don't get fed. I feel like they are stealing from the poor. My kids don't qualify for free or reduced lunch, which is fine by me but then again I am not taking free food, I am leaving it for someone who actually needs it.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
How many of those in line are dependents of police officers who were dismissed due to partial de-funding? They should line up outside of Bill Deblasio's mansion.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Fortunately, I don't live near NYC, or even in the US, and I don't have rifles or pistols let alone rounds, but I do have beans, a couple of bad-ass crossbows, and a healthy store of bolts.

I'm surrounded by 110,000 people, on an island measuring only 9x5 miles, it's going to hit the fan in a big way if (when) TSHTF,

Wish us luck,

new topics

top topics

join