It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix police release bodycam video of man who died after being restrained on asphalt in 100-degree

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

In surveillance video also released by the department, Lopez can be seen wandering around a strip mall parking lot northwest of downtown Phoenix on the morning of Aug. 4. According to 911 audio released by police, a caller said a man was sticking out his tongue, grabbing himself and looking at people's cars.

"He's acting kind of funny," the caller said.

After officers arrived, Lopez can be seen running through a parking lot, across the street and into a convenience store, where, police said, he stole a drink and threw it at one of the officers.

man who died after being restrained on asphalt in 100-degree heat

so someone calls 911 reports a man acting "funny"
police arrive and situation degrades quickly.

he wasn't threatening anyone and had no weapon.

he was restrained on the road in 100 degree temperature.

from the article:

At about 10:40 a.m., when the struggle was underway, the temperature in Phoenix was over 100 degrees. According to the National Weather Service, blacktop in direct sunlight can top outdoor temperatures by more than 60 degrees. Second-degree burns occur at 131 degrees, according to the agency. It is unclear from the video whether Lopez suffered burns.

i understand police have little time to make decisions.
it's difficult to handcuff someone who is running or trying to get away.
what i don't understand is why he was held on the hot asphalt for so long.

we still don't know what the cause of death is. so i can't form a logical opinion until i have all the facts first.

from the article:

The cause of death for the man, Ramon Timothy Lopez, 28, has not yet been determined, and multiple investigations are underway, the Phoenix Police Department said.

overall, i believe we need to re-do the whole system we have in place for training and certifying police in the united states. i don't know what that would look like. 4 years in the military police, academy training, a two year degree that covers criminal law at a police officer's level? i don't know.

i have friends who are police. they are good people. most police are good people. we can still support our police but still be critical of individuals who cross the line.

edit on Fri Aug 21 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: title edit....BAN must use source title

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
But the cops were ok though right? Was it a glass bottle that perp threw?

He probably was high that was the cause of death. He committed suicide while pinned down

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

This was obliviously a BLM plot to make the police look bad. Am-I-Right?

This will be another in a long line of incidents were the police get a slap on the wrist. They can violate your rights and kill you and still the blue lives matter crowd will say this was justified.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

we still don't know what the cause of death is.
the investigation is ongoing.

if, through investigation, the police were in the wrong, then they should be held accountable according to the laws of the state.

if, through investigation, the police were not in the wrong, then they should be allowed therapy, and brought back to work.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab

Shooting them solves that problem.

No issues with excessive violence and the police in this country. None at all.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
But the cops were ok though right? Was it a glass bottle that perp threw?

He probably was high that was the cause of death. He committed suicide while pinned down

Way to allow legitimate discussion get hijacked by your need to defend a non-compliant drug addict.

Floyd wasn't mentally ill. He was a violent, physically powerful offender, who resisted arrest while overdosing on animal tranquilizer.

When you equate George Floyd with real cases of police excess you make the whole movement look like a joke.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: subfab

Shooting them solves that problem.

No issues with excessive violence and the police in this country. None at all.

in the instances where the suspect gets violent, yes i agree with you.
in instances where the suspect is not violent, then no, lethal force is not justified.

we still don't have the autopsy report yet. we don't know what the suspect died from.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Police in the US receive almost a thousand hours of training. Most of the training is in weapon usage and take-down procedures while 16 hours is devoted to de-escalation and negotiations.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

I won't hold my breath.

You know very well that the all police instigation panel will find them innocent and then nothing negative will happen.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

If the ground had been boiler hot, I'd guess the chap should've been screaming in agony. So, it might be an overdose, or that and heat, being totally numb to heat, just guessing.

But from the story, I cannot see anything pointing towards cops being at fault.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

If the ground had been boiler hot, I'd guess the chap should've been screaming in agony. So, it might be an overdose, or that and heat, being totally numb to heat, just guessing.

But from the story, I cannot see anything pointing towards cops being at fault.

you make a good point.
i have to check out the video again.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Cops do this kind of # in hot climates all the time

... and they dont understand why we hate them

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Let's just ignore the heat warning in effect and take an extra dose of our restricted medication, because I'm depressed. Excessive heat and toxic substances in my body doesn't equal a good time?

Whaaaaaat?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

edit on 8/21/2020 by Nivhk because: Double post.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk
Double post, hit the reply button thinking I didn't hit it.

Probably the heat made me do it, hope I don't get shot now.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So in future acting funny will be re-directed to the people in white coats - who will come and deal with the situation. By spending all day just following the person around to ensure their and the public safety. Not restraining or infringing on the person rights and any way.

So wonder how much that is going to cost the tax payers?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Even if he was in the throes of death due to drugs, best to just shoot him and put that vermin down.

Amirite?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Even if he was in the throes of death due to drugs, best to just shoot him and put that vermin down.

Amirite?

It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Way to allow legitimate discussion get hijacked by your need to defend a non-compliant drug addict.

Versus your seeming approval of the killing of a simple drug addict.

Floyd wasn't mentally ill. He was a violent, physically powerful offender, who resisted arrest while overdosing on animal tranquilizer.

Yeah, he was such a threat. So, strangling and killing was him ok? I mean, because he was an addict under the influence and all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join