It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

italy plans iraq troop withdrawal (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Italys Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is preparing for the countries general elections. The tide of public opinion has been against Italys contribution to post war Iraq. Italys contribution to post war Iraq made headlines around the globe with the death of intelligence agent Nicola Calipari.

edition.cnn.com
The deployment of the 3,000 troops has long been unpopular in Italy and the announcement about the planned withdrawal came as Berlusconi geared up his political campaign for general elections, to be held next (northern) spring

Asked whether Italy would begin pulling out all its troops from Iraq in September, Buonaiuti said: "That's premature to say. We are in negotiations with allies and the Iraqi government to discuss how we can best reduce the number of troops."

The move represents another change in the make-up of the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq with Ukraine starting a pullout this week, the Netherlands ending its mission this month, and Poland planning to withdraw some troops in July.

The Dutch troops are being replaced by an increased number of Australian personnel, taking that nation's presence in and around Iraq to about 1,400.

The Italian withdrawal plan was originally reported by Berlusconi himself, in an interview with "Porta A Porta," an Italian television show due to air Tuesday night on RAI-1.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I dont a problem with Italian troops leaving Iraq if there planned deployment as come to an end this was the case with NZ forces in Iraq last year it was made clear from the outset the length of time NZ forces would be in post war Iraq.

I do have a problem with countries that pull there troops out of Iraq because public opinion might cost politicians at the ballot box.

Which countrie is going to replace the 3,000 troops when Italy pulls out?
I dont think Australia will increase its troop numbers in Iraq to cover any Italian withdrawal mind you the Australian contribution to Vietnam began with advisors and the numbers of troops grew steadily.

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com
www.cbsnews.com
smh.com.au

[edit on 15-3-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
btw it's also been covered already
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well remember Iraq is a "successful" example of "democracy at work" that is what the bush administration is telling us and taking all the credit for it. Right?

So Iraq doesn't need any other countries troops in their land, I see not problem with Italy pulling their troops out.

And for who is going to fill the empty space, well occurs more American troops will, who else.

new topics

join