It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waterspout whipped onshore as tornado, downing trees and spooking South Florida residents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 08:15 AM
link   

GOLDEN BEACH, Fla. – A massive waterspout rose up out of the sea and briefly came onshore as a tornado Wednesday, snapping trees in half and causing some anxious moments for residents on both sides of the Miami-Dade/Broward border.

The National Weather Service says the waterspout was first spotted around 1:14 p.m. off Sunny Isles Beach and came onshore around 1:20 p.m. in northern Golden Beach, becoming a tornado.

It quickly went back offshore and then dissipated, but not before its winds tore down trees, tossed around some outdoor furniture and damaged the metal gates of several ocean-facing homes. No injuries have been reported.
Waterspout whipped onshore as tornado, downing trees and spooking South Florida residents

I don't think it is as rare or as cool as the recent firenado. But this is a pretty large waterspout. Interesting to me that it moved ashore, did some damage and went back into the water.

The waterspout only existed on land for about three minutes as a tornado and had winds that reached up to about 80-85 mph.

Thankfully, it looks like no one was hurt and no major damage was done by the waterspout.

Lots of video of this waterspout.

edit on 21-8-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Now I see why I had palm fronds out front this morning.

Not the first time we've had water spouts here in Miami.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

This waterspout/tornado seems to be more massive than most. Not record breaking for sure, unless it is the largest one to turn into a tornado.

I know that recent firenado was a first.

Glad all you got was palm fronds.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think the scientifically correct name for one of these is a "Sharknado".

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yep.

It's Florida, 'spouts happen. 'Spouts-to-twisters landfalls also happen.

I....I dunno what to say here, people outside of the state freak out over the weather events more than the locals do. When I joke and say FL makes the rest of the country (aside from Tornado Alley) look like weather pussies, I'm kinda not kidding...Their afternoon thunderstorms, the Sea Breeze storms, are a daily storm equivalent of a midwest Derecho sometimes.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Yes our afternoon daily thunderstorms from early July until beginning of September are ferocious and almost a daily occurrence. I've seen it rain 8 inches in 2 hours and winds in the 90s isn't that rare.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

Also Florida is in top 5 states with the most tornados so a waterspout isn't that uncommon really

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mark08
a reply to: Mark08

Also Florida is in top 5 states with the most tornados so a waterspout isn't that uncommon really

I know, I grew up Suncoast

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Water spouts DO NOT rise up out of the Ocean .
a water spout is just a normal tornado over a body of water and as the water gets sucked up weakens teh tornado fast they dont usually do much damage nore last more then mints .

Stupid rise up out of the water like a sea monster from a B movie

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   
TEN simultaneous waterspouts reported offshore Louisiana!!

Just came across this video on Brighteon. It is an interesting collection of water spouts. Does make one wonder just what is really going on.

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev
I once had a collection of dreams that was like those spouts but over my city in the areas in central west part of town. I also recall the airport in my dream, maybe just passing. But i never thought it would actually be possible for such a high volume localized event like that. Is that a vetted video?? Itz not some video class project is it?? Looks pretty darn real, but itbis 2020 so i have to ask.

top topics

join