It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Extend Gun Free Zones Into Your Own Home!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
Well looks like people need to set up cordoned off cubicles as a work station so they can’t see anything outside of that cube. Don’t make sh** like this easy for them.
That’s a really good idea. 👍

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

not. That is the crux of the argument. Do you think a schoolteacher should be able to inspect your home at will and determine what items you may or may not own?

Hi. To me this is the slippery slope of opening up massive numbers of schoolchildren’s homes in the public school system via the lockdown as a pretext. Just like the cctvs in the UK, where the cam feeds in the home allow Big Brother to monitor “ whether a child is eating their broccoli” or not. I read about this program in the home which was not necessarily even school but just general entree into the homes of some children.

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

No, just because you don't let them in doesn't automatically mean you got something to hide. Doesn't always goes well if your being friendly, it'll come back and bite your butt one day.

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Why did she let the police search her home without a warrant and put her child in that position? Because she "was taught to always consent" to police intrusions? She has no one to blame but herself for allowing it to go that far.

originally posted by: StallionDuck
What the hell is wrong with people!!!!

Child enrolls into video chat school, like everyone else, in the heat of this virus.

Teacher sees RED RIDER BB GUN on child's wall.

Teacher calls principle.

Principle is concerned and asks for Law Enforcement to search the home....

So much wrong in that last sentence.

A FRIGGIN BB GUN! In a PRIVATE HOME!

[...]

edit on Sat Aug 22 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ok but why does it even matter if there is a firearm in view on a zoom call. We live in America, firearm possession is a right and many people and households own them. Many kids are taught to use them and become accustomed to them from a young age. Even if there was a real firearm hanging on the wall, it's none of the body teachers God damned business. It's a private dwelling and the teacher has no idea how the parents and their kid interact or what sort of rules or trust they have. If the parents trust their kid enough to have a firearm in the open that's their business. For all they know the gun is decorative or stored without ammo and the ammo is kept seperately in a safe.

What's next, gonna call cops because parents have a wine rack visible in the background? This is a blatant and outrageous invasion of privacy and government overreach and the teachers involved need to be harshly punished and made clear that this behavior is completely unacceptable.

originally posted by: scrounger
ok there is three issues as i see coming into this discussion and (as usual) getting mixed together...
so for the ideal of ATS deny ignorance let me separate them and discuss each of them.

one. the school intervening for welfare of a child

by all means they SHOULD be doing this...
but with REASONABLE LIMITS.

If during the zoom session they see something that IF THEY SAW on their own property or poses a clear and present danger... then that would be ok to involve the authorities.
in this case if a young child had A CLEARLY IDENTIFIED firearm in their POSSESSION at time of zoom, then by all means that poses a clear and present danger.

but a bb gun, paintball gun or something they cant clearly identify on a wall , in a case, whatever... NO the police should not be called just on that..

[...]

edit on 22-8-2020 by Bearmonger because: .

edit on Sat Aug 22 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed quote Trim Those Quotes

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's none of the teachers business if someone owns firearms. The fact said firearms happen to be visible hanging on a wall while their child is doing a zoom call is again, none of their #ing business.

originally posted by: Liquesence

School is not the general public. School is supposed to be communication between student and teacher for the sole purpose of instruction.

But school is "public," not private.

In this instance, while the student was at a private residence, there is likely no reasonable expectation of privacy because it was broadcast live, outside the house.

[...]

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

In a perfect world, it's certainly true that refusal to cooperate does not indicate guilt or innocence. In reality though, we all profile one another all the time based solely on things like this. In this case, cooperation ended it as far as the police were concerned and put it to rest in a positive way. The school is another story.

IMO she should pursue any and all actions available to her against the school. That's how it's dealt with IMO. She would be coming at them from a strong position, having cooperated fully from the beginning. She now has all the power, and she's made the school look very bad. I personally think she has a solid chance of winning a lawsuit.

I see two very different headlines that were possible.
"School exposes danger to child"
"School harasses innocent family"

I know it's not the right call in all cases. There are times when it's best to simply say no, but I don't see that in this case.

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
So I don't use Zoom for business purposes due to some inherent security flaws in the application. Also one feature it is sorely lacking, that I do get from MS Teams, background blur. I share workspace currently with my wife who is an artist, needless to say there's a spray booth, paints, brushes, and all of the other tools of the trade pretty clearly visible right behind me. When I am doing a Teams meeting I just use the blur background function, and the only thing you can see is me and the back of my chair.

There are ways to go about it electronically via Zoom as I've looked up, setting a virtual background and all, but having that functionality natively built into the software would be a benefit that the kids could use, the parents could be assured that nothing behind the child could be seen. I'm sure some of these kids aren't working in a bedroom of their own, and possibly at the family computer in another part of the house. Maybe someone really enjoys Bob Marley and has a print or record up on the wall, imagine how well a teacher is going to view that one.

In fact I can see a school requirement for virtual backgrounds in Zoom meetings in order to lessen distraction of the kids looking at backgrounds. It's a quick 2 minute set-up time, they send out an approved background (school logo, blank, etc.), and have a quick tech session on how to set it up for the kids. I know that sounds more reasonable than most education systems are these days however.

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Teacher needs to be swatted..

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

In this case, yes, it turned out to be the right call. The police did their jobs fairly and left. But as has been pointed out, that was not a guaranteed outcome.

All I am saying is that the idea of refusing a search being an admission of guilt is completely antithetical to our form of government. While you may be right that such a refusal can and does raise suspicion, that is exactly why we cannot ever give into that being the correct interpretation. The default if no one speaks up and demands different, is that there is no more right to privacy because any attempt to exercise that right indicates that right can now be broken because of suspicion.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 22 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BastogneFoxHole

Teacher needs to be swatted..

...with a 2x4.

...full of nails.

...nasty, rusty nails.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
That's f'n crazy.

The op is crazy too, don't let the police in, like inviting in a vampire, sure, most cops are going to be respectful, but you may encounter a liberty taker..been there.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: StallionDuck

Okay. She said:

“I felt violated as a parent, for my child, who’s standing there with police officers in his room, just to see the fear on his face,” she added.

Why TF did you let them in? When they ask, 'May we search your sons room?", you say, "No".

Right. Anyways it isn't illegal for your child to have an unloaded firearm hanging on their wall.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: StallionDuck

Okay. She said:

“I felt violated as a parent, for my child, who’s standing there with police officers in his room, just to see the fear on his face,” she added.

Why TF did you let them in? When they ask, 'May we search your sons room?", you say, "No".

Right. Anyways it isn't illegal for your child to have an unloaded firearm hanging on their wall.

Now let's merry up school, firearms and children and what do we get with those three together ?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Home isn't the school.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Home isn't the school.

That's right, not many school shootings happen at home.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

"Do you have a warrant?"

"No."

"Then you may not come in."

Who TF knows that else they may opt to find to put your ass in jail. If they do have a warrant call your attorney and say nothing

I open the door about 16 inches with one foot wedged so they can't just nudge it open more (as most cops are trained to do), do as AM suggests above in a cooperative manner, and call it a day.

I never have anything to hide, and they've never come back.

Ok, rarely have anything to hide...

edit on 23-8-2020 by aeroscrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BastogneFoxHole

"Teacher needs to be swatted"

Boooooo

Hissssss

Boooooo

Swatting is bad for your own health, and the health of everyone around you.

Just say no to swatting. You'll be glad you did.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Are you honestly asking? The answer is no, it isn’t illegal to have a firearm on the wall. Whose room it is in is arbitrary- it’s not the kid’s house, it’s the parents.

If I want a flamethrower on my kids wall, it’s legal- as long as it is properly stowed, who can argue?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Yeah the virtual background setting is a quick setup, easiest solution right here. That and enrolling in a different school that will try a more personable approach before involving the police.. gotta wonder what other "lessons" an educator like that tries teaching their students.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join