It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crofters Trampled And Eagles Knocked Out Of The Sky Scottish Wind Farms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
We all know turbines do this to eagles, Scottish eagles no exception.

. . . it was clear the eagle had a serious head injury and it was also being eaten alive by midges.
It was found in a remote part of the island close to a large wind turbine so this is likely to have been the cause of its injuries.
. . .
After an x-ray, thankfully no breakages were found but the bird had severe bruising to the body as well as head trauma.
. . . the eagle had an RSPB leg ring and tracker attached to its body, I contacted the local RSPB representative, Robin Reid. He was able to confirm that the bird had been born in June 2009 here on the island.
. . .
“The population of white-tailed eagles on the Isle of Lewis has been increasing in recent years following their successful re-introduction to Scotland.

“However, it is concerning that this injured bird has been found close to a wind farm. We know the species is susceptible to collisions with wind turbines and we are concerned about the impact of further proposed wind farms in the area.”
www.stornowaygazette.co.uk...

The first recorded Scottish sea eagle death by turbine was 2014.

The dead sea eagle, known as Red T, was a male released in the east of Scotland in 2011. The corpse was found three months ago under a layer of snow beneath a wind turbine at Burnfoot Hill, which was developed by the Bristol-based company, Wind Prospect, and is owned and run by the French state enterprise, EDF Energy Renewables.
www.wind-watch.org...

Have a share of the cash and it will all be alright.

The Stornoway Wind Farm Project would see 25 turbines erected on land owned by the Stornoway Trust, a publicly elected body which manages the Stornoway Trust Estate on behalf of the local community.

Iain Maciver, Factor of the Stornoway Trust, said: “We are relieved that the Stornoway Wind Farm project can finally now move forward.
. . .
“I believe this is not just good news for the Trust, but ironically also for the appellants, who, in my view, would have been exposing themselves and those they represent to considerable risk had they been successful in their ill-advised actions.

“As things currently stand, however, if the project proceeds as planned, they too can look forward to a share of rental revenues, which to them will be worth in excess of half a million pounds per annum.’
www.stornowaygazette.co.uk...< br />

Trickery between locals who see each other shopping. On an island that isn't going to work out well.

Mrs Mackenzie criticised the Stornoway Trust for giving a lease to Lewis Wind Power, saying there was no consultation with the grazings committees.

She maintained: “Nobody asked us if they could use our grazings for multinational turbines. Nobody wrote us a letter. Nobody gave us a phone call. Nobody even thought of telling us about it in the passing at Tesco’s. We were kept in the dark by the Stornoway Trust and then, when we did find out, we were told it was too late – it was a done deal and we couldn’t do anything about it.

“Even the worst private landlord would not dare to behave like that to their crofting tenants and it is simply shocking that the Stornoway Trustees not only signed that lease behind our backs but that they should continue to defend it . . .
www.hebrides-news.com...

Trickery and bullying. I recommend looking at the photographs of the creep following her around the exhibition.

THE STORNOWAY WIND FARM THUMBSCREWS
. . .
The French multinational is the main player behind the big projects planned for Lewis and is putting pressure on Government.

. . . LWP’s Stornoway scheme is doubly controversial because it is the subject of a legal battle between LWP and four crofting townships who want to be allowed to develop their own renewables projects on some of the same sites – their own common grazings.
. . .
The townships wanting to build their own schemes are Sandwick North Street, Melbost & Brananhuie, Sandwick East Street and Aignish. Their stated aim is to use 100 per cent of the profit to benefit the whole islands community along the same lines as the award-winning Point and Sandwick Trust, which supports projects throughout the Outer Hebrides.

. . . very concerning that EDF were meeting Scottish Government about their new proposals two months before we – the townships whose common grazings these turbines will be on – had heard anything about it.
. . .
Rhoda and I went along to the LWP public event this week. Personally, I didn’t feel hugely comfortable – ‘a mission behind enemy lines’, as one of my friends put it – but it was very informative to be able to see 3D images of what the turbines will look like in various places, if they go ahead.
. . .
I wasn’t a welcome presence at all in that exhibition (that’s me next to Rhoda, above). I spent time speaking to one representative from LWP, who was nice and tried his best to answer my questions, but I was also followed around the whole time by another representative from LWP – which you can see from the pictures.

www.hebrideswriter.com...

We know this is foul. Nature destroyed and communities ruined for fake green energy. Greed driving it all.

Deployment of the new generation of large onshore wind turbines in the 5MW-plus range is seen as a key way to make viable onshore wind projects currently locked out of the contract-for-difference (CfD) auctions that are the UK's main support mechanism for renewables, with no sign that the new Conservative government is inclined to reverse the policy.
www.rechargenews.com...

Wind farms. Local communities are subjected to big industry dirty tricks and nature is seen as being in the wrong place.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

And that's worse than the damage caused by fracking, coal mines, deep sea oil drilling, etc. How?
edit on 20/8/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I just read this little tit-bit about half an hour ago:

"Number of birds killed by wind turbines drops by 72 per cent when a single blade is painted black, study finds"

www.dailymail... .co.uk/sciencetech/article-8646735/Bird-deaths-wind-turbines-drop-72-cent-one-blade-painted-black.html

Of course, a single-painted black blade didnae help the UFO that collided with a wind turbine in Lincolnshire in 2009.

Lincolnshire ufologists are combing the area around the Conisholme wind farm for evidence to back their theory that one of the turbines was on Sunday seriously damaged by a "mystery aircraft", as the BBC euphemistically puts it.

The turbine - one of 20 operated at the site by Ecotricity - lost one 66ft (20m) blade and suffered damage to another in the incident following "many reports of activity in the area" received by the aforementioned friends of ET.

Russ Kellett of the Flying Saucer Bureau confirmed: "One saw what they at first thought was a low-flying aircraft on the Saturday evening and another heard a loud banging in the early hours of Sunday."

"This is the second most reports of activity we have ever had - I have had over 30 phone calls and emails. To hit two of the blades, any object must have been about 170ft long."

Ecotricity described the extent of the damage as "unique". Company founder Dale Vince said: "We don't have an explanation at the moment as to what the cause was. We have been crawling all over it and have sent bits off for analysis to see if we can work out what caused it. Until we have some idea, some plausible explanation that it was not a UFO, I don't think we should rule it out."

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Because you have to have fracking, coal mines, deep sea oil drilling, strip mining etc.. to make the windmills. It takes over 120 tones of coal to make one windmill.

Look it up. Wind farms and solar farms are a big threat to the environment.

edit on 8 20 2020 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TotoMesch

www.4vultures.org...

The annual fatality rate was significantly reduced at the turbines with a painted blade by over 70%, relative to the neighboring control (i.e., unpainted) turbines. The treatment had the largest effect on reduction of raptor fatalities; no white‐tailed eagle carcasses were recorded after painting.
onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

Studies have shown that insects are very attracted to the bright white color that is found on most wind turbines around the world. As a result, they frequently land on the structures when they are not moving or stay around the area for long periods of time.

This causes birds, bats, and other flying animals to get injured by the wind turbines. They could be flying through the blades and get stopped in mid-air or choose to nest below them to be close to a convenient food source that the insects have created. It is speculated white-painted wind turbines could account for the cause of death of many different species of wildlife for these reasons.

It has been argued that wind turbines should be painted the color purple instead of white. A big reason for this suggestion is the fact that insects seem to be attracted to brighter colors like yellow and white.

Since most wind turbines are painted white and reflect the sunlight, they almost act as a magnet for all kinds of bugs and flying animals. It was concluded by scientists after conducting research that purple paint would keep the bugs away from the area and stop luring a large number of birds and bats toward the spinning blades.

When wind farmers choose to paint their turbines in shades of grey to help them blend into their surroundings, they are also doing it to attract fewer insects.

Even though the color grey is very close to white, it is not as bright and reflective. As a result, it deters bugs away from gathering near the blades. Although many people are leaning toward the idea of purple and grey paint colors, the default color for most wind turbines is still white at this moment.
discoverwindenergy.com...

I'd like to see this shade of purple before I comment.

top topics

join