It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube auto loading Biden Ads?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   
firefox + ublock origin, no ads whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That's telling about the posters on this website they don't care about this propaganda... because they spin propaganda here themselves.

So our smart phones and computers, most likely thanks to Google and social media know what political party we lean towards and on YouTube lock in ads from the opposing political party that are difficult to remove (can't right click on).

That's a pretty big deal. HUGE.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
try a different blocker, I use ublock origin, seems more effective than other blockers I have tried. (The channels I watch tend to have paid sponsorships in the video rather than youtube ads) Also block your location. Might just be an ad targeted to your demographic.

Being Aussie I don't get U.S political ads thank god. And thanks to the blocker I don't get any ads. At least on my PC.

Might be crazy but advertising has the opposite effect on me, I'm less likely to buy a product that's advertised than not, especially if I am constantly exposed to the same ad over and over.

I'm an adult, I know how to 'shop' for what I need on my own, and there are many less lazy and annoying ways for website content creators to make money if they put in a little effort. I don't need mindless advertising telling me what I need.

most advertising I get exposed to is irrelevant to me any way, when I am watching video game related content, I don't need life insurance popping up. Possibly the biggest mistake companies like GoogleTube make, not placing advertisements related to the content being viewed.

If I am watching video game videos then video game, computer and nerdy pop-culture related stuff would be better to target me with.

Faced this issue with my own youtube content, where I don't bother with monetization anymore. Too many videos flagged advertiser unfriendly because they stick ads for local Supermarkets and Insurance companies etc, instead of advertising that was relevant to my audience.

Plus found things like Patreon are more profitable than youtubes monetization any day. I made more from a single patron donating monthly than I ever did with Youtubes advertising.

Even good ol' ATS would probably get more revenue from a Patreon account than they make with annoying ads if they gave it a try.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
That's telling about the posters on this website they don't care about this propaganda... because they spin propaganda here themselves.

So our smart phones and computers, most likely thanks to Google and social media know what political party we lean towards and on YouTube lock in ads from the opposing political party that are difficult to remove (can't right click on).

Or instead of having a cow about it and blaming us for shaking our heads at you & chuckling because we figured out how to avoid what irks us, you could simply take our advice and simmer down. Nobody HAS to look at them with the blocking tools available, several of us literally named the add-ons and browsers we use. It's not a commissions pitch, FFS.
edit on 8/19/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo
Might be crazy but advertising has the opposite effect on me, I'm less likely to buy a product that's advertised than not, especially if I am constantly exposed to the same ad over and over.

I'm an adult, I know how to 'shop' for what I need on my own, and there are many less lazy and annoying ways for website content creators to make money if they put in a little effort. I don't need mindless advertising telling me what I need.

You're not alone, I'm of the same cloth. Advertisements generally do not make me want a product, at all. The more often I see the product being advertised, or more aggressively I see it advertised, the more I flat refuse to buy it. I know what I need, I know how to browse a store or website to find it, I don't need to be bombarded with ads for that. "Oh, but it's new/not well known, how would you know about it otherwise?" By being observant at store shelves, that's how, ya corporate dingdongs.

Even good ol' ATS would probably get more revenue from a Patreon account than they make with annoying ads if they gave it a try.

Good point. Granted, I'm not really sure what Patreon is or how it works beyond money exchanges (so it's basically PayPal, I think? Maybe? I don't know) but it's been out there for a while, and it's a go-to for YouTubers for a reason. If it's good enough for them, ATS might want a seat on that boat for revenue.
edit on 8/19/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

The way Patreon works is people can basically subscribe to you directly. Can be a one off donation, or monthly sub, many usually offer 'perks' as incentives, like merch, or access to private forums or discord servers (voice chat) where they can speak to the content creators directly, and early access to videos before they're made public.

Good example would be CinemaSins on Youtube. You'll often see a video released by them, yet there will appear comments that were made 4 days earlier, because those are the patrons of the channel getting early access and Youtube only shows the date a video is publicly published, not when it is uploaded.

You can have set tiers with different perks, set minimum amounts or just let people donate what they feel like. But yes it works, hence why so many use it.
It also removes 3rd parties controlling your revenue and deciding if and when you get your money. Sure patreon still sets the rules, but personally from my own experience it is much better for a content creator than being forced to do things the youtube way.

Like my example, I've not made a lot of money when I was more active and using patreon, but I actually made money compared to youtubes monetization, a system where youtube constantly moves the goal posts and has different rules for everybody.

My example would be. I finally started getting tens of thousands of views on my videos, despite only having about 250 subscribers.

Finally started getting money coming in (in theory). But then they changed the rules to if I wanted my money I needed to have 1000+ subscribers. Video views be damned.
I could easily 'bot' or 'sub4sub' to 1000 or more but I like that my subscribers are legit. To this day never received my youtube dollars, but I have received every single cent from patreon whenever I chose to cash it out, minus their very small cut of course.

As for the double standards for rules...
I'd lose monetization for saying the F word just once in a video because it's not 'advertiser friendly'.... while pretty little 18 year olds could release videos where every 2nd word was swearing, but of course they still got ads and money. Because millions of views and thousands of subs.
Literally different rules because I don't make enough money for youtube.

Patreon (and more recently paypal.me) you bypass all that nonsense. Same rules on patreon (as far as I am aware) for everyone, whether you're a 'megastar' pewdiepie or a small time middle aged gamer like myself.

Your viewers determine your contents worth. Not an agenda and money driven corporate board of suits.

Definitely the way to go these days IMHO. Until every ones doing it and Google/Youtube runs at a loss that is, and instead of taking the hint, they'll try to stamp it out or buy it out instead.

I personally would think nothing about dropping $5aud a month myself on ATS if they set up a patreon. Especially if it came with perks, like for my $5 I could hide all the U.S politic forums from view, even if just on the front page.
Especially as it's a system I am already using. When I have to sign up for a new donation method every day, it turns me off giving anything. Keep it simple stupid as they say.

Times change, gotta move with them. that's the main problem here, it's 2020, but ATS is still doing things the late 90's early 2000's way. There's a reason why adblockers are growing in popularity (especially as it's not just ads, it's the data they're also harvesting at the same time.) and why so many are moving to things like Patreon.

ATS can be great again... well financially speaking, but TPTB need to change their old man ways of thinking for it to be so.
Those who have adapted are thriving and there's a reason for it.
edit on 19-8-2020 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Or instead of having a cow about it and blaming us for shaking our heads at you & chuckling because we figured out how to avoid what irks us, you could simply take our advice and simmer down. Nobody HAS to look at them with the blocking tools available, several of us literally named the add-ons and browsers we use. It's not a commissions pitch, FFS.

Bro it doesn't irk me at all...I actually did the ad blocking per YouTubes instructions and I'm still getting Trump ads at the top of my homepage. Maybe I need to clear my history or something.

I don't think you understand my point, I don't get banner ads on YouTube.com...my homepage just populates with videos that I like to watch. If I hit the three little dots there's an option of "not interested" and the suggested video will go away immediately.

These are reasons why I think these political banner ads are very strange:

1. YouTube is suggesting political videos of the opposing party based on information they have collected from you.
2. It requires steps and possible additional downloads to remove them.
3. YouTube home page never had banner ads at the top.
4. These aren't banner ads, but more of a fusion of a YouTube video and a banner ad.

It's very weird imo.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the tech advice. I am more than aware of all of the tech to stop it. Logging in. Paying.

The point was when I would go it would play in the background. I did not select anything and it would not stop. Annoying.

That is all. I just wanted to point out that YOUTUBE is making users listen to political ads and could not turn them off.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I actually did the ad blocking per YouTubes instructions and I'm still getting Trump ads at the top of my homepage. Maybe I need to clear my history or something.

I guess you mean youtube tutorials? Like ATS I doubt youtube would want people blocking their ads and encouraging people to do so.

Also have you tried making custom rules? Many ad blockers allow you to right click an object and select "custom rule" or "block this element", which is sometimes required when advertising is so new the 'ad lists' blockers use haven't updated to feature them yet.
(You can block more than just ads, like animated gifs, video players, and essentially any element on a web page)

blockers don't just magically detect ads and block them, they use lists compiled by humans that tell them what is an ad on the page. There are literally billions of ads on the net, as great as blockers and their lists are they won't catch them all.

Also, what browser are you using? That can also have an effect. I tend to go with Firefox personally, as Chrome is one, owned by google, and two pretty hardware hogging compared to other browsers. Chrome loves eating ram.

Maybe along with what I suggested before, trying a different blocker, maybe change browsers too. Most blockers along with other plugins have a version for most other popular browsers, e.g ublock is available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera.

Also check your extensions settings. You can manually update the ad lists yourself, instead of waiting for them to auto update, you can even select different lists compiled by different sources.
(I've also found PC ad blockers tend to work better than those for mobile phones and smart TV's etc.)

And yes, a good old cache clean occasionally and a reboot of the device you're using can do wonders.

Also, maybe run an antivirus program and an anti-malware and check for viruses, or malware. Look for hijackers that might have hooked into your browsers and are injecting content from external sources.

Don't just rely on an anti-virus, or anti-malware app, because virus software looks for viruses not adware or malware, and visa versa.

Back when I was a computer technician, a lot of work came from cleaning that kind of crap out of peoples computers. usually came from a dodgy browser toolbar add-ons. e.g you don't need a search bar addon as every browser already has that feature built into the address bar.

Also when installing things, look at reviews first see if it seems trustworthy and has a good reputation.

Read the prompts, don't just click next next next, or agree. Quite a few apps, especially free ones which will ask if you want to 'opt in' to having malware installed on your device, with the agree check box pre-ticked, that many over look during an install due to being impatient and they just click on past it.

Honestly what you say is weird is genuinely quite common, and much of it relies on the fact most people are clueless about the tech they are using.
A lot of the crap I have removed from peoples PC's over the years was simply there due to their own ignorance and was easily avoidable.

RTFM and learn what you use does. Make sure the only things you have installed on your device are the things YOU have installed and permitted.

Any way, good luck, hope you get it sorted. If you're not very technology minded, maybe find a friend to help you who is.
edit on 19-8-2020 by AtomicKangaroo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

oh also had another thought, are you using a VPN?

Free VPN's can sometimes be notorious for injecting ads into a users browser.

If you're using a VPN, try looking at the same websites without it enabled. If the ads disappear when it is off, you know it is the culprit.

From 2017, one of the most popular free VPN's at the time.
Hotspot Shield VPN software accused of spying on users and injecting ads

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I'm using chrome on my mobile and mobile version of YouTube. The ads aren't playing on their own, if I watch a random video I'm not getting political ads.

What I'm saying is when I go to YouTube.com right at the top of the page is a suggested video, which is a Trump ad against Biden. There are three little dots next to the campaign video and when you hit it, the pop up window says:

Save to watch later
Why this ad
Cancel

Every other suggested video on my homepage when you hit the the three little dots says:

Not interested
Save to watch later
Cancel

So my point being, there is no option for "not interested" on the political ads. When you click "why this ad" it says:

This ad may be based on:

• The time of day or your general location (like your country or city) Visit Google's Ad Settings to learn more about how ads are targeted or to opt out of personalized ads.

After I visited Google's Ad settings and removed political ads and campaigns it didn't do anything and I still have Trump ads as a suggested video on the top of my home page.

It's not bothersome I just find it weird and feel there's a conspiracy here because I'm left and YouTube is suggesting Trump campaign ads.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It's not bothersome I just find it weird and feel there's a conspiracy here because I'm left and YouTube is suggesting Trump campaign ads.

While google clearly likes pushing a lefty agenda, at the end of the day they are a capitalistic company and making money (honestly no pun intended) trumps all.

They want your bucks regardless of which side of the fence you sit on.

I think honestly if 'conservative' thinking was majority thinking, you'd soon see companies like google leaning more right.

But they do what they do, because they know people will still visit them and still generate them revenue despite hating how they do things.

Also on the 'homepage' where it recommends videos along with showing content of channels you're subbed too, those 3 dots add an option of "I am not interested in this video" and "do not recommend videos from this channel" with an option to say why you're not interested.

If you can maybe get on your account on a PC, visit that page, see if the ad video is there, then use that to tell it to not recommend content from that source.

A lot of my advice though still stand for mobile devices, it's just trickier to get it working as effectively as on a PC though.

But yeah, seeing previous US elections and the bots and propaganda and the methods on both sides used to push them, Americans really shouldn't be surprised by these kinds of things anymore.

Won't change until you change the government, and I mean replace the whole system, not just swap one #ty team for another #ty team who are both playing the same game under different names.

Regardless of who you elect under the current system, you still have the same government and policies.
Brewsters Millions said it best.

Vote for real change, vote for them all to eff off in 2020.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Did you read my previous response? The "not interested" option is not available on the Trump campaign videos. I find that suspect. I'm not a Trump supporter so I find Trump videos on my homepage suspect. I removed political campaigns from Google ad settings and it still shows up so I find that suspect. Three different things that make it all very suspicious in my mind.

Plus the Biden cocaina one is so bad it seems like Comedy Central or SNL made it. Lol "TheBidening" LMAO

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

I believe I read those Trump ones are paid for by his campaign. One of the talking heads said it.

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Come on man! That's a bunch of Mularkey!

posted on Aug, 19 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Yes you-tube auto loads ADDS most can be closed after 5 seconds most are around 15 seconds lol .
BUt when a advert pays MORE you-tube makes it so you cant close the add and Biden as much as you hate him has just as many who like him and he gets tons of campaign donations so can afford the extra YouTube charges .
But lets be afir Trump has adverts taht auto play as well even on you tube and BOTH are NOTHING more then how bad the other guy is AND BOTH are true .

when a politician has nothing good to say about them self they base the other party the idea of look there worse .
All our voting has become from Clinton on is a Other guy bash .
The right keeps talking about sheep and waking people up while they walk around like the zombies the left are .

Your the same there is NO difference from Trump and Biden Both are only OUT for them self POWER and Money YOUR money .Untill Both sides finly realize we are ALL being DUPED we will just keep getting the worst senate house congress presidents Governess.

I live In AZ we have a Republican Governor we had LOOTING Riots we also had the 7th worst out brake of the virus so tell me again how its the Blue states .

Trumpsters still insist Trump is great and yet the looting goes On and Trump FOLDED .
Trumpsters say Trumps Great while he push the fake news virus front now he prompts mask amazing transformation .

Trump Folded he even looks like a man who lost . every time i see him on tv now he LOOKs beaten like he would rather be playing golf .
As for Biden BOTH are a bad hand .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join