It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Object Oumuamua Isn't What We Thought It Was , the Mystery Continues

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Any idea for how long this thing is traceable and if so do they trace it or try to trace it so they can find out where it's originating from?

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Hey Observer I found this article

suggesting there are 4 possible stars that it has passed by

which could give a better idea as to its origin

Atronomers Identify possible origins

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I wondered about the lack of observed outgassing as to suggest its acceleration
but this statement here explains that

The earlier study, published by Seligman & Laughlin in 2020—after observations by the Spitzer Space Telescope set tight limits on the outgassing of carbon-based molecules—suggested that if ‘Oumuamua were a hydrogen iceberg, then the pure hydrogen gas that gives it its rocket-like push would have escaped detection.

But scientists at the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian (CfA) and the Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) were curious whether a hydrogen-based object could actually have made the journey from interstellar space to our solar system.

from this article

another twist in the debate of Oumuamua

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   
If it were an alien probe, it likely checked out the habitable planets and moons (Uranus, Neptune, Titan and Europa) and found no signs of intelligent life, so quickly sped off to the next target. An automated probe would be unlikely to even notice the hot rocks orbitng close to the sun, let alone think of checking such inhospitable places for life!

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

I disagree , given that life in the universe is most likely carbon based like us , would require sun like we do , so the goldielocks zone applies to all biological life
so they wouldnt miss that area at all
it would be there primary target

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Who knows

Maybe this is an ancient derelict of a spaceship.. drifted in space for millions of years, forever fly through the sea of stars.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I understand, And completely, 100% agree.
Damn wolves interfering with my birthday guests... Again.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Could it be a Spacer Ya know those big ones ? Dont think I need to draw anyone a better picture here but perhaps it was.

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Viperion

Hope it not one of these

www.bing.com... l=http%3a%2f%2fblog.trekcore.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2019%2f11%2fplanet-killer.jpg&exph=354&expw=696&q=star+trek+planet+killer&simid=607990674266 656028&ck=C6448C0674C1AE9C7CF06E9DAD021D08&selectedIndex=20&qpvt=star+trek+planet+killer&FORM=IRPRST

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Dp
edit on 20-8-2020 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue LOL Im still kinda mad they messed with old television series version !

posted on Aug, 20 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Any idea for how long this thing is traceable and if so do they trace it or try to trace it so they can find out where it's originating from?

It is no longer "traceable."
Too small. Too distant. For all we know, it could have turned around.

edit on 8/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   

or stopped just outside the range of our detection

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Has anyone seen any figures for just how much this unexplained acceleration was? Are we talking anything significant, or something barely measureable? That would seem to be rather important in the "Is it aliens?" debate. I mean if the thing changed velocity by 0.04 meters per second or something like that, for what purpose do we think aliens needed to make that slight of an adjustment to their velocity? Why would they make any adjustment, knowing we would detect it? I could see them making some kind of emergency burn to avoid a collision or something like that, but this doesn't appear to have served any purpose, aside from the course change. And any course change could've waited until they were beyond range of our detection.

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

originally posted by: projectvxn

a reply to: gortex

So we know what it wasn't but still don't know what is was , not sayin it's Aliens but

How uncivilised of them not to pop by for a cup o' tea and a chat, eh?

If I swung by this hood I'd lock my doors and roll up my windows.

I dunno, if you took America out of this hood, it wouldnt be too bad a place

Haven't traveled much have you? Or picked up a book? This is an impressively naive and sheltered statement. Not your fault though. The media routinely misrepresents how well off Americans are compared to other countries.
edit on 21 8 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: gortex

Traveling at a blistering speed of 196,000mph in 2017, 'Oumuamua was first classified as an asteroid, and when it later sped up, was found to have properties more akin to comets.

Once again, consumer grade science gets it wrong. It did not speed up. What it did was not slow down quite as much as it should have.

While hydrogen ice does sublimate at very low temperatures, that is not the only ice which Oumuamua may contain.

"Heat diffusion during the stellar tidal disruption process also consumes large amounts of volatiles, which not only explains 'Oumuamua's surface colors and the absence of visible coma, but also elucidates the inferred dryness of the interstellar population," Zhang said. "Nevertheless, some high-sublimation-temperature volatiles buried under the surface, like water ice, can remain in a condensed form."

arstechnica.com...

You make so much more sense when you stick to scientific matters. Well done.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It is with absolute authority that I say Oumuamua is NOT a Toyota Camry.
And that is gospel.

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I uhm... I laughed way harder at this than I'm comfortable admitting. It was more than just the words, something to do with it being Phage that wrote them...
I can't... I can't even glance back up at the post without losing it again...
Ok, this might be a personal problem...

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChayOphan
It is with absolute authority that I say Oumuamua is NOT a Toyota Camry.
And that is gospel.

Is it possible it's a Tesla?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Haven't traveled much have you? Or picked up a book? This is an impressively naive and sheltered statement. Not your fault though. The media routinely misrepresents how well off Americans are compared to other countries.

What?

What has wealth got to do with my claim that the World would be a better place without America in it?

posted on Aug, 21 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

a reply to: face23785

What?

What has wealth got to do with my claim that the World would be a better place without America in it?

Whatever propaganda you've swallowed that caused you to think that is from the same type of people that claim Americans have #ty lives because of unweighted and biased OECD rankings.

Let go of your bigoted hate for a country you know nothing about. Or at least take it elsewhere cause I'm not gonna derail the thread any longer with your baseless garbage.
edit on 21 8 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join