It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OHHHHHH So now Stay at home Parents are unpaid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Blegh, I couldn't imagine. When I fracked in the oilfield, it would get up to 135 between the huge radiators of the pumps when we were running wide open and that was still more tolerable than being on a roof. It was so hot the heat would instantly take your breath away. The worst part about that was when I'd have to drive that 65 ton $1.8 million dollar pump back with the cold air blowing on me. Sleeeeeeeeepy doesn't begin to describe the feeling.

originally posted by: Muninn
Back in the day I summer temp with a roofing company in Chicago and coating yourself in Vaseline and wearing long sleeved shirts and jeans so you don't get tar pitch burns sucked, longest summer ever, never again.

Panty waists.

My first job was delivering papers. The company wanted them delivered by 6AM. I didn't, but that's what time they wanted me to. I also had to fold the papers and put in the inserts. This was back breaking work for the old man since I wasn't going to be bothered.

And don't get me started about when it was raining. You know how hard it was to stretch from my mom's car to those people's mailboxes?

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

OOF! I'll have to go change my shorts now.

BRB

(post of the year, BTW)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Muninn

Lol, you and JAG get it! It's life, life's a little bit of work, a little bit of elbow grease, and a lot of compromising. The Gimme, Gimme NOW people deluded themselves into thinking life is effortless. It is not. It does not, however, mean every single thing we do or take responsibility of is "work". People that think that are lazy, and idiots.

That's what I was trying to put in a gentle way, but you did it so much better.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I feel that struggle my brother I too remember delivering papers for the Chicago Tribune, I still have night terrors.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

If you leave 2 slices of bread on the counter and a butter knife you'll be amazed by how quickly nature kicks in...

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, it's not a job title like a lot of people use it for. A job is a paid position of regular employment and when someone refers to working, they're referring to the job you go to everyday. Taking care of our kids is our responsibility. I often feel guilty that I drop my son off at daycare everyday so my wife and I can work our jobs, but I use a woman who was a good friend in high school and owns one of the best daycares around here, plus he loves it there. If my wife wanted to stay home to take care of him, I would let her in a heartbeat, but never in a million years would she say she was a stay at home mom. She would say she doesn't work, she stays home with our son.

Everyone is entitled to their preference, but there's no need in getting offended when someone says you don't work. Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.

But WHY? Why is it called work if a stranger takes care of your kids and they get SS and it is not work when your Wife does it and a better job of it?
Maybe if they didn't hear like my Wife did constantly the derogatory tone "Oh You Done't Work" Maybe if it was included as being considered a full time job by society more people would proudly care for their kids instead of letting perverts take their kids all day.

I don't consider 18 to 25 year old girls - who are interviewed and have background checks and drug tests ran on them - as perverts. It's considered work by the daycare staff because it's their job description to take care of other peoples kids. Why should it be considered a job for me or my wife to stay home and take care of a child we reproduced? That's called a responsibility, not a job.

If we're gonna start acting like this then when do I start getting a government check for washing, waxing, and detailing my truck that I bought and got dirty? When can I expect my government check for power washing my house last weekend? Mowing my yard? Cleaning my house? Either I can take care of it myself for free because it's my responsibility, or I can find a company that hires people to do these things and I can pay them to do it. Do you see a pattern yet?

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I feel that struggle my brother I too remember delivering papers for the Chicago Tribune, I still have night terrors.

Delivering papers in Muderland? I'd have PTSD too...

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
If you leave 2 slices of bread on the counter and a butter knife you'll be amazed by how quickly nature kicks in...

I do something similar when I toss my dirty laundry near the washing machine.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

You actually get it that far lol...mine go in a pile in front of the walk in closet she took over...somehow magically they always end up back in the tiny little section of that closet I've been granted access to.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Delivering papers in Muderland? I'd have PTSD too...

I'm not that brave, the route was in the burbs of Rosemont.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Blegh, I couldn't imagine. When I fracked in the oilfield, it would get up to 135 between the huge radiators of the pumps when we were running wide open and that was still more tolerable than being on a roof. It was so hot the heat would instantly take your breath away. The worst part about that was when I'd have to drive that 65 ton $1.8 million dollar pump back with the cold air blowing on me. Sleeeeeeeeepy doesn't begin to describe the feeling.

Back in the day I summer temp with a roofing company in Chicago and coating yourself in Vaseline and wearing long sleeved shirts and jeans so you don't get tar pitch burns sucked, longest summer ever, never again.

Panty waists.

My first job was delivering papers. The company wanted them delivered by 6AM. I didn't, but that's what time they wanted me to. I also had to fold the papers and put in the inserts. This was back breaking work for the old man since I wasn't going to be bothered.

And don't get me started about when it was raining. You know how hard it was to stretch from my mom's car to those people's mailboxes?

Never mind. I was gonna ask you if you ran your paper route like my uncle did back in the 60's when he was in high school. He'd pick up one of the girls in the neighborhood that he went to school with and then go park on the levee after his route.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I don't understand the controversy; whether a parent works a job outside of the home or not; their kids and their home still need the same level of care and maintenance.

For example the dishes don't wash themselves; nor young kids bath themselves because a parent decides to leave the house to work.

So from a simple logical prospective working parents have more "work" to do than stay at home parents. They have to do their vocational jobs and still do all the domestic work as well. This can not be argued.

Sure there are individual circumstances that make home lives different for everyone. Working parents can choose to off load some of their domestic work on paid help ... but that's not free, it means they must work more at their vocational jobs to make up the difference. And its also possible for stay at home parents to off load some of their domestic work to paid help.

The issue in the age of Covid-19, I believe, is not the amount of work a parent must now undertake; because frankly that isn't changing much. All working parents have had two "jobs" since forever. What is new today is the uncertainty and the logistics.

Our society has developed into one where the majority of kids and parents part from each other for a few hours a day in order to pursue endeavors necessary for the families survival ... and now that is beginning turned on its head and many are feeling overwhelmed. There is no quick fix to the problem (other than the obvious one) ... one can say "I home schooled" till their blue in the face and thats great for those who did; but you can't expect other family's to adopt that lifestyle in just a few short months with out significant stress.

And ofcourse a families level of stress during these times is indirectly prepotional to their wealth. Porer families are going to have a significantly harder time dealing with this situation. They are more likely to be single parent families; more likely to not have work from home options or vacation time; and they will be less likely to afford paid help.

Unfortunately the people who make policy in this country are on the more wealthier side of the spectrum and simply can not understand the stresses being confronted by the less fortunate then themselves... they can easily stay home and care for their kids while they phone in their bureaucratic jobs and they think everyone else should be able to do it as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   

But WHY? Why is it called work if a stranger takes care of your kids and they get SS and it is not work when your Wife does it and a better job of it?
a reply to: SeaWorthy

For the same reason it is called work when a stranger brings you food and they get $$ and it is not work when you do it yourself and do a better job at it.

For the same reason it is called work when a stranger fix your car they get $$ and it is not work when you dot it yourself and do a better job at it.

For the same reason it is called work when a stranger cleans your clothes and they get $$ and it is not work when you do it yourself and do a better job at it.

You are thinking of chores.

edit on 19-8-2020 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Never mind. I was gonna ask you if you ran your paper route like my uncle did back in the 60's when he was in high school. He'd pick up one of the girls in the neighborhood that he went to school with and then go park on the levee after his route.

No, I ran mine like a sweatshop.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Panty waists.

you had it easy. I had to get my papers ready by 5am and deliver them, all in the special place the asshole customers wanted. Some in milk boxes, some in the storm door. Those were the worst. They would actually bitch if when the opened up their door, the paper didn't fall down to display the front page. And I did all that for a freaking dollar tip at Christmas. and I had to do it in the north land. Where is snowed. The only plus was nobody there had to shovel their roofs. (I heard shoveling a roof was worse than just about anything and all the neighbors would laugh at you)

But I did have all the new Atari games.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The paper my dad worked for put out the weekend papers at 2am and you got them in bundles of 50 which you had to roll them yourself and bag them. And yea some had boxes some were thrown...but all had to be out by 5am...was like 300+ houses if I remember right.

Still a pretty chill job once you got going and had the muscle memory of the route down. Drive around the neighborhoods and jam some tunes relaxing.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Bill Burr has it right about stay at home mom's.

🤣

Especially the part about another adult coming home and giving them money

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

They are pushing for the UBI and they will get it sooner or later.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

My wife loved her stay at home "job" and would love that job again.
She would definitely argue that it's the best "job" she ever had with the greatest benefits.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Well, it's not a job title like a lot of people use it for. A job is a paid position of regular employment and when someone refers to working, they're referring to the job you go to everyday. Taking care of our kids is our responsibility. I often feel guilty that I drop my son off at daycare everyday so my wife and I can work our jobs, but I use a woman who was a good friend in high school and owns one of the best daycares around here, plus he loves it there. If my wife wanted to stay home to take care of him, I would let her in a heartbeat, but never in a million years would she say she was a stay at home mom. She would say she doesn't work, she stays home with our son.

Everyone is entitled to their preference, but there's no need in getting offended when someone says you don't work. Anyone with a kid (who loves their kid(s) knows it's a task caring for a child.

Do I need paid for the bush shaping my older kid and I just spent time outside doing with our evergreen bushes? I mean, it should be considered unpaid work by your train of thought. One of my neighbors owns and runs a landscaping business, so if he gets paid for being hired, I should be paid for minding my own home free of cost? That ain't right.

The difference in my book is if you're capable of doing something physically and/or time-wise, you should not be labeling your personal tasks and responsibilities (like bush shaping) as default unpaid work. If you can't do it yourself, you hire out, thus, then professional babysitting/daycares come into play. DIY is not a job.

I hate to break it to you & yours, but you really need to thicken the skin a bit & find a good common sense comeback instead of letting it get under your skin. I've personally found that answering "You don't work? But, why wouldn't you want a job?" with "I cannot effectively parent for 18 years on just a couple of off-clock hours a day" to be a VERY effective conversation ender.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join